Are there any Khmer language word or phrases that get on your nerves?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bedazzler!
Expatriate

Are there any Khmer language word or phrases that get on your nerves?

Post by Bedazzler! »

I hate when my girlfriend just says "Klee-un" to announce she's hungry. I know that Khmers don't often use pronouns or subjects that the start of a sentence, it's implied. And I get that they don't use a separate equivalent of the verb "to be." So "klee-un" means "I am hungry."

It still makes me feel like I'm talking to a whiny infant whenever she says it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Are there any Khmer language word or phrases that get on your nerves?

Post by explorer »

Som loi - which means - money please.

I don't have any problem with the words themselves. I don't like it when lazy people expect to be given money. More so when there is anything fake about them. It does not matter if they communicate by words or actions.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Bedazzler! wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:25 am I hate when my girlfriend just says "Klee-un" to announce she's hungry. I know that Khmers don't often use pronouns or subjects that the start of a sentence, it's implied. And I get that they don't use a separate equivalent of the verb "to be." So "klee-un" means "I am hungry."

It still makes me feel like I'm talking to a whiny infant whenever she says it.
That is probably because you are new to Khmer. You will probably get used to how they express things and think nothing of it.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Or not

Does it get on your nerves or not?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

English language* phrase oft used by khmer-

'up to you'

Meaning. It's your decision, but woe betide if it doesn't work out as I wish, and I still have a secret plan all of my own which you won't know about until at least 1 sec after your plan is put into place thinking that it really was 'up to you', at which point everything will be changed.

*not apologetic in any way
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Kwat
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:24 am English language* phrase oft used by khmer-

'up to you'

Meaning. It's your decision, but woe betide if it doesn't work out as I wish, and I still have a secret plan all of my own which you won't know about until at least 1 sec after your plan is put into place thinking that it really was 'up to you', at which point everything will be changed.

*not apologetic in any way
:thumb:
GF gives me that everytime i ask what SHE would like for dinner..

a phrase my daughter would use and would piss me off
"never mind"
Khmer??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

"never mind"
Khmer??
[/quote]

"never mind" = mai pen rai ? = muen awtay .. ( ¿ same as no ? )

Not sure , i cannot find a cambodian teacher who speaks thai to teach me .. I would rather learn that way because they don’t even know enlish and can’t write it 👆🏽as you see above . If they use american money i would wish they could speak a little of our language

I cannot learn this language because they use some thai words and change the meaning and pronunciation .
Some are same .. I been kicked out of the school i tried here ‘ for being thai ‘ ...
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:32 pm "never mind" = mai pen rai ? = muen awtay .. ( ¿ same as no ? )
Never mind is មិន ​អី​ ទេ or mun ai tae.

ទេ or tae is no.

Ask a Cambodian for the correct pronunciation. It is not the same as English, however you spell it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic