Security guards with "BHQ" on uniforms

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Security guards with "BHQ" on uniforms

Post by Multipox »

These guys look like well-trained government military

but they are apparently guarding private businesses and construction site like on Norodhom

They have BHQ prominently displayed on their uniforms and they wear bullet-proof vests, which seems excessive for security work

unless something is up

anyone know who these guys are and what is up with them?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Security guards with "BHQ" on uniforms

Post by John Bingham »

They are the Bodyguard Unit, an elite part of the military who answer directly to the PM and nobody else. They used to have PMBU tags but the BHQ is more normal nowadays.
They aren't guarding businesses along Norodom, they are placed in strategic areas to guard the traffic.
You will see many of them stationed along the main boulevards when a VIP or dignitary from overseas is passing in a motorcade.

While they are called a Bodyguard Unit, they are equipped with helicopters, APVs, mobile missile systems etc like a modern infantry brigade. They are better equipped and paid than any other units. Don't mess with them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It always worries me when cops/troops start wearing black.This is the same unit 5 years ago.
They still had the world's best bodyguard kit then too, and you still wanted to steer well clear. That will never change.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

The BHQ that I saw wore army green uniforms.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Srokchkai
Tourist
Latvia

Post by Srokchkai »

If I recall correctly it stands for Bun-Rany Hun Quarter. In other words the elite security for HE.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Srokchkai wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 pm If I recall correctly it stands for Bun-Rany Hun Quarter. In other words the elite security for HE.
It stands for Bodyguard Headquarters, the previous acronym was Prime Ministers Bodyguard Unit.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Srokchkai
Tourist
Latvia

Post by Srokchkai »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:25 pm
Srokchkai wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 pm If I recall correctly it stands for Bun-Rany Hun Quarter. In other words the elite security for HE.
It stands for Bodyguard Headquarters, the previous acronym was Prime Ministers Bodyguard Unit.
I stand corrected :hattip:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:23 am They are the Bodyguard Unit, an elite part of the military who answer directly to the PM and nobody else. They used to have PMBU tags but the BHQ is more normal nowadays.
They aren't guarding businesses along Norodom, they are placed in strategic areas to guard the traffic.
You will see many of them stationed along the main boulevards when a VIP or dignitary from overseas is passing in a motorcade.

While they are called a Bodyguard Unit, they are equipped with helicopters, APVs, mobile missile systems etc like a modern infantry brigade. They are better equipped and paid than any other units. Don't mess with them.
Interesting that the top pic shows BHQ with chinese bullpups and the bottom shows one with what looksl lie a US asault rifle. I haven't seen any BHQ with American guns for a long time.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

At times it makes one think twice is it worth the answer, why would someone put in the effort to reply to ones question.
I would also say the subject is sensitive to say the least, JB has replied with the knowledge that he knows, and here takes the time and passes on with the information that was asked, that is the way of most forums would be, informative in this case. It could be said in these matters you could have a try to get answers in one of the many riverside bars, pull up a bar stool and then swilling down a few drafts one may fall lucky, chatting with the ex SAS man to his left, then pops in the ex GI who would tell you his tales of Nam, both now can argue about how they will become top security of the country. That also makes me think of why questions like this are posted, possibly to make ones tall story a little more interesting or believable perhaps.
It was a few years ago I had an invitation to go somewhere, without going into any more details about were, it is a bit of a no area of instruction and warnings from the government here and my own country. While I was there, l was to meet a guy who was involved in the training of this guard that the OP questions about, this occurred possibly down to wrong place, wrong time. I left the group of Khmer, who I was with, to take a piss discreetly in the trees away from the group, there I was zip undone and glancing to my left, (that made me jump) it being a bit of a shock at the time, there standing, two soldiers very well armed.
I have never seen military like this here in the country before. I was made aware later of another two soldiers in cover of the opposite tree line. I was invited to eat with the trainer (we will call him) the Khmer friends I was with said I should, they sat to eat together on another floor mat not too far away, being provided with food and drink from this unit. He talked to me about a few subjects, and also the sensitivity of the area that we find ourselves in, he was extremely knowledgeable, and very well educated, I gathered that this was certainly of overseas training, to a very high standard in his field of work. He explained to me how sensitive the area was, he then made is presence and standing known by giving a order to one of the few men beside him dressed in casual clothes, like that of himself, he would watch over me, while his presence and small unit was there, saying it may make me feel better, and that no harm came to you has we are here, the guy lifted the bottom of his shirt to show his sidearm, I replied thank you, and I am fine. It would make us feel better, you never know in this area, was his answer to me, this guy was my shadow and that without any words, for two hours before they left in the formation of SUVs.
The following day I was to meet a great guy, whom has a young boy lost his arm to a landmine, since he as dedicated his life to the cause of clearing mines, in the hopes that he can prevent what had happened to him, not be the burden on nor harm to others. Thing is that week they found 14 mines, 3 of them were in the area we had previously been, those where detonated in situ due to being unable to move them. Wow they make a bang.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

The men in these uniforms are in such great physical shape they are oblivious to the heat.
They are masked like special units in Europe, Mexico etc to afford them anonymity.
Certainly elite...
I am not sure why people want to make childish remarks and fling spitballs like they are in kindergarten.
I think we have all known men who were soldiers.
I grew up with real men who did not often talk about their youth spent in WW2.
I missed Nam by one year and have a great many friends who went back to Kansas after spending a year or two over this way in the shit.
Now, I have a guy with PTSD from Iraq causing shit with my 76 year old buddy who was in Nam.
You never know what the guy sitting next to you went through.
I had a friend years ago I met because he had a few too many beers and needed to talk about being a tunnel rat. I listened and then I took him to breakfast and then I drove him home. We were friends after that.
I often look at older Khmer people and wonder how they survived. My wife is from Kampong Cham.
I wonder how all these people older than me who are so kind to me made it through the 70s...80s...
I have 2 friends here in Siem Reap who were in the military of the wrong party in 93. You sure wouldn't guess what they went through or the training they had.
I think if a person has knowledge based on facts ..it is worth listening to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic