Cambodia's teenagers 3rd laziest in the world.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Cambodia's teenagers 3rd laziest in the world.

Post by hiway5 »

Brody wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:27 am
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am
Username Taken wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 am Minest???
Come on UT....opposite of 'mostest' :D
Settle down you shiftless, lazy bogans.......sweet jesus, 89%?!? Get your shit together. Go outside and scoop up some kangaroo turds off the roads or something.
They heard you "or something"
Couple caught in ‘intimate’ Langley Park act
The West Australian
Friday, 22 November 2019 11:16AM

Shocking vision has emerged of a couple appearing to engage in an intimate act in Perth’s Langley Park in the middle of the day - in full view of office workers and passers by.

The footage was shared on social media yesterday afternoon by The Bell Tower Times, and shows one person straddling another in the middle of the park while a group walks past within metres of the act.

The vision appears to have been shot from a nearby office building.

The post has been viewed almost 20,000 times, with users sharing their incredulous reactions in the comments.

“Hope they are wearing sunscreen,” one person wrote.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

hiway5 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:20 pm Shocking vision has emerged of a couple appearing to engage in an intimate act in Perth’s Langley Park in the middle of the day
Aw, Christ....that put me off my food.....I bet it smelled like a mixture of stale farts, liquid ass and Vegemite....

Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:48 am Completely misleading headline. Should be something like least outdoor playtime.

South Korean kids work hard. No even close to lazy. Saw a program on Netflix about it. Wake up early morning to school that finishes in the afternoon then cram school until around 10 PM or so. After dinner and homework, sleep at around 1-2 am. Repeat daily to get ahead. In terms of productive study time, they are tops.

Compared to them. American kids are beyond lazy.

Average Khmer kid in public school doesn’t even have a chance.
When I first came to Cambodia, I taught secondary Math and English, ages 15-16, to my class of 95% Korean kids. I often say Khmer people are incredibly lazy, but my class of Koreans made my Khmer students look like ambitious Rhode Scholars.

As for American kids being lazy, yes, we have several, but most are pushed into competitive athletics of some kind at early ages. The percentage listed in the OP don't seem even remote accurate, based on my experience.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Three out of four American families with school-aged children have at least one playing an organized sport — a total of about 45 million kids. By age 15, as many as 80 percent of these youngsters have quit, according to the Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine.May 4, 2014
https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/20 ... story.html

So 75% of children do as their fathers tell them until age 15 when it decreases to 20% and then they stop submitting to their fatherès dream that they will play in the NFL and smoke dope and hang out with girls.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Laziest kid in the world is my Cambodian 12 year old on the computer in the bedroom next door. Doesn’t leave the bedroom all weekend. Luckily her little sister is the opposite and plays several sports.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Have taught Khmer kids for 3 years. Can certainly agree that the title is misleading, as I would always ask my students to state then clarify their study hours and extracurricular activities. Can confirm that of some 400 students over that time the vast majority were studying around 7-8 hours on average, some as high as 12 (plus time helping their parent set up shop and close shop on either side).

So I couldn't call my PP kids lazy. I can't imagine that kids / teenagers in the countryside get less than 1 hour of physical activity a day. Their families will rely on them working the farm or something of the sort.

This all sounds like that poll that was done that determined the living cost for food in Cambodia was sort of like $1000 a month. It's possible, but only available to an exclusive minority.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'll let you in on a little secret
89% of everybody is lazy.

When it comes to living their dreams.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AzalKH wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:38 pm I can't imagine that kids / teenagers in the countryside get less than 1 hour of physical activity a day. Their families will rely on them working the farm or something of the sort.
That's why I can't give this study much credence. Kids in the countryside do a lot of hard work, and as far as I can see spend a whole lot of time cycling/walking to school, playing games and sports too. My kid is only half-Cambodian, and he spends a lot of time playing PS4 and on devices, but he's also very active and trains at football, swims and plays all sorts of games quite a few times a week. I'd like to find out who the study group where because it doesn't ring true. Sure there are slovenly kids here but most are very active,
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AzalKH wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:38 pm Have taught Khmer kids for 3 years. Can certainly agree that the title is misleading, as I would always ask my students to state then clarify their study hours and extracurricular activities. Can confirm that of some 400 students over that time the vast majority were studying around 7-8 hours on average, some as high as 12 (plus time helping their parent set up shop and close shop on either side).

So I couldn't call my PP kids lazy. I can't imagine that kids / teenagers in the countryside get less than 1 hour of physical activity a day. Their families will rely on them working the farm or something of the sort.

This all sounds like that poll that was done that determined the living cost for food in Cambodia was sort of like $1000 a month. It's possible, but only available to an exclusive minority.
so in school all day ( 8 hours) studying 7-8 hours, (how could a kid possibly studying 12 hours in a day)?) traveling to and from school 1 hour
i would surely say that is extremely unhealthy

As i recall as a child, ( 7-14) we would get off school around 3 pm, home by 3:30 and than would spend the remainder of the day playing outside till it got dark and we were called in for dinner
and those that were involved in sports spent 2-3 hours after school doing that.

i'd like to see what the rated as being "lazy"
I'd venture to guess since "smart" phones came into existence, 95% of the kids whose parents give them one, have become lazier
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am
AzalKH wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:38 pm Have taught Khmer kids for 3 years. Can certainly agree that the title is misleading, as I would always ask my students to state then clarify their study hours and extracurricular activities. Can confirm that of some 400 students over that time the vast majority were studying around 7-8 hours on average, some as high as 12 (plus time helping their parent set up shop and close shop on either side).

so in school all day ( 8 hours) studying 7-8 hours, (how could a kid possibly studying 12 hours in a day)?) traveling to and from school 1 hour
i would surely say that is extremely unhealthy

As i recall as a child, ( 7-14) we would get off school around 3 pm, home by 3:30 and than would spend the remainder of the day playing outside till it got dark and we were called in for dinner
and those that were involved in sports spent 2-3 hours after school doing that.
I should point out that I was including time spent on homework and my students generally considered extracurricular activities like karate or sports with an instructor as classes too, actual school hours tended towards 5-7 hours. For the 12 hour students, there were a couple, from different families, whose parents had no time or nearby family to look after them, in addition to the notion popular in some of Asian society that more hours studying is better than less. So bouncing between a few schools / institutes within a close area was a 'safe' parenting alternative for them. Both had serious social and attention problems as a consequence, they complained of never fitting in anywhere. They were exceptions though for sure.

I definitely agree that many kids here in PP spend an unhealthy amount of time in schools and would benefit more from being allowed to be kids.

As a kid I always spent a few hours outside each day, though I always was living either in rural areas or suburbs near forests or coast, so I'm not sure how I'd have handled living in a city as a kid. However, once again deferring to my students, many play some kind of sports with friends or go swimming each week, others I often saw running around playing by the side of the street with their friends, so I guess that they make do.

I suppose some of the mid-late teens could be described as pretty physically inactive, but could hardly be weighted so heavily that they'd offset the hundreds of thousands of kids in the provinces.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic