FCC refurbishment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MightyMariner
Tourist
Great Britain

FCC refurbishment

Post by MightyMariner »

Walked past the FCC today and I see it is gutted out for a refurb. Any idea on when it is meant to be open again?

thanks.
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: FCC refurbishment

Post by fax »

One and a half year
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Never fear, this wonderful neo-colonial delusion will be returning.

Fab, I can still go in there once a year pretending to be a seasoned French plantation owner just in from the bush, ostentatiously ordering the only good creme caramel in town (true, still) and being loudly insulting to all the savvy young sophisticated world travellers and wannabe anglo literary geniuses.

Tanya (the legend) and i did just that on the very last time we met.

Do they still drink Pink Gins in there - the poseurs?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ah yes, the heady days of the early 50s when my grandfather ran a rubber plantation in Chhup and would amble down to the capital every weekend to sit drinking pastis on the FCC's veranda.
And then later on in the 70s with war looming, the journalists would sit on the balcony of the FCC and watch the Khmer Rouge positions across the river being bombed.
Only problem being that the place never existed till 1992-3.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

But but i can still smell Sean Flynn's sweaty tee shirt..

And surely Somerset Maugham penned the first draft of "Of Human Bondage" sitting at the verandah, looking out at all the expats and their new g/f's promenading along the riverside boulevard..
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Never liked FCC. I frequently went across the street to Touk though. Same views, less crowds, service better.

I could always get a seat at Touk overlooking the riverside.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I never liked it that much but it was for a long time one of the only nice places on the riverside. There's a pleasant ambience there with good views and a cool breeze blowing from the river. It has interesting historical photos on the walls and isn't hugely expensive. If any relative or friend is visiting for the first time it's on the list, there's nowhere quite like it even if the journalists abandoned it about 24 years ago.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I wrote it off after the service was absurdly terrible. Not the usual service of looking at their phones in the corner and you have to go get them, but just completely disappeared for a time. The views and the river breeze can be found at so many places like Touk which I mentioned, just not the historical appeal and photos though.

Seems it will be closed next time I am around anyway.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:09 am isn't hugely expensive
Really? Not sure what you're used to, but for the quality (or rather the lack of) you get at the FCC in Phnom Penh it's extremely overpriced.

IMO
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:50 am ... just not the historical appeal and photos though.

There's nothing very historical about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic