Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

Post by Captain Bonez »

No.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:06 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 am Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
I respectfully disagree with your assertion that the only difference between tax and bribes is what we call them. A few reasons:

- Lots of people are now paying their taxes here. Bribes are in addition to taxes, not instead of them.

- Corruption has disproportionate negative consequences for poor people, the very people that taxation is supposed to pay for safety nets to protect. If you're poor, paying taxes, and then still expected to pay the same bribes as rich people for basic services, you're getting shafted twice as hard.

- Taxes are set at transparent rates and if you don't like them, you can vote for someone who will change them.

- Where we come from, you can still use emergency services even if you aren't earning enough to pay tax. When bribes are required just to get a response from emergency services, the consequences can be terrible and unjust.
Just a couple of points.

- Lots of people are now paying their taxes here.

And there are lots that don't

Bribes are in addition to taxes, not instead of them.

If they are not paying taxes then it cannot be an addition.

If you're poor, paying taxes,

If you are poor how much tax do you think they pay.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Duncan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 am Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
In America it is called the revolving door.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Can we work up some sort of price list?

It would make things go a lot smoother.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

A little bribery keeps salary low...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Multipox wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:02 pm Can we work up some sort of price list?

It would make things go a lot smoother.
No. They are officially not supposed to be taking bribes, and officially not taking bribes. So there is no set price. They often just try to get as much as they can. The amount can be different at different places, and with different people.

I mentioned before, if someone videos people taking bribes, they lose their job, because they have exposed a secret that makes Cambodia look bad.

They think we don't know.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Often the one who took the video and the one who posted the video is pursued as well, for making the Cambodian people ‘lose face’ (not a crime in the legal code, but punishable anyways).

I always thought that the ‘revolving door’ meant government workers who retire and become ‘consultants’ of private corporations who have government contracts (ie, political influence).

Yet another reason I distrust big government providing more and more ‘services’. The overall heads can be voted out of office, but the legion of system workers remain. Big government’s job is to find any reason to get bigger. Small government takes less taxation from the people (and allows people to spend their money as they wish). I know that it is a tremendously unpopular view among some members, but it’s just something that we agree to disagree about.

But it could be worse. Did anyone read about the personal stories of police corruption by a Vietnamese woman living in America? The cops in Vietnam confiscated the family car only giving it back after the father treated the cops to food and drink and KTV for 2 nights, females detained for not giving the cops her phone number/ not calling them afterwards to go on dates, etc.

Again, sorry for the long winded posting.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

We bought 20 rai of rice field and had to register the property at the district land office which opens for business at 8. We arrived at 7:50 to find a waiting room full of people. At about *;30 my father in law tired of the very slow speed that people were being served went and spoke to a gentleman in a uniform and slipped him 1000 baht note. The uniformed officer then went to the office manager who sits at the big desk overlooking his staff and handed him the cash. The office manager stood up and placed the cash in his pocket, called an employee over and spoke to him then pointed to my father in law. We were served next and left.

As to Newkidontheblocks assertion corruption is the end result of big government, I would suggest reading "A study on the relationship between corruption and government size: the role of democracy" https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/25015/

It's findings indicate " Using annual data from 82 countries from 1995 to 2008, the estimation results indicate that an increase in government size can lead to a decrease in corruption if democracy level is sufficiently high and, in contrast, can lead to an increase in corruption if it is too low." Corruption has far more to do with the level of democracy a nation enjoys than the size of the bureaucracy.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you ride a motorbike and wear a GoPro, or helmet camera, the police will leave you alone. They don't like being filmed.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by NitNoi »

In the Philippines I was sponsored a student who planned to become a policeman. I was concerned how my friend would handle corruption by fellow officers and invited the local police chief to join us for a couple of beers one evening.
When I eventually asked about bribery, his brief answer was "It takes two".
I would have preferred a fuller discussion but the subject was closed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic