Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jeffy
Tourist
Malaysia

Post by Jeffy »

Is it real in cambodia also, " no money no help"...
Here means no extra money beside ordinary process cost, there is no service..or they will delay,postpone ,slow down,put aside your application...

Thats a cultural... their government encourage or allow their officer to have this side income oso..
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Is this a common for cambodia officer to get briber?

Post by IraHayes »

Well .... when a Captain rank in an RCAF department goes for $8k one would expect a return on that investment.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jeffy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:57 am Is it real in cambodia also, " no money no help"...
Here means no extra money beside ordinary process cost, there is no service..or they will delay,postpone ,slow down,put aside your application...

Thats a cultural... their government encourage or allow their officer to have this side income oso..
This is normal with many things you need to get done in Cambodia.

Officially it doesn't happen. If someone gets filmed receiving a bribe, they may lose their job. Not because they received the bribe, but they let outsiders know about the secret side of Cambodia, and made the country look bad.

It is a secret that everybody who has been here for some time knows about. So it is not really a secret. They just think it is.

Officially they want everybody else to stop being corrupt, as long as they receive money themselves.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 am Well .... when a Captain rank in an RCAF department goes for $8k one would expect a return on that investment.
To get certain jobs, people pay more than a lifetime's salary. They go into the job expecting to get money from sources other than their salary.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Duncan wrote:Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
Tax in first world countries is usually transparent, well regulated and documented, and is used for communal benefit.
Bribes or ‘tips’ are obscure, not regulated or documented, and are for personal gain. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jah steu wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 pm
Duncan wrote:Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
Tax in first world countries is usually transparent, well regulated and documented, and is used for communal benefit.
Bribes or ‘tips’ are obscure, not regulated or documented, and are for personal gain. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually ,,,,That's the key word. But not always transparent. If it was we would be able to see exactly where the $60 million ? went and what it actually paid for when the OZ government paid money to the Cambodian government in the deal on refugees.

Probably thousands of similar cases in the past, but they are all forgotten as we concentrate on newer problems.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Duncan wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 am Extra payment for service is a part of the system,,,,the same as in yours and mine countries. The only difference is we call it a tax and it is also apart of our system and is quite legal.
I respectfully disagree with your assertion that the only difference between tax and bribes is what we call them. A few reasons:

- Lots of people are now paying their taxes here. Bribes are in addition to taxes, not instead of them.

- Corruption has disproportionate negative consequences for poor people, the very people that taxation is supposed to pay for safety nets to protect. If you're poor, paying taxes, and then still expected to pay the same bribes as rich people for basic services, you're getting shafted twice as hard.

- Taxes are set at transparent rates and if you don't like them, you can vote for someone who will change them.

- Where we come from, you can still use emergency services even if you aren't earning enough to pay tax. When bribes are required just to get a response from emergency services, the consequences can be terrible and unjust.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

It's a shame that you have to explain that to a fully grown man
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:14 pm It's a shame that you have to explain that to a fully grown man

Can I blame it on my lack of education and trust of governments.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic