What happens when a Pacific island upsets China

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: What happens when a Pacific island upsets China

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

markd wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:02 pm
the entire country is an example of ecosystem destruction without any regard for anything except $$$

makes a mockery of so called communism when their persuit for the $$$ is paid for by ecosystems extinction
Yeah, Bastards!
They are nearly as bad as bloody capitalists in that way.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Another island holds out against the Chinese:
Tuvalu: Pacific nation turns down Chinese islands and backs Taiwan
21 November 2019
The tiny South Pacific nation of Tuvalu has rejected offers from Chinese firms to build artificial islands that would help it deal with rising sea levels, its foreign minister says.

Simon Kofe told Reuters he saw the offers as an attempt to reduce Taiwan's influence in the region.

But he instead reaffirmed his country's support for Taiwan.

China has increased efforts to expand its influence in the Pacific, alarming the United States and its allies.

Only 15 countries recognise Taiwan as a sovereign nation and have full diplomatic relations. A number of countries have switched their allegiance from Taiwan to China in recent years.

China refuses to have diplomatic relations with any country that recognises Taiwan.

In recent months Taiwan lost two allies in the region, when Kiribati and the Solomon Islands switched diplomatic recognition to China. Beijing has been accused of luring them in with the promise of financial aid and airplanes.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Seems to be lots of animosity toward China on this site but there are so many taching jobs for Chinese teachers in Cambodia. It's weird because no one wants to learn Chinese in Brazil but they are generally very well regarded and definitely respected as a power to contend with. China can now flex economic and military might.

I wouldn't worry about their expanding sphere of influence though; its a done deal and it DOES include Cambodia.

As for the Muslims, as an American, I can't help but remember Guantanamo bay or the children along the boarder with Mexico caged and seperated from their parents. And honestly, the Muslims in Xinjiang aren't aren't really assimilating that well. They assimilate well in Sicuan province but not in Xinjiang, at least not while I was there.

All the best things in my life have from China so I really can't be objective.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

Pretty stunning to read someone is giving the Chinese a free pass with their Muslim genocide and human organ biz and claiming their lack of assimilation gives China every right.
Toss in comparing obama's separating children from parents who try to cross illegally from Mexico into the USA....by the way, if a parent is taken into custody in the USA, they are not allowed to take their children to jail with them...just thought I would let you know.
Toss in Gitmo...Now he is aghast at the treatment of Muslims...It seems the USA...your home country...should get the same break as China.
I don't think any of the Muslims locked up at gitmo were going to assimilate in the USA if given the chance.
I may be a bit jaded since the Chinese bought my building in Sihanoukville and I got evicted with 7 months on my lease. I think they have a monster to feed and don't care who or what gets in their way.
I don't think their economy can come close to the growth levels the people are used to.
They were forced to stop banks from loaning money to people to purchase stocks with..when their market lost 1/4th of its value...
They are trying to stop companies from obtaining loans from shadow banks.
Xi is trying to stop off shore gambling as billions is gambled away.
In Argentina the markets owned by chinese are detested by the locals.
I have yet to meet a Khmer who likes chinese.
I only know a few Vietnamese and they don't like chinese.
Their largest companies have huge debts and the state still gets its cut off the top I suppose.
Hong Kong is becoming more pivotal.
But, if a person owes their everything to the party...than they can have their opinion.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

"All the best things in my life have from China". Did you mean to say have COME from? If so you are one rare yank. Unless you are an avid buyer of cheap Chinese shit from Walmart. And how does Brazil fit into this?

Johnny
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

j57 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 am Pretty stunning to read someone is giving the Chinese a free pass with their Muslim genocide and human organ biz and claiming their lack of assimilation gives China every right.
Toss in comparing obama's separating children from parents who try to cross illegally from Mexico into the USA....
Obama didn't seperate families, that was a Trump iniative.

Organ harvesting?
Muslim genocide?
Really?
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:37 am "All the best things in my life have from China". Did you mean to say have COME from? If so you are one rare yank. Unless you are an avid buyer of cheap Chinese shit from Walmart. And how does Brazil fit into this?

Johnny
Yeah - all the best things in my life have COME from China.
All six of my kids are 1/2 Chinese
My beautiful wifes - all of them - just yummy.
The best students and most easy to manage.
Best paying jobs and plus the two houses I bought and one I sold and bought a rental house in Arkansas when the housing market in USA tanked - I stepped in and snatched up with them China kwai.
All the best things.

Brazil was/is an adventure and though I love China, SE Asia is my next adventure.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I think your love affair with all things Chinese is going to be a hard sell in SEA. They are not exactly well loved in the region, aside from a great many politicians lining their pockets. In particular I wouldn't be advertising it in Kampot as the many Sihanoukville refugees are likely to lynch you.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 am Organ harvesting?
Muslim genocide?
Really?
Yes really, B Boy.
(not actual genocide yet, just a bit of multiple murder, mass torture and the internment of 1 million Uyghurs in concentration camps. All these features are recognised as precursors to actual genocide. Cultural genocide also comes under the heading of Genocide under international law, a process that is well under way for all Muslims in China)

Did you not open a newspaper or turn on a TV anywhere in the world (except in China, of course) last week?

Two highly detailed major reports from universally accepted (except by China, of course) organisations on these very two subjects. Crimes against humanity on a massive scale.
Not a good week to be a China apologist, my friend.

Are all the good things in your life worth that inexcusable compromising of your objectivity, B Boy?
Really?
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

BrazilBoy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 am
j57 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 am Pretty stunning to read someone is giving the Chinese a free pass with their Muslim genocide and human organ biz and claiming their lack of assimilation gives China every right.
Toss in comparing obama's separating children from parents who try to cross illegally from Mexico into the USA....
Obama didn't seperate families, that was a Trump iniative.

Organ harvesting?
Muslim genocide?
Really?
China Cables: Who Are The Uighurs And Why Mass Detention?
To better explain China’s actions and the findings of the China Cables, we answer some key questions about who is involved, the crackdown’s origins, and the significance of the secret documents.
https://www.icij.org/investigations/chi ... detention/

China is harvesting organs from Falun Gong members, finds expert panel
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN1TI236

Sorry BrazilBoy, but I think you display a willful ignorance on the topic of China. While it may increase your social credit score in China it lowers your credibility in the rest of the world.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic