Is this ethical?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is this ethical?

Post by hunter8 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 am
Researchers have found that people show a greater stress response when lying in a second language
because it is already more challenging to speak the second language and lying increases the cognitive stress.
Haha, this is interesting.
Problem is no matter that I tell the truth, Khmer ladies still think I am lying. I mentioned before they don’t believe me when I say I had never had a Cambodian girlfriend. It’s because I speak Khmer to them.

What can science recommend? Keep telling the truth or start lying that yes, I did have a Cambodian girlfriend but we broke up long ago? And I am not ready to give up speaking Khmer to them because it’s part of the fun for me when being in another country.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Told my daughter when she was around 4 and amazed that a grown up would lie for any reason
Once you start lying you have to constantly remember what you said and you will be caught out eventually..
When you tell the truth, nothing to remember, as its the truth
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

He dates a khmer woman for a few months then imposes this test on her to determine her motivation for being with him.

I couldn't help thinking.... Why the need for this?

The reason seems to be
he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.
It sounds to me like the guy is looking for a shortcut so as not to waste any more time on the said woman and can move on quickly to another. In other words, he's not prepared to commit too much time and effort.

The test also suggests the guy does not know or would not normally find out until much, much later.

I would have thought that one could/would be able to discern a woman's motivations by what she says and how she acts that would serve as indicators or tell tale signs right from the start anyway?
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 »

xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm I was recently chatting to someone who explained to me how he goes about deciding if the Khmer women he meets are keepers or not.

He says that he'll date a woman for a couple of months, get to know her, let her know that he's not exactly rich but is doing ok, and see where the relationship goes.

If it seems to be going ok, after a couple of months, he'll invent a story which puts him in a very negative financial situation. Usually something along the lines of a member of his family back home becoming very sick, and he has to start sending money back to help out. He'll make out that he can just about afford it, but he'll have to do things like find much cheaper alternative accommodation, stop eating / drinking out and basically cut right back on his (their) living expenses.

He keeps this up for a few weeks and gauges how his new girlfriend reacts to the new situation. He said many of them will find excuses to leave him, in which case, he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.

If she sticks by him and is prepared to weather the storm so to speak, he knows she's a keeper. Once he's satisfied that she's not with him just for money, he'll simply say that the family member has recovered and all's back to normal.

I'm torn between thinking that this is genius and thinking that this is a pretty terrible thing to base a relationship on.
Ethical. Hhhmmmm sometimes i wonder is anything ethical in Cambodia. I married a khmer lady. I didnt realise i was also marrying mother,father,brotherand 3 sisters.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kratom123 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:34 am Ethical. Hhhmmmm sometimes i wonder is anything ethical in Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Try dating with a girl from rich family, than you will find different result.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Adam Xie wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:50 am Try dating with a girl from rich family, than you will find different result.
It is amazing, foreigners don't date girls from rich families.

Then girls from rich families are all different individuals, some might be good, some might not.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Foreigners date and marry women from rich and Okhna background.
Foreigners also date and marry Royal Family princesses.
High society women are also attracted to foreigners with high moral values and education, it’s not all about money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kratom123 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:34 am
xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:32 pm I was recently chatting to someone who explained to me how he goes about deciding if the Khmer women he meets are keepers or not.

He says that he'll date a woman for a couple of months, get to know her, let her know that he's not exactly rich but is doing ok, and see where the relationship goes.

If it seems to be going ok, after a couple of months, he'll invent a story which puts him in a very negative financial situation. Usually something along the lines of a member of his family back home becoming very sick, and he has to start sending money back to help out. He'll make out that he can just about afford it, but he'll have to do things like find much cheaper alternative accommodation, stop eating / drinking out and basically cut right back on his (their) living expenses.

He keeps this up for a few weeks and gauges how his new girlfriend reacts to the new situation. He said many of them will find excuses to leave him, in which case, he's grateful that he's learned something about her now rather than further down the line.

If she sticks by him and is prepared to weather the storm so to speak, he knows she's a keeper. Once he's satisfied that she's not with him just for money, he'll simply say that the family member has recovered and all's back to normal.

I'm torn between thinking that this is genius and thinking that this is a pretty terrible thing to base a relationship on.
Ethical. Hhhmmmm sometimes i wonder is anything ethical in Cambodia. I married a khmer lady. I didnt realise i was also marrying mother,father,brotherand 3 sisters.
It's obvious you did not check with other members married to Khmer woman first before you got married ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Seems to me that the underlying questions are :
1- Do people from there lie more than people from here ?
2- Is it good to tell a lie in order to know the truth ?

1- It's a PTSD recovering country, and you look like an efficient potential victim, so expect to attract some mosquitoes, fair enough

2 Seems a good idea, but no. Why raise the suspicion first ?

Playing tricks is ok toward a proven trickster, but not to be served as an appetizer for your relationship straightforward.

Takes time, but great feedback when you never lie. Good stuff go to you, because people can smell honesty, feel the vibe. Consciously or not.

Lying in a foreign crowded gossiping land would be like running through a minefield, blindfolded. An erratic run with a random end.
Values and precautions only.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic