VR Headsets

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: VR Headsets

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I have a friend who is big into PC gaming and has a great set-up I got to use it a couple of times so Pros and Cons

Cons
1. Sweaty Face
2. Expensive
3. You have to set up a fairly open room with it and then mount sensors (though newer ones have built-in sensors so you can supposedly take them anywhere)
4. Still, lack an of games to take full advantage of this opportunity
5. You can get motion sick

Pros
1. Very Immersive experience
2. A fun new way to play games and interact with people
3. Fitness programs are actually really fun to do

While there seem to be more cons on the list the pros are pretty awesome and make up for it in my eyes I think with some work VR could really take off.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I remember growing up in the 80's, watching Lawnmower man and thinking how amazing it will be when that sort of thing becomes reality. Putting on a headset and entering a fully immersive digital world where anything and everything was possible, not that different from entering that hologram room in Star Trek that simulates real environments (for the geeks among us).

It's quite strange when you think about it that now that all of this science fiction stuff has come true, the sorts of things geeky schoolboys like me would salivate over, that there's so much apathy around it all.

I think back to when I was 12 and how I'd react to wearing a pair of glasses that overlayed digital information about what I was looking at into my line of sight as I walked around. A pair of glasses I could talk to, ask questions and it would reply to me as if I'd asked a friend. The stuff of true science fiction, yet Google Glasses barely made it to market.

Even Microsoft aren't really marketing their Hololense all that much. Not as a mass market product anyway. They're aware that the general public just aren't that interested. It's a great tool for business, training people to do otherwise dangerous jobs and the like, but as mass market product, they know that it just wouldn't take off, much like VR is sadly becoming and Google Glasses became. Maybe Apple will be the one to bring out the killer feature?

I still find it odd that we're living right now in a future not too dissimilar to what was predicted 30-40 years ago, yet nobody seems to give a toss.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

When Google glass was introduced it was in San Francisco, despite techs omnipresence there, there are a lot of people who value their privacy. Taking photos and geotagging them of other people rubbed many people the wrong way, as in my opinion, it should have. I love the information the Internet provides, I do not love being tracked, without consent, by ad agencies, governments, insurance companies etc.
me going to apply for health insurance, the insurance company pulling up a photo of me drinking in a bar at 2 am. "Well, obviously he's prone to risky behavior, and he seems to be very intent on pulling that girl, who, according to other photos,
He just met". I made that scenario up, but, what if the girl was an old friend? What if I just met her and slept with her bareback? What if I did but never had before in my life?
up to you...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It reminds me of when 3G became a thing. The big marketing USP of it was the ability to make video calls. Something that, for many many years, people had only thought of in terms of science fiction. We all watched 'Technology of the future' programmes on TV during the 70's, 80's and 90's and video calls were always a main feature.

Then when they became a reality, people realised that they couldn't call their wives from the bar to tell them they were working late, or they couldn't phone their boss to tell them they couldn't come to work today because they were sick without actually looking sick and not just sounding it. Video calls soon became a "be careful what you wish for" technology.

It's now become an unwritten rule that you don't video call anyone unless the other party is fully expecting it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:45 pm It reminds me of when 3G became a thing. The big marketing USP of it was the ability to make video calls. Something that, for many many years, people had only thought of in terms of science fiction. We all watched 'Technology of the future' programmes on TV during the 70's, 80's and 90's and video calls were always a main feature.

Then when they became a reality, people realised that they couldn't call their wives from the bar to tell them they were working late, or they couldn't phone their boss to tell them they couldn't come to work today because they were sick without actually looking sick and not just sounding it. Video calls soon became a "be careful what you wish for" technology.

It's now become an unwritten rule that you don't video call anyone unless the other party is fully expecting it.

It wasn't so long ago that 3 G nearly didn't happen in Cambodia. A now banned newspaper reported that a certain lady wanted it banned because girls would be asked to send live pictures of themselves to boyfriends and whoever.

Anyone remember that ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Isn't reality enough for you?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You dug up a 4 year old thread for that stunning observation?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic