Cambodia in the News: Travelling Through History

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodia in the News: Travelling Through History

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

I thought it might be interesting to see how Cambodia has appeared in the papers over the years. I have a paid subscript to Newspapers.com (mainly for a genealogy project) so I will share what I find for the interested parties. Note most of the available articles are from the USA. The first mention I found was in The Pennsylvania Packet/ Philadelphia, Pennsylvania/Friday, June 03, 1785 - Page 2. It is a fleeting mention of Cambodia in a publication talking of a ship's voyage on the Pacific Ocean. It briefly mentions the French's improvements to a settlement near the area of Chochin China (Vietnam) and Cambodia and the people there.

. :lol: . Image
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia in the News: Travelling Through History

Post by Clutch Cargo »

dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Great link! Yeah, I had to Google it too. I had no idea what was happening when I first pulled it up. 😅
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Fab topic - the first post goes straight to one of the most vexatious subjects of "The Enlightenment"
- who was the first "person" (ie, white male) to "discover" the Jungle Fowl, the progenitor of the domestic chicken.

This "news" piece of outlandish hogwash printed by The Pennsylvania Packet ^^^ simply highlights the seditious nature of the American colonies. Pure fake news - an american speciality from the very start it seems.

The perfidious French frog, Monfieur Sonnerat's outrageous claim to be the first to sight the Jungle Fowl is nothing more than another deluded Napolianite fantasy of French imperial grandeur - a lie most fowl.

EVERYbody know the rightful honour of making this important find is due to an Englishman, William Dampier - born a gentleman - many years a full blown outlaw Caribbean pirate - then a Royal Naval Captain fighting the dastadly french frogs - then Expedition Commander of numerous navigational and scientific expeditions for the Royal Navy - the first man to circumnavigate the globe 3 times - the "father of Australian naturalism", 100 years before Banks and Cook - the only full blown pirate to hang in the National Portrait Gallery.

AND - "discover" of the Jungle Fowl!! (in cambodia).

I offer as my source - The Penny Magazine of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1835)
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=bK ... wl&f=false

(For more on William Dampier -
"A Pirate of Exquisite Mind' by Diana Preston is excellent)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I had no idea the French were probing into the Vietnamese kingdoms in 1785. I knew the Portuguese and Spanish had been around long before that but not the French.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Yeah going through old newspapers is pretty interesting you never know what you will find.
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Announcement of a statistical account of measures taken to suppress the systematic murder of female children by their parents. Sadly, it's still a rather large problem in certain countries. Side note in a quick search I didn't notice much news about this still being a problem in Cambodia does anybody have any research on why and how this changed?

Charleston Courier
Charleston, South Carolina
Friday, March 20, 1812 - Page 2

Link about modern day infanticide.
https://www.thoughtco.com/female-infant ... sia-195450
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

The National Gazette
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Thursday, February 26, 1824 - Page 2

Panama VS Canal
Length 50 Miles 23 Miles
Depth 43 Feet 12 Feet
Width 500 Feet 80 Feet
Time 10 Years 6 Weeks
Workers 40,000 26,000
Deaths 20,000+ 7,000

Notes on Panama Canal; A lot of these are approximated as I found different sites had different answers. Also, these measurements are more from the cut canal areas and not the lakes.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 pm Announcement of a statistical account of measures taken to suppress the systematic murder of female children by their parents. Sadly, it's still a rather large problem in certain countries. Side note in a quick search I didn't notice much news about this still being a problem in Cambodia does anybody have any research on why and how this changed?
This news clipping also refers to work by the Right Rev Beilby Porteus D.D. (Dr of Divinity)

So my guess is - when the missionaries stopped, so did many of these lurid slanders about "barbaric cultural practices"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

dontbeasourlemon wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 pm Announcement of a statistical account of measures taken to suppress the systematic murder of female children by their parents. Sadly, it's still a rather large problem in certain countries. Side note in a quick search I didn't notice much news about this still being a problem in Cambodia does anybody have any research on why and how this changed?
I have never heard of it. It seems unlikely considering there is a bride-price for female progeny here rather than the dowry system practiced in India,for example. I think it's just some hysterical nonsense written by a pastor from third-hand accounts.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic