Foreigner creates translation app to talk to Cambodians but they just want to talk about his cock

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Foreigner creates translation app to talk to Cambodians but they just want to talk about his cock

Post by explorer »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:47 pm FB's Khmer translation matrix is dog awful, nowhere near as good as Google (which is itself pretty dire). Often it'll go into weird loops, like in an address it'll say something like "house number 14, of the road, of the road, of the road, of the road, of the road". Obviously my Khmer is virtually non existent so I'm not in a position to help fix it. But it needs serious work.
That is what people with billions of dollars have come up with.

As the years go by, it should get better. It is just a matter of how long it takes.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Foreigner creates translation app to talk to Cambodians but they just want to talk about his cock

Post by xandreu »

Brody wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:44 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:36 pm but I was very relieved that this was what she actually meant as opposed to how some, including myself, could have interpreted what she meant.
Yikes bud, how else could you have interpreted what a mother of a 12 year old daughter sitting in your classroom for a parent teacher conference, was saying?

That's a disturbing mental leap to make.
I did pause before I posted it, wondering if the court of CEO would judge me with out of context insinuations rather than just take it at face value as an odd story regarding how things can get lost in translation. Even the TA could see how it might have sounded.

I guess you had to have been there. But judge away....
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm That is what people with billions of dollars have come up with.
come on, any expat web developer could do better in 12 hours

monstra mihi bona!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:01 pm I can relate.
Will not tell more unless VIP nightlife section.
I'm not really sold on the benefits of, uh, member-ship

monstra mihi bona!
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:32 pm Perhaps if he stopped using the name "Tripod Rod" people would take him more seriously.
Hah....that was pretty good. But then again, I think "Thor's Hammer" has already been taken....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Who cares about the App, what did they say about his cock? Can people please stop going off topic? I thought this was a safe place but now I'm feeling triggered.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic