$100US notes

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $100US notes

Post by hunter8 »

My experience has been always an unhappy face from a waitress or a mart cashier and a “do you have smaller bills, sir?” when I pull out a 100 usd note to pay. Tired of this. Now I just try to pay with a bank card when I can.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't understand people who only use dollars here. There is no benefit in changing a $100 bill into smaller dollar bills for a money changer so of course they will charge you for it. I don't remember ever doing that, but I regularly go to money changers and get, for example, $30 in Riel and the rest in dollars for a $100 bill.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm I regularly go to money changers and get, for example, $30 in Riel and the rest in dollars for a $100 bill.
Are they happy to do this? I will try this trick then, thanks.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm I regularly go to money changers and get, for example, $30 in Riel and the rest in dollars for a $100 bill.
Are they happy to do this? I will try this trick then, thanks.
This is what they do as business, I can't figure out how it is profitable but it obviously is or they wouldn't bother. It's a whole lot better than getting scalped at an exchange in the west where there's a minimum $3 commission or whatever + extra charges.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

My wife clarified for me she gets the going rate.
Since, we usually say $1=$4,000 riel...if the rate that day is $4,100 she gets more riel back in a transaction where she is breaking the bill 50/50.
I think most people on here are already aware that you give your Khmer wife or a trusted friend your dough to go shopping or to money exchanges.
Even my wife dresses down to go to the local markets. She does not roll into them looking like she did at the airport a few days ago.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I would always withdraw with an amount ending in $X90 or $X95. Break any $100 at easier place to do so (I.e Aeon).

I remember being a newb and taking a photo of 100’s, couldn’t be arsed after a while but always did it if I was in shitsville.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic