Mercedes Car Hit by Debris Falling from 42th-Floor Building Site

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Mercedes Car Hit by Debris Falling from 42th-Floor Building Site

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Watch where you park your Mercedes !

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On November 20, 2019, at 1:40 pm, a Mercedes car, plate no. PP2BC-7788, was hit by a piece of steel that fell from the 42th-floor of a building site on Monivong boulevard in Sangkat BKK1, Phnom Penh.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mercedes Car Hit by Debris Falling from 42th-Floor Building Site

Post by jaynewcastle »

So lucky somebody wasn't killed
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:10 pm So lucky somebody wasn't killed
Sure, and it was only a month or two back that a huge solid steel rod fell off that structure and speared some passing car's engine. The car was on the opposite side of Monivong to the construction. The site was shut down for a few days for "inspections". I noticed they put up a lot of windows recently but the inside is still pretty much a shell. A decayed concrete shell with rusty rebar. They might as well just blow up that thing and start again, it's jinxed. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

No lucky - it's the second time!!

My kids could have been there - it's reckless endangerment.

Ironman will shut the site.

C***s
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:23 pm No lucky - it's the second time!!
I don't get you. I was talking about an incident a few months ago in reference to this event, so I meant second time. I have lost count of the number of times that project has stalled. It's like a graveyard to condo ambitions.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:29 pm
Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:23 pm No lucky - it's the second time!!
I don't get you. I was talking about an incident a few months ago in reference to this event, so I meant second time. I have lost count of the number of times that project has stalled. It's like a graveyard to condo ambitions.

Ahhh - same as you - Second time near miss JB.

Forget the never ending bollocks put windows and nothing inside.

Even me who likes construction won't even ask a bid and no-one here will either - we know the fucking outcome - zero :beer3:

The second point is Ironman dun like the people endangered either - he will act.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

November 21, 2019
Construction halted at Gold Tower 42
A metal beam plunged 42 storeys yesterday afternoon hitting a car on Preah Monivong Boulevard in Boeng Keng Kang district, prompting Phnom Penh Governor Khuong Sreng to temporarily shutter the construction site of Gold Tower 42.

No one was hurt in the incident and Mr Sreng visited the construction site shortly after the beam fell.

“We went down to temporarily shut down this construction site because we have already told them a few times before,” he said, referring to two previous incidents involving falling debris at the construction site located at the intersection of Monivong and Sihanouk boulevards.

“If they were permitted by the Land Management Ministry, we will later decide whether construction can resume or not,” Mr Sreng added. “As for the damage to the car, we have already ordered police officers to prepare documents.”

A few months ago, a piece of rebar fell from the tower and sliced through the hood of a Lexus SUV.

Gold Tower is 200-metres tall, built on a 129,300 square metre plot of land. It is a multi-purpose commercial building set to house a shopping mall, offices and condominiums.

The project began in 2008 and has already been delayed three times: first in 2009, following the global financial crisis, and again in 2012. Construction resumed in 2013 and then stopped again in 2017.

Liu Nianxin, CEO of Hongtao Decoration, a company involved in the construction of Gold Tower 42, could not be reached for comment yesterday. However, in January he said construction will finish early next year.

First Lieutenant Tith Sophanha, a commune police officer, said the beam was part of a construction elevator and the car it damaged was a Mercedes.

“It fell down 42 storeys and hit the rear glass of the Mercedes,” he said. “No one was injured during the incident.”
He noted similar incidents happened in the past.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50662317/c ... -tower-42/

Gold Tower has history. Note that a previous incident occurred at the site on 31 July 2019:
newsworthy/lexus-suffers-hit-from-gold- ... er#p352230

A general thread on the Gold Tower construction:
business-and-finance/phnom-penh-gold-to ... 16729.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Imagine if you were using the elevator!!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Hopefully things will stop falling off this building when it's (eventually) completed.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Investors who bought into GT42 are advised to find other nearby tall buildings to fall from in the meantime.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic