Stanford American School ignoring students sexual allegations!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Stanford American School ignoring students sexual allegations!!!

Post by Yerg »

Speaking from a position of reporting a safeguarding issue in a school some 10 days ago, it would be easy for me to think that the school was doing nothing. Until today... There are protocols in place (certainly in the UK) that must be followed when something potentially untoward has been reported. (I don't know the protocols, but was beginning to feel worried that nothing was being done).

Fast forward to today, and I was invited to meet with the safeguarding team to reiterate my concerns and what I thought I had seen and why I thought that it needed further looking at. The professional that I had reported is still working there, and is still doing their job. Until such time as the school has enough upon which to take action, then the person clearly should be afforded the "innocent until proven guilty" position.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

These are all just rumors and allegations at this stage. I hope they aren't true. The only reason I brought attention to the principle was his bizarre introduction and perhaps the fact that I couldn't find any solid reference on their website to any other teacher's names or pictures? Have a look yourself.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nedconcern
Tourist
Australia

Post by nedconcern »

The school name is SAS stanford american school. Branch for young child near indra devi high school, toul kork.

Its NOT Advanced Stamford international school. Wanna make sure its clear its not them I'm talking about. Don't want cause problems with them.

Management team has known of allegations since the week before bon om touk. Police don’t know.

Nothing agains teacher. That is why I didn’t tell his name. Maybe his not guilty. I hope.

Maybe theres a protocol but how can be the protocol that same teacher is still teaching the girls ?? The school should investigate and put him in a different class with teaching assistant untill the investigation ends.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

nedconcern wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm Nothing agains teacher. That is why I didn’t tell his name. Maybe his not guilty. I hope.
So, you teach English and this is your writing? Are you sure that you aren’t baselessly smearing this school?

You write like you need English classes.
nedconcern
Tourist
Australia

Post by nedconcern »

fax wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:53 pm
nedconcern wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 pm Nothing agains teacher. That is why I didn’t tell his name. Maybe his not guilty. I hope.
So, you teach English and this is your writing? Are you sure that you aren’t baselessly smearing this school?

You write like you need English classes.
No I do not teach english.

Do YOU teach at SAS and are you more concerned with keeping your job then protecting the girls which made the allegations?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

nedconcern wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:05 pm Do YOU teach at SAS and are you more concerned with keeping your job then protecting the girls which made the allegations?
Yes. The school pays me to question accusations against unnamed individuals. You’ve caught me red handed.

Are you a family member of one of the girls?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

nedconcern wrote:The school name is SAS stanford american school. Branch for young child near indra devi high school, toul kork.

Its NOT Advanced Stamford international school. Wanna make sure its clear its not them I'm talking about. Don't want cause problems with them.

Management team has known of allegations since the week before bon om touk. Police don’t know.

Nothing agains teacher. That is why I didn’t tell his name. Maybe his not guilty. I hope.

Maybe theres a protocol but how can be the protocol that same teacher is still teaching the girls ?? The school should investigate and put him in a different class with teaching assistant untill the investigation ends.
Why haven't the police been contacted? Child abuse is a criminal matter, not a school management matter.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm
nedconcern wrote:The school name is SAS stanford american school. Branch for young child near indra devi high school, toul kork.

Why haven't the police been contacted? Child abuse is a criminal matter, not a school management matter.
Contact the police with what? A complaint has been filed? And then provide all the details from the student to the police without consent of the student? You simply can't.

If the student / parents file a complaint with the school, for the school it's a school matter unless student / parents escalate the case. If student / parents want to take it further, they can. But that's not up to the school to decide.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I'm referring specifically to the parents reporting a crime to the police. If this happened to my child that would be my first step.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:29 pm
epidemiks wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Contact the police with what? A complaint has been filed? And then provide all the details from the student to the police without consent of the student? You simply can't.

If the student / parents file a complaint with the school, for the school it's a school matter unless student / parents escalate the case. If student / parents want to take it further, they can. But that's not up to the school to decide.
Re the questions bolded above:

1. allegation of child abuse
2. yes
3. you're assuming the student(s) haven't given consent. Anyway, do the student(s) need to in such an alleged incident like this?
4. why not?

I know some may have little faith in the police to investigate but as mentioned earlier in this topic, how much faith would you have with the school doing a proper investigation when they are concerned about their reputation? Anyway, does it necessarily have to be the police? Aren't there are other independent child welfare organisations that could investigate?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic