Drought Warning for Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Drought Warning for Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

November 20, 2019
MRC warns of drought from now until January

The Mekong River Commission yesterday warned that severe to extreme drought is expected to hit countries in the lower Mekong basin from now until January, putting crop production at risk and causing water shortages.

An MRC preliminary analysis noted that Cambodia and Thailand will be hit harder than Laos and Vietnam.

It said data shows that the drought is caused by insufficient rainfall during the wet season because of delayed arrival and earlier departure of monsoon rains and the El Nino phenomenon that has created abnormally high temperatures and high evaporation rates.

“During a normal year, the monsoon rain usually starts in late May and ends in October,” the analysis said. “But this year, it began almost two weeks late and departed about three weeks earlier.”

It noted that during the third and fourth weeks of this month, the vast majority of the lower Mekong basin parts are expected to be impacted and the drought condition is forecast to worsen from next month to early January, with most parts of the basin having little to no rain.

“Cambodia’s northeastern part, including Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear and Siem Reap provinces and the north and northeastern regions of Thailand would be affected the most while parts of central and northern Laos and Vietnam’s Mekong delta would also be impacted but less severely” the analysis noted.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50661331/m ... l-january/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Drought Warning for Cambodia

Post by Queef »

What a surprise! Who came up with this super insightful analysis? It's not like people (locals and expats alike) have been saying the same thing for over 6 months now!

The real question is: what kind of dumb solution will the RGC come up with this time, when hydropower dams operate at less than 25% of their capacity? Another Turkish boat? A Mexican burrito? Let me guess: a refurbished coal-fired plant from China that was decommissioned for failing to pass basic environmental tests based on Chinese regulations...

It's going to be one dark and hot dry season... But hey, gotta look at the bright side. At least there will still be Rolls Royces and Bentleys left and right. Rolls Royces and Bentleys. No electricity or water though.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Queef wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 am What a surprise! Who came up with this super insightful analysis? It's not like people (locals and expats alike) have been saying the same thing for over 6 months now!

The real question is: what kind of dumb solution will the RGC come up with this time, when hydropower dams operate at less than 25% of their capacity? Another Turkish boat? A Mexican burrito? Let me guess: a refurbished coal-fired plant from China that was decommissioned for failing to pass basic environmental tests based on Chinese regulations...

It's going to be one dark and hot dry season... But hey, gotta look at the bright side. At least there will still be Rolls Royces and Bentleys left and right. Rolls Royces and Bentleys. No electricity or water though.
Who is going to worry about water when in the kingdom of wonder you can drink and bath in cheap beer.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What date for the first rolling power cut in Phnom Penh?

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Duncan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am
Queef wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 am What a surprise! Who came up with this super insightful analysis? It's not like people (locals and expats alike) have been saying the same thing for over 6 months now!

Who is going to worry about water when in the kingdom of wonder you can drink and bath in cheap beer.
Can you wash your Bentley with cheap beer though? The BRROA (Bentley & Rolls Royce Owners Association) may have to conduct a feasibility study first and decide whether cheap beer is suitable or not.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 am What date for the first rolling power cut in Phnom Penh?

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...
I think it started last week (14-16 if I'm not mistaken). So yea... December 24th.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Queef wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:51 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:12 am What date for the first rolling power cut in Phnom Penh?

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...
I think it started last week (14-16 if I'm not mistaken). So yea... December 24th.
I saw those cuts but I don't think they were due to shortages, I got the impression it was for some maintenance work. I might be wrong...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...
I saw those cuts but I don't think they were due to shortages, I got the impression it was for some maintenance work. I might be wrong...
It must've been maintenance work... I'm hoping it was maintenance work. It sure looked like some good ol load shedding though. There's an article on cne however the memo from EDC attached to the article is in Khmer.

My friend told me that the RGC was supposed to put 160mw of solar energy online before dry season 2020. What's the current status? 60mw?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Queef wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:25 pm

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...
It must've been maintenance work... I'm hoping it was maintenance work. It sure looked like some good ol load shedding though. There's an article on cne however the memo from EDC attached to the article is in Khmer.

My friend told me that the RGC was supposed to put 160mw of solar energy online before dry season 2020. What's the current status? 60mw?
I am away from this place from March 1 to April 30 next year for big trip. Not an accident those dates, they were booked with power cuts and super hot months in mind. If we are into power cuts by early January I might just relocate to Pattaya for a couple of months.

I vowed last year I wasn't gonna put up with that crap again...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:31 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:25 pm

My call is January 26th

Place your bets...

I am away from this place from March 1 to April 30 next year for big trip. Not an accident those dates, they were booked with power cuts and super hot months in mind. If we are into power cuts by early January I might just relocate to Pattaya for a couple of months.

I vowed last year I wasn't gonna put up with that crap again...
If I remember correctly, rainy season 2018 was pretty wet, yet we still had major power cuts during dry season 2019. Just picture how dry season 2020 is gonna be like with the tiny little bit of rain we got during rainy season 2019.

I did a quick research and there are 400mw planned for 2021 (Chinese HFO and LNG using Finnish and German turbines) and, wait for it, a hydropower dam in Pursat. Oh man... Is Pattaya nice around January?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic