ApplePay, SamsungPay, etc.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

ApplePay, SamsungPay, etc.

Post by hunter8 »

Have you seen these used on a lot of POS-terminals? I got the sales girl in a Kiwi-mart to accept payment by ApplePay, but it was like the first time she saw someone pay with a phone like that. Kiwi-mart keeps up with the contactless card technology. Know any others?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ApplePay, SamsungPay, etc.

Post by Spigzy »

There’s a whole bunch of retailers taking AliPay & WeChatPay - as western influence dwindles in the political climate, I wouldn’t expect too much excitement on other mobile payments from out west just yet. Indeed the Chinese are miles ahead on mobile payments- forget plastic.

Domestically you can use Pi Pay, SmartLuy, WingPay, etc. same same.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Every time I see locals buying something they use cash only, no matter that the shop advertises acceptance of various payment systems like the ones you listed.

Bank cards are not going to go away any time soon, in SE Asia too. It is in the best interest of banks to provide a POS-terminal to a shop supporting latest contactless technology to compete with the likes of Alipay, etc. Bank card transaction fees add to banks’ profits.

Contactless card payments make using traditional bank cards faster, more safe, more convenient and sometimes the only payment option available if the bank issued a virtual card only (no actual plastic) which you load into your NFC-enabled smartphone.

Contactless terminals usually have a symbol similar to this on them:

Now there also exist contactless card ATM machines so one can withdraw cash using their smartphone only but I won’t ask if you have seen one here. Contactless POS-terminals in major shops would already be a big step.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

hunter8 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:37 pm Every time I see locals buying something they use cash only, no matter that the shop advertises acceptance of various payment systems like the ones you listed.

Bank cards are not going to go away any time soon, in SE Asia too. It is in the best interest of banks to provide a POS-terminal to a shop supporting latest contactless technology to compete with the likes of Alipay, etc. Bank card transaction fees add to banks’ profits.

Contactless card payments make using traditional bank cards faster, more safe, more convenient and sometimes the only payment option available if the bank issued a virtual card only (no actual plastic) which you load into your NFC-enabled smartphone.

Contactless terminals usually have a symbol similar to this on them:

Now there also exist contactless card ATM machines so one can withdraw cash using their smartphone only but I won’t ask if you have seen one here. Contactless POS-terminals in major shops would already be a big step.
One thing with cards is that most locals don't have them, and most of those that do have, have no idea how to use them. I know many people who might have bank card, but have never use it, but they do use Pi Pay or Wing some what frequently. Cambodia is still pretty much cash only country. I'm pretty sure the second most used payment option is mobile payment and only then comes cards.

Also contactless card payments in Cambodia are pretty useless as they still requires signature on the receipt which takes a way the convenience.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 pm Also contactless card payments in Cambodia are pretty useless as they still requires signature on the receipt which takes a way the convenience.
The big convenience of contactless card payment is about not having to take your wallet with a card with you. A NFC-enabled smartphone is enough.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

China's Alipay partners with Cambodia's mobile payment service provider DaraPay
China's Alipay, the world's largest online and mobile payment platform, has partnered with Cambodia's DaraPay, allowing customers to use their Alipay wallets to pay at DaraPay's POS payment system across Cambodia, DaraPay's general manager Phok Ratha said on Monday.

"With this partnership, Chinese tourists can scan and pay with their Alipay app at all DaraPay merchants with more than 3,000 outlets in capital Phnom Penh and in Kandal, Kampong Cham, Siem Reap and Battambang provinces," he told Xinhua.

Alipay serves over 1.2 billion users together with its regional partners and is the preferred payment method of Chinese tourists, according to a joint statement issued on Sunday...
https://www.shine.cn/biz/tech/1911186334/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic