Chinese "Zero-Cost Tours " Blamed for Lost Angkor Wat Revenue

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese "Zero-Cost Tours " Blamed for Lost Angkor Wat Revenue

Post by John Bingham »

Probably not as I don't have one. :(
Silence, exile, and cunning.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

The second time my family visited from overseas on a 3-week holiday with no fixed agenda, the conversation went something like this:

'Will you go to the temples again?'
'Yeah, probably..'
'It's gone up to 37 bucks.'
'No then.'

You can't blame the Chinese for this one, Mr. Tourism Minister.

The significant price increase probably won't put off first and maybe only time visitors but it's enough to put normal people off going again. (My family are quite normal.)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:29 pm See, even JB returns. (Probably with his new piece of ass).
pictures

monstra mihi bona!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:33 pm Probably not as I don't have one. :(
Damn brah. 2019 isn’t even over yet!
There’s always Tinder/Grndr for your 2020 visit to the temples.

(I’m free!)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have visited Angkor Park on many past occasions, the last being back in 2015, not so much, that the new price hike had put me off going, but more of the many Chinese visitors that I had noted and read about that would be there. It puts me off slightly in wanting to take photos of a temple in peaceful surroundings it was once those years ago on recent visits, to now hope for a somewhat clear view with less people.
The last visit, also the tuk-tuk driver was not interested and just wanted to rush around and finish the tour has soon as possible was obviously better for him. It certainly was not as enjoyable in the recent years where, we seemed to get value for our dollar.
That being some time ago I have been thinking recently of another visit, but thinking of spending more time there, such as buying the 3- or 7-day pass, the latter giving the more days and time, also bringing the cost down too just slightly over $10 per day seems terrific value. But, how to get around the temple complex independently without hiring a driver and tour, riding the moto or car is apparently not allowed for a foreigner, only permitted for a Khmer, so, bicycle maybe the only answer, and that may have been more suited 20 years back. But on the other hand, there is no rush.

Types of passes
Passes for several durations are available.
As of February 1st 2017, prices will be:

 1 day at US$ 37
 3 days at US$ 62
 7 days at US$ 72

There are two versions of the multi day tickets. The older version’s validity is for 3 or 7 consecutive days. The newer version’s 3-day ticket is valid for any 3 days within a week, the 7-day ticket for any 7 days within a month. Admission for children younger than 12 is free.
The following sites with plenty of information –

https://www.mappytravel.com/angkor-wat- ... mples-Info

https://www.visit-angkor.org/blog/2018/ ... needaguide
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic