How Many Thailand Farang Are Broke?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: How Many Thailand Farang Are Broke?

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

When I first got here there were loads of the old school oil and gas guys on big money throwing it around like there was no tomorrow and I could see the kind of falseness of it all, certainly nightlife wise. Probably made me more cautious.

I live a perfectly comfortable life now on less than 10% of what I earnt a month when working in Thailand a few years ago. I don't think that makes me poor, I prefer prudent because I never saw the need to spend much more than that when I was working.

10,000 baht food
5,000 baht utilitity bills
5,000 baht social
5,000 baht spare for travel/other.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Convert these A$ prices to, USA $ and see if you can find a better price in Cambodia
Cambodia is not cheap any more

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Duncan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am Convert these A$ prices to, USA $ and see if you can find a better price in Cambodia

prices are similar to what is seen at Coles n Woolworth
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Quote ]. prices are similar to what is seen at Coles n Woolworth
That's exactly where I bought them. Now compare them to Cambodian prices.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand
lettuce 49 baht
tangerines(imported) 80 baht/kilo,oranges 40-80 baht/kilo
Milk 1lt 44 baht
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

fuck me the AUD sucks right now
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am .... If a guy is too poor for Thailand it is time to go home and live on the dole.
That is not your right to decide that.

that's his right
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Multipox wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am
Isaanbarang wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am .... If a guy is too poor for Thailand it is time to go home and live on the dole.

that's his right

No, your wrong. It's the governments right to decide if he lives on the dole.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

crob wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am Convert these A$ prices to, USA $ and see if you can find a better price in Cambodia

prices are similar to what is seen at Coles n Woolworth
I just spent 6 months in sothern europe. Meat is about the same, fruit, veg and milk far cheaper. Rent, 1 bed apartment incluing all utilities (electric,wifi, water) euro 270 a month. beer aboutthe same as Thailand (2 Euro 400ml), cigarettes about the same as Thailand(4 euros 1 pack of marlborogh), medical same as Cambodia (private international clinic 25 euro appointment, 20 euro xray). The only thing that really hit me was petrol at $2 a litre. Asia is becoming increasingly overpriced when you consider the wages
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Multipox wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am

that's his right
Multipox, does your home country allow indigent foreigners to obtain visas? In order to get a visa to America you must show you have health insurance and enough money to finance your stay. Even Canadians that do not need visas will be questioned about how much money they have with them for their holiday. I believe it is Thailand's right to determine who enters and what the qualifications are. I for one am sick of westerners bitching about how their countries are overrun with poor refugees and illegal immigrants and then turn around and bitch about being required to show proof of funds to stay in Thailand. Prices in Thailand, for the most part, are substantially lower than in our home countries. Unless one is Thai one has no right to live here, we are guests. It is not my right nor his right to choose, it is Thailand's right. I would prefer to stay at the Waldorf Astoria but can only afford motel 6, is the Waldorf required to lower their price to accommodate me? No of course not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic