Generator

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Generator

Post by Doc67 »

How much does a small generator suitable for a 70 sq meter apartment cost? It must be capable of running a 1.5HP air con unit plus TV, fans etc?

As always, many thanks in advance...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Generator

Post by Duncan »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am How much does a small generator suitable for a 70 sq meter apartment cost? It must be capable of running a 1.5HP air con unit plus TV, fans etc?

For watt it's worth , here's watt I think.

The price you pay for the generator is the last thing you should be thinking about. Firstly it's the size output and next is petrol or diesel. If your going to run it for long periods buy diesel, short times and portability buy a petrol generator but they are hogs on fuel.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am How much does a small generator suitable for a 70 sq meter apartment cost? It must be capable of running a 1.5HP air con unit plus TV, fans etc?

For watt it's worth , here's watt I think.

The price you pay for the generator is the last thing you should be thinking about. Firstly it's the size output and next is petrol or diesel. If your going to run it for long periods buy diesel, short times and portability buy a petrol generator but they are hogs on fuel.
"Watt Watt"… very good...

I'm not too keen on keeping petrol anywhere near me, diesel seems safer. Are the diesel ones noisier?

Will a small basic one be capable of powering up the system? Is there a spark out there that could answer the question?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:28 am Will a small basic one be capable of powering up the system?
Look at the wattage of all of the things you may have on at the same time, then add them up, and get an alternator with a higher wattage. With most things the wattage should be written on them.

The air conditioner may use the most. Washing machines also use a lot.

Think about noise. If I lived in a place with land around it, and had an alternator, I may put it in a pit, and have an exhaust that goes above head height, to reduce the noise.

Solar with batteries would be better, but may cost more, and it depends where you live.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 »

We have a small generator runs sockets fans etc 400 dollar brand new
Deefer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Deefer »

You will need to factor in that electric motors, especially in fridges and air con units; have a starting current of 3 times the running current. A 650W air con unit will require a 2000W generator to adequately supply power to start it. Anything less will result in causing stress to the generator by either stalling it or tripping it's circuit breaker.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Deefer wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:06 am You will need to factor in that electric motors, especially in fridges and air con units; have a starting current of 3 times the running current. A 650W air con unit will require a 2000W generator to adequately supply power to start it. Anything less will result in causing stress to the generator by either stalling it or tripping it's circuit breaker.
I have a 1300 watt (6.3amp) max 1.5HP air con unit and a fridge freezer. These, plus the tv and laptop is all I would run while there is a power cut. Washing machine would be a no-no.

A 2000 watt machine might be cutting it fine even on the amps front, when you add in a few other items.

A 3000 watt machine (3000 watt / 240Volts = 12.5 amps) sounds ok but by your assessment it might even not be enough for when the AC starts up. This generator idea is only for the supply of A\C for when the power starts going out again. And it will, and soon...

"Cambodia will face power shortages again from the end of this year throughout the dry season, Prime Minister HE said on Thursday"

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... e-minister
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic