Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 am
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:45 pm ...you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox
Proven to be bullshit! No pms have ever been sent.
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm ..not sure why you are threatening me saying you will kick my ass
Shown to be bullshit! I've never threatened to kick his ass.
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:30 pm i like how you corrected you're :) but..
Again it's all there to be read. His claims are all porkies..

Here's what I don't get. This labia rag gets to come on here to make false accusations,insult, lie and slander long term posters without two fucks given by CEO. That's fine, but don't you guys fucking dare send me to the sin bin when I start to fucking wind up on this fucking toadstool.
Actually, I was pretty impressed that after your recent illness and (how can I put this delicately) your advancing age that you were out threatening young bucks again. But then I remembered Norman Mailer headbutting Gore Vidal on the Dick Cavett show (1971) and realized it is just a little literary rivalry. I suspect he is envious of your didactic style of writing while he is more pedantic, our it could be the age-old battle of the written word vs the video. The Memoirs of a Nobody in Cambodia vs the Memoirs of a Nobody who will come to Cambodia and make it a better place.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm
sigmoid wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:59 am
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 pm Hello everyone!

I introduced myself last month in the general talk section and got a lot of different responses and really appreciate the input. I started a youtube channel to document my experiences before heading to Cambodia to teach English as well as daily life, food, looking for a job and apartment, etc... This channel will be geared towards others wanting to move to Cambodia for long term living and or teaching/working as I will be focusing videos around daily life and the process of settling in Cambodia.
To be frank, the purpose of this is not really clear.

If you want food, you go to a restaurant, supermarket, market or convenience store. To find a job, you contact potential employers. If you want to teach, you contact the schools. To find an apartment, you look around or use an agent. For daily life, wake up and do some stuff and then later, go back to sleep.

Anyway, that's what we did in the old days before the internet, things like having a scrap of paper with an address scrawled on it or an ad torn from the classified section of a newspaper and flagging down a taxicab, motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk, or going to a payphone with a pocketful of coins, wandering through the wet market until finding something that looked edible, or walking around the neighborhood and using our own eyes to find the best street food, and getting info by talking to the people around us, both locals and other expats.

I think having an excess of foreknowledge before arriving somewhere really diminishes the sense of adventure.
If you don't understand the concept i would direct you to the youtube channel to the watch the nine or so minute video that towards the end explains what the purpose is. being from a rugged do it all yourself be prepared beforehand generation i would think you could spare 9 minutes of internet time watching the video to better understand before writing your opinion. i come from a generation that reads and studies and formulates opinions then shares with the community not just replying with my own predetermination before putting forth any actual effort. wish you luck.

Well, I see that you are trying to help others by providing information, which is quite admirable.

My basic point though was just that, these days, with globalization and development, the logistIcs of being an expat in Asia are not that different from those in the west. Modern apartments buildings and condominiums have been built, Supermarkets and convenience stores are open, people can order food and goods online and book transportation, the banking system is linked with the rest of the world, there are numerous language institutes and "international" schools that have their own websites and advertise online, etc, Of course, the countryside is still catching up in this regard.

Anyway, when you get here, focusing on weird local cultural phenomena and stuff that's happening around you may prove to be more interesting rather than your own personal journey.

As someone mentioned above, "Gator", I believe, don't worry too much about impressing people on this forum, who have at least given you their honest opinion ("we don't care"). Just do what you are going to do anyway. The important thing is to enjoy each day before the political, economic, environmental and social apocalypse occurs. Have a good one!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 pm
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 pm ..maybe you can subscribe and comment on the videos since you are so worried about it :)
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm ...people here aren't every receptive of anything other than misery so i understand if you cant see the concept
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm .. being from a rugged do it all yourself be prepared beforehand generation i would think you could spare 9 minutes of internet time watching the video to better understand before writing your opinion. i come from a generation that reads and studies and formulates opinions then shares with the community not just replying with my own predetermination before putting forth any actual effort. wish you luck.
You may also wish to brush up on some basic PR/social skills and represent your brand with a little more professionalism. Showing maturity when dealing with responses you may not like, to the advice you yourself requested, will serve you better than childish petulance. You've probably just scored your self a little flutter of down votes to your first videos with your insults.

I won't be viewing your channel again. Nice start!
you wont be missed. you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox that i dont have to go into detail on. i dont think you have any ground to feel disrespected as i have put up with a lot of your crap in a very well mannered way. i have been as nice to you as you deserve my friend you can refer to our prior conversations. i welcome all the down votes my friend at least i will know where they all came from. go tell your friends and ramp up your fake accounts and do your worst i welcome it if it makes you feel better about your life.
Social media as a profession might not be the right path for you, sir. You don't seem to be gaining much popularity, especially with comments like these directed to someone well established on this platform.....may want to rethink you're life a little bit and perhaps take a change of direction....just my worthless two cents...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 am
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:45 pm ...you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox
Proven to be bullshit! No pms have ever been sent.
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm ..not sure why you are threatening me saying you will kick my ass
Shown to be bullshit! I've never threatened to kick his ass.
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:30 pm i like how you corrected you're :) but..
Again it's all there to be read. His claims are all porkies..

Here's what I don't get. This labia rag gets to come on here to make false accusations,insult, lie and slander long term posters without two fucks given by CEO. That's fine, but don't you guys fucking dare send me to the sin bin when I start to fucking wind up on this fucking toadstool.
@JamesAlexander89, I think you have an apology to make to Kung-fu Hillbilly. A BIG PUBLIC APOLOGY!

SINCE YOU JOINED THIS FORUM, YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO 3 THREADS:
1. "INTRODUCE YOURSELF" - KUNG-FU HILLBILLY DID NOT REPLY TO YOUR POST.
2. "MOVING TO PHNOM PENH IN JANUARY 2020" - DESPITE RUNNNING FOR 11 PAGES, KUNG-FU HILLBILLY DID NOT CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR THREAD.
3. "STARTING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL BEFORE MY MOVE TO CAMBODIA" -
KFH REPLIES WITH GOOD ADVICE post374590.html#p374590
KFH DEFLECTS A TROLL FOR YOU post374737.html#p374737
ANOTHER POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION FROM KFH post375363.html#p375363
MORE GOOD ADVICE FROM KFH, AND THEN YOU GO BATSHIT post378050.html#p378050

CLEARLY YOU ARE MISTAKEN IN YOUR ACCUSATIONS.

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR PUBLIC APOLOGY!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and the mod has spoken

now can u access the Pm's and see if he did send any?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:03 pm and the mod has spoken

No, I can't access the PMs. I don't believe any PMs were sent anyway, do you?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:03 pm and the mod has spoken

No, I can't access the PMs. I don't believe any PMs were sent anyway, do you?
LOL:
nope :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

@ the OP, you do need to show respect to people, even on forums such as these (in your case even more so as I will explain). As pointed out, KFH gave you some positive criticism and also deflected a couple of the troll posts for you, but expressed distaste in your handling of negative criticism or sometimes just criticism that you didn't like, which I frankly can't fault him for after reading all this.

I haven't watched your video yet, but I was kinda curious in just seeing what you'd put up and to then maybe check back in a few months time and see what you've made of it. However, the manner which you have conducted yourself so far on the forum strongly dissuades me from doing so. It's so negative and entitled.

I'm assuming you're using your real name on the forum, so just what would one of this high end international schools you're referring to make of this thread when they stumble across it? They aren't going to see someone who can take criticism well and adapt, nor someone who takes conflict in a calm and controlled manner.

You'll have learnt that classroom management is a crucial part of teaching, I can confirm this after having done several years of teaching here. I can also tell you that some students will try to push their boundaries and your limits, and if you cannot handle that then you will be failing your entire class and will be failing your own goal in helping progress their English. High end schools won't tolerate that for long and in the rest you'll need that sense of accomplishment to motivate you to continue; admin / management will not give you any, or you'll soon turn into one of these aforementioned bottom feeders that don't give a shit about the job or more importantly the students.

If you are going to put yourself out there like this, then make sure you grow a thick enough skin to not demean yourself in front of everyone.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

As you advertise your facebook profile on this site, I would like to make the following suggestions before you start interviewing at the top-notch international schools you plan to be employed at. Change the settings on the posts that pertain to mushroom shakes, smoking dope and buying 25 shooters last night to friends. A young elite professional such as yourself could be wrongly viewed as just another twatpacker that hangs out on Khaosan Rd before going to the oh so cool full moon party sans the manbun. I say this not because smoking dope or shrooming are evil but because it could possibly cause some employers to not see your full awesomeness. As a rich, young, tech-savvy world changer you need to be aware appearances make the first impression. The impression you make with these posts is that of a naive, party boy with zero interest in exploring or even seeing the world around you, one who simply looks for a good time in order to share how awesome your "special gift" is.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Totally agree, social medium isnt for you JamesAlexander89.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic