Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Starting a youtube channel before my move to cambodia

Post by JamesAlexander89 »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:35 pm I taught some nurses at a hospitel in japan for couple years , and their kids on weekends ,
( not at the hospital ) . Shikoku . Unbelievable .
They all prefer to learn amerikan . It’s so much easier .
I spent some time in japan during my first wave of travels and i loved it. the streets are so clean i dont know what i remember that the most. i know a good amount of japanese and can speak it with a very good accent so i was able to communicate a bit when i got lost on the train. cant yet read kanji katakana lol. if you are interested check out the channel i will be releasing a new vid in the next day or two replying to some questions and criticisms on the channel as well as just giving a short update on what i have been up to
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:21 pm I don't see the purpose of it, but you could do it for fun as a sort of personal diary.
i suggest you actually watch the video it explains that! lol people here aren't every receptive of anything other than misery so i understand if you cant see the concept
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

icetiger81 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:17 pm Dude, your not gonna get many subscribers with only two vids...up your content game son.
thanks for the concern i appreciate it! maybe you can subscribe and comment on the videos since you are so worried about it :)

i work 55 hours a week i dont have time as of right now to put out a steady steam of content. i dont leave for another 55 days. the channel is about traveling to combodia not making videos about how my day was at work lol. anyway thanks for the tip my friend. ill be putting out a third video in a day or two responding to feedback i have received. if you have anything else to ask or say maybe it will make the video!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 pm ..maybe you can subscribe and comment on the videos since you are so worried about it :)
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm ...people here aren't every receptive of anything other than misery so i understand if you cant see the concept
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm .. being from a rugged do it all yourself be prepared beforehand generation i would think you could spare 9 minutes of internet time watching the video to better understand before writing your opinion. i come from a generation that reads and studies and formulates opinions then shares with the community not just replying with my own predetermination before putting forth any actual effort. wish you luck.
You may also wish to brush up on some basic PR/social skills to represent your brand with a little more professionalism. Showing maturity when dealing with responses you may not like, to the advice you yourself requested, will serve you better than childish petulance. You've probably just scored your self a little flutter of down votes to your first videos with your insults.

I won't be viewing your channel again. Nice start!
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

angkorjohn2 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm I think people suggested NJH as both good and bad, yes he was a loud mouth and lost the plot towards the end but occasionally when he went out into the rural areas or the really khmer areas of PP he offered an insight there and was often respectful of the locals.

You'll get a bunch of naysayers, although thankfully most would be on the other forum (K440), who will criticize you. It all seems exciting and new to you and some things will take you by surprise and maybe give you a rose-tinted view of things, I think we all were once like that but some people are now jaded and bored or take some things for granted what once surprised us, as you've already seen by the odd negative one here. I met a newbie here recently and enjoy reading his posts and musings on Cambodia on his facebook and reminded me to continue to enjoy the weird and wonderful here, much as it has changed from the last decade I've been about it still has its charms.

My only advice in ensuring you are culturally sensitive, do your research so that you understand the political situation and your content and awareness is up to date so you don't inadvertently draw attention to yourself for the wrong reason, think about what topics you will cover and why. As well as stopping people hammering you for getting something seriously wrong (FYI nowhere but Thailand was ever Land of Smiles, not this region - Cambodia may be a land of genuine smiles but never referred to as this).

Also as a teacher under no circumstances think it is ok to share pictures of the children you teach in any vlog, it is not unless you have explicit permission from every parent, child and your principle to do so. I would also caution that maybe you let your employer know what you are doing. Making yourself visible can backfire spectacularly - as NJH found out.

Best of luck.
great response man thanks i really appreciate stuff like this. i did not watch all of his vids so i didnt get the full dose i think but i guess the ones i did come across he was talking about some super disrespectful and ignorant topics in my personal opinion and the commenters seemed to be right on that level as well. maybe i need to look at a few more and see him in a more laid back or thoughtful state. ill definitely give it another shot.

i suppose i have a more romanticized view on documenting and seeing the region because its all new and i hope the novelty never wears off although with most things in life they usually do. thanks for your reply it helps me better understand the typical point of view or opinion when people here see this wide eyed american that's only spent a few months in asia coming back to teach and live a big adventure or however it looks to most.

yea only recording i would do during class is to record my lessons in terms of my teaching technique or to show the classroom or school before the students arrive. my teaching course went over that type of thing as well as how to deal with parents and different cultures. there is always more to learn though so i appreciate you bringing that up as well!

i am putting out a new video in a day or two talking about questions i have gotten and criticisms as well as what i have been up to lately. i will definately be adding some aspects of your response into the video
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 pm
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 pm ..maybe you can subscribe and comment on the videos since you are so worried about it :)
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm ...people here aren't every receptive of anything other than misery so i understand if you cant see the concept
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm .. being from a rugged do it all yourself be prepared beforehand generation i would think you could spare 9 minutes of internet time watching the video to better understand before writing your opinion. i come from a generation that reads and studies and formulates opinions then shares with the community not just replying with my own predetermination before putting forth any actual effort. wish you luck.
You may also wish to brush up on some basic PR/social skills and represent your brand with a little more professionalism. Showing maturity when dealing with responses you may not like, to the advice you yourself requested, will serve you better than childish petulance. You've probably just scored your self a little flutter of down votes to your first videos with your insults.

I won't be viewing your channel again. Nice start!
you wont be missed. you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox that i dont have to go into detail on. i dont think you have any ground to feel disrespected as i have put up with a lot of your crap in a very well mannered way. i have been as nice to you as you deserve my friend you can refer to our prior conversations. i welcome all the down votes my friend at least i will know where they all came from. go tell your friends and ramp up your fake accounts and do your worst i welcome it if it makes you feel better about your life.
Last edited by JamesAlexander89 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 pm you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox that i dont have to go into detail on. i dont think you have any ground to feel disrespected as i have put up with a lot of your crap in a very well mannered way. i have been as nice to you as you deserve my friend you can refer to our prior conversations.
Absolute bullshit!!

Showing some interesting early form there, James.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...the channel is about traveling to combodia
? i dont get the idea, you buy a ticket, pack ur bag, carry some $$, an atm card, book ur first nights accommodations via booking.com and go
what else is there about traveling anywhere?

I dont get this new generations style of traveling needing to know EVERYTHING in advance.
no adventure??

Throw away ur smart phone, read a guide book and just DO IT
Yea, you might get ripped off, lost, overpay till you learn but thats all part of it...
I far prefer asking for directions of the locals than looking at maps.me....
i am putting out a new video in a day or two talking about questions i have gotten and criticisms as well as what i have been up to lately.
Not to attack you as maybe i am just Way out of touch but....
Are there really people out there that give a shit??

I love reading AFTER trip travel books/blogs but not ones that come from not having done it..
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:28 pm
JamesAlexander89 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 pm you have left a lot of rude responses on my posts here before this one as well as in my personal inbox that i dont have to go into detail on. i dont think you have any ground to feel disrespected as i have put up with a lot of your crap in a very well mannered way. i have been as nice to you as you deserve my friend you can refer to our prior conversations.
Absolute bullshit!!

Showing some interesting early form there, James.
again, thanks for the down vote i just saw it pop up! considering you didn't watch it and only went there after this exchange. have a good day!
JamesAlexander89
Expatriate
United States of America

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:31 pm
...the channel is about traveling to combodia
? i dont get the idea, you buy a ticket, pack ur bag, carry some $$, an atm card, book ur first nights accommodations via booking.com and go
what else is there about traveling anywhere?

I dont get this new generations style of traveling needing to know EVERYTHING in advance.
no adventure??

Throw away ur smart phone, read a guide book and just DO IT
Yea, you might get ripped off, lost, overpay till you learn but thats all part of it...
I far prefer asking for directions of the locals than looking at maps.me....
im assuming you have not seen my introductory post. i believe you can look at it through my post history? i spent three months at the beginning of this year traveling in asia. china, japan, thailand, and vietnam with literally no plan or knowing anyone. it was a great time and adventure. i guess because my channel i am making is not for travel its for long term living and teaching. you should check out the video if you have not already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic