Looking for exotic knife store in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking for exotic knife store in PP

Post by John Bingham »

No foreigner shall be entitled to possess or use weapons, explosives and ammunition of any and all types in the Kingdom of Cambodia. The Royal Government may, upon official request, provide for exception to body guards of the leader of foreign state such as: King, Queen, President, Head of State,Prime Minister and High Dignitaries who are paying a visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia.
http://www.vertic.org/media/National%20 ... eapons.pdf

Pretty much the same as any other country, "Weapon means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use (a) in causing death or injury to any person, or (b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm." You can't carry a weapon unless you have a good reason to carry one because of your work ( ex: chef carrying knives, farmer carrying machete).

I hope this helps clear the matter up somewhat. I like to believe that the OP was just buying a knife to go fishing or whittle wood on the porch with. However, I have reason to believe that he may think this is a viable weapon in Cambodia. Sure it is, but you have about 2 minutes to live before you are kicked to death by an angry mob if you act the tough guy here. I have managed for a long time here without ever carrying a weapon. It's probably not the best place for you if you really think you need one either. Study some martial arts and get wise, check yourself before you wreck yourself. Practice restraint, this is not a place for angry people.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:28 am

I hope this helps clear the matter up somewhat. I like to believe that the OP was just buying a knife to go fishing or whittle wood on the porch with. However, I have reason to believe that he may think this is a viable weapon in Cambodia. Sure it is, but you have about 2 minutes to live before you are kicked to death by an angry mob if you act the tough guy here. I have managed for a long time here without ever carrying a weapon. It's probably not the best place for you if you really think you need one either. Study some martial arts and get wise, check yourself before you wreck yourself. Practice restraint, this is not a place for angry people.
Is a good post JB I will take dispute however. i wont hand over monopoly of force to anyone, including people who don't give a shit about me. including shall we say Pol Pot or others in government nowadays. Or even indeed the local hoodlem who has force of arms over poor unarmed me???
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Mishmash wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:28 am

Is a good post JB I will take dispute however. i wont hand over monopoly of force to anyone, including people who don't give a shit about me. including shall we say Pol Pot or others in government nowadays. Or even indeed the local hoodlem who has force of arms over poor unarmed me???
Contrary to some internet memes, Cambodia was awash with weapons in the 1970s before Pol Pot took over. Unless you want to try walking around armed to the teeth yourself (which I wouldn't recommend) I don't see how you have any choice. If you have friends in the security forces that might help, but is quite unnecessary 99% of the time. Bludgeoning someone with the nearest available object works better at knocking them out without the messiness of stabbing. Plus you don't get charged with murder like you might if you carry a blade around.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 am

Contrary to some internet memes, Cambodia was awash with weapons in the 1970s before Pol Pot took over. Unless you want to try walking around armed to the teeth yourself (which I wouldn't recommend) I don't see how you have any choice. If you have friends in the security forces that might help, but is quite unnecessary 99% of the time. Bludgeoning someone with the nearest available object works better at knocking them out without the messiness of stabbing. Plus you don't get charged with murder like you might if you carry a blade around.
Depends if you're a out and out psycho JB. Some people are good yet armed to the teeth as you put it. Nahhh. I prefer the choice is mine. Don't you trust me sir??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can just see you going out in a blaze of glory standing up for your constitutional rights in an atmosphere of oppression. :cry:

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's highly doughtful. However you can be unarmed as is your right and I will carry on as is my right or not.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 am

I can just see you going out in a blaze of glory standing up for your constitutional rights in an atmosphere of oppression. :cry:

It's highly doughtful. However you can be unarmed as is your right and I will carry on as is my right or not.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:50 am
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:53 pm It's not far from Riverside and about 5,000 riels if you use grab app.

I brought my Karambit here from home. However, from what I understand they are illegal and so is carrying a knife but I really do not know. Can someone shed some light on this that truly knows?
Thanks
To answer your question, yes it is illegal to carry a weapon like that here. Unless you cause an altercation it is very unlikely that anyone will ever search you here. However if you get caught up in some other BS it will be used as evidence.
:thumb: it will continue sitting in a drawer then.....
Still here, in country...
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:44 pm
Multipox wrote: Now I am the proud owner of brand new karambit made by the loving hands old-world Thai craftsmen.
99% sure they come from a a Chinese factory and not the wrinkled hands of some Thai mastercraftsman.
Both vendors told me that their knives were from Thailand.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm ....

Define "peeling apples" because my balls just rose a couple of inches.
apples is the code word for balls.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic