Private Dancer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Private Dancer

Post by explorer »

For those who have not read this, I would encourage you to, particularly foreign men looking for an Asian girlfriend or wife.

I think the author had a good understanding of Asian culture, and was very familiar with what happens when foreign men have bar girls for girlfriends.

It also explains how things are seen from an Asian perspective.

It is an interesting story. Somebody could make it into a film, and it would be popular.

http://nordbo.me/files/private-dancer.pdf
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Private Dancer

Post by King Keil »

It's not about asian culture, it is about prostitutes and the poor losers who think it is a good idea to get into a relationship with one.
Always wonder why people say "everbody who comes here should read that book".
There is absolutely nothing to learn there, that a normal educated person can't figure out themself.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

King Keil wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 pm Always wonder why people say "everbody who comes here should read that book".
Can probably attribute Bernard Trink and Pattaya Mail for a lot of that.
Bernard Trink from Bangkok Post – the biggest English-language daily in Thailand – believes that “Private Dancer ought to be made available to every tourist at port of entry” and Pattaya Mail wrote that the book “should be compulsory reading for all first-timers to Thailand.”
They even put that on the cover Image

But this reviewer goes on to dispute that too https://www.simandan.com/private-dancer ... -thailand/

I read it a couple of years ago and although it says it was published in 2005, I feel the thinking behind it and naivety of the main character harks back to a earlier era. Anyway, it's fiction.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:55 pm
King Keil wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 pm Always wonder why people say "everbody who comes here should read that book".
Can probably attribute Bernard Trink and Pattaya Mail for a lot of that.
Bernard Trink from Bangkok Post – the biggest English-language daily in Thailand – believes that “Private Dancer ought to be made available to every tourist at port of entry” and Pattaya Mail wrote that the book “should be compulsory reading for all first-timers to Thailand.”
They even put that on the cover Image

But this reviewer goes on to dispute that too https://www.simandan.com/private-dancer ... -thailand/

I read it a couple of years ago and although it says it was published in 2005, I feel the thinking behind it and naivety of the main character harks back to a earlier era. Anyway, it's fiction.
I reread it the other day because I ran out of books and it's on my computer. It's easy to read and the characters are quite fun. Frankly I thought that the author had more sympathy for the bargirls than the expat characters, and I was ok with that.The main guy wasn't looking to marry his bargirl, he just wanted exclusivity, without commitment. The white knight rides again, but gets it all wrong. I don't know if the story is instructive, but it's definitely a fun read to pass the time if you haven't read it already.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

explorer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:01 am It is an interesting story. Somebody could make it into a film, and it would be popular.
Could it be made into a serialized video?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Multipox wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:01 am It is an interesting story. Somebody could make it into a film, and it would be popular.
The problem with that it is very Bangkok specific, in order to shoot a commercial film/video in Thailand you need to obtain a permit from the film commission which involves script approval. In the case of Private Dancer this would be refused due to its subject matter, you may be tempted to submit one script and shoot another however the Film Commission requires one of their employees to be present on location throughout the shoot.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

It's a perfect book for people with no brains or common sense
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I never bothered to read it or any other books by Stephen Leather. But I was only wondering today what happened to Bernard Trink who was such a fixture back in the day despite his overwhelming mediocrity
I was also thinking of the Pommie pub in Patpong, Bobbies Arms where we sometimes lunched. Bobbie if that was the name of the proprietor ended up with my beautiful LHD 1962 Alfa Romeo Spyder.
Leather must have sold a lot of books. There wasn’t a book copying industry in Thailand like there is in Cambodia. Maybe copying machines weren’t around in those days.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kohker wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:17 pm It's a perfect book for people with no brains or common sense
;-) That explains why I liked it, doesn't need a brain to read it.
I was not expecting to find the reason for life, the universe, and everything. Lol. It's just a book to pass the time.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

chiltern wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:43 pm
Multipox wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm
The problem with that it is very Bangkok specific, in order to shoot a commercial film/video in Thailand you need to obtain a permit from the film commission which involves script approval. In the case of Private Dancer this would be refused due to its subject matter, you may be tempted to submit one script and shoot another however the Film Commission requires one of their employees to be present on location throughout the shoot.
The subject matter wouldn’t be a problem. If you watch “Innocence, Bangkok Love Stories" on Netflix it involves a lot of prostitutes and the places they frequent.
just noise, white noise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic