21Yo Woman Marries 14Yo Boy in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

21Yo Woman Marries 14Yo Boy in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Woman, 21, gets married to 14-year old boy in Cambodia
By Sun Daily - November 15, 2019
A Cambodian woman is at the centre of attention of netizens after photos of her marriage to a 14-year-old boy went viral.

The woman, 21, is seven years older than the boy.

A Facebook user said: “Even though they are still young, let’s look to the future. If they love and tolerate each other, they’ll be able to grow old together happily.”
Men were putting themselves up for grabs, after not being able to find a partner.

A translation of a comment reads, “I am a young man, and I am looking for a partner. I will not find a partner.”

Another wrote, “I am a queen, and I don’t have someone to take care of them. I’m so jealous.”

On the other hand, some questioned the legality of the marriage since Cambodia’s legal age to wed is 18.

According to Girls Not Brides, child marriage is prevalent in Cambodia especially in rural areas.

While the legal age to marry is 18, people can tie the knot at 16 to someone who has reached a legal age with the consent of parents or guardians.
In full: https://www.thesundaily.my/style-life/a ... -AF1610651
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: 21Yo Woman Marries 14Yo Boy in Cambodia

Post by hanno »

While the legal age to marry is 18, people can tie the knot at 16
Still two years short...
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Hebephile marries underage victim
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:34 am Hebephile marries underage victim

Dont worry, there will be lots of NGO's rushing in to rescue this boy from many years of sex slavery.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In cultures where people spend many years getting an education, we think of getting married when we are older. In cultures where people leave school young, a lot of people get married young.

It is fairly common for Cambodian girls get married at 16 or 17, a few at 15. It is very rare to get married at 14. The majority still get married when they are over 18, particularly now they spend more years in school.

Police normally only act if there is a complaint.

In Cambodia, the boys family normally approaches the girls family and asks permission for their son to marry their daughter. I wonder if that happened here, or the girl instigated it.

They are dressed up in wedding clothes, which seems to suggest the families were happy with it.

Like has been said, there will be NGOs wanting to get involved.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I got married when I was 21,, Way much too young. Even at 72 years of age I still think I am too young to get married. Maybe next year when I turn 73 will be a suitable age if I can find the right girl.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

ummmm.....ata "boy"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Duncan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 am I got married when I was 21,, Way much too young. Even at 72 years of age I still think I am too young to get married. Maybe next year when I turn 73 will be a suitable age if I can find the right girl.
I knew a foreign man who was 70 and wanted to get a girlfriend. He didn't speak Khmer, so he didn't meet a lot of girls. I met a lot of girls, and occasionally one would say she wanted a boyfriend. I like to joke with them, and would say, I know a man looking for a girlfriend and he is 70. The girls would normally say no, they were not interested in someone that old. I met one girl who said she would be interested. She was a single mother in her 20s, from a fairly poor family. I didn't get her contact details, because I did not know if I would see him again.

There are actually quite a lot of single Cambodian girls in their 30s. Some of them get quite keen to get a husband.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Well, at that age I only tickled my pickle dreaming about one or two 25yo school teachers.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

explorer wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:19 am
Duncan wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:43 am I got married when I was 21,, Way much too young. Even at 72 years of age I still think I am too young to get married. Maybe next year when I turn 73 will be a suitable age if I can find the right girl.
I knew a foreign man who was 70 and wanted to get a girlfriend...
I used to spend a bit of time on Samosir island, Lake Toba, Sumatra, where I often noticed an older chap with a quite young woman (barely if at all 18 years of age) walking together regularly around the place. I asked a local friend about who they were, was the young woman his carer, who he was etc. It turned out the seventy two year old guy was once a priest on Samosir who left the priesthood to marry one his flock's daughters. I chose not to think too much how that relationship may have begun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic