Phnom Penh International Airport Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh International Airport Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh International Airport Recognised as the Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019
AKP Phnom Penh, November 15, 2019 --

The Cambodia Airports, the developer and operator of the three international airports in the Kingdom, announced that Phnom Penh International Airport has been recognised as the best Asia Pacific Regional airport in 2019.

According to a news release of Cambodia Airports AKP received this morning, on Nov. 14, at an event gathering in Singapore leaders of the aviation and travel sectors, Phnom Penh International Airport has been recognised as “…the regional airport that has established itself as a leader and done the most to advance the progress of the aviation industry.”

CAPA Centre for Aviation is a world leading and trusted organisation providing “market intelligence for the aviation and travel industry”. Its Aviation Awards for Excellence have been established since 2002 and include 10 categories (https://centreforaviation.com/about/capa-awards). Selected by an independent panel of judges, the Regional Airport of the Year accolade is bestowed to “the regional airport that has been the biggest standout strategically, has established itself as a leader and done the most to advance the progress of the aviation industry. […] It is intended to recognise smaller airports–fewer than 10 million annual passengers–that rely primarily on short haul routes.”

CAPA lays out the choice of Phnom Penh International Airport for “adopting an innovative strategy that has led to sustained passenger growth of more than 25 percent over two years (2017/2018) and of 15 percent in Q1-Q3. CAPA underscores “the very rapid completion of works” pertaining to the runway, “thereby expanding the potential for new long haul services”, and the airport’s contribution (together with the two other airports in Siem Reap and in Sihanoukville) to Cambodia’s total GDP and to creating jobs.

CAPA Chairman emeritus Peter HARBISON said “over the three years from 2015 to 2018, Phnom Penh Airport grew its passenger volume by 50 percent, requiring enormous adjustments to its operating regime. At the same time cargo payload capacity has almost doubled. The expansion was the result of a well-coordinated programme of business development.”

Alain BRUN, CEO of Cambodia Airports, said as a small airport, Phnom Penh International Airport benefits from an ability to easily adapt and respond to our customers’ needs, which is demonstrated by winning this award. This accolade is testament to the relevance of the airport Public Private Partnership model, powered by Vinci Airports, under which Phnom Penh International Airport has been successfully developed over the last 25 years. Our model warrants long-term vision, reliability, and continuous investments, which translate into solid passenger growth, from 600,000 to 6 million by the end of 2019, significant infrastructure projects and operational efficiency.”

By Khan Sophirom
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh International Airport Best Asia Pacific Regional Airport 2019

Post by John Bingham »

It is great in that it's so small and easy to get through quickly.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's a great airport with a good turnout from the locals when their relatives are coming and going.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

I've always loved Phnom Penh Airport. Yes, years ago it was very small and easy to get through, but it has grown quite a lot in recent years. It's still a relatively small airport, but that's not the only thing. There are other small airports in the region, but PPIA seems to be different as it has this relaxed, easy-going atmosphere that I've connected to the Khmer since the first day I arrived here (which is some 20 years ago).

So, in my opinion: well deserved acknowledgement.
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

Really?
But there is only one budget airline that operates from Phnom Penh to Saigon a distance of about Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville.
Cambodia Angkor Airways which is owned by Vietnam Airlines which makes it a monopoly for them for that route. And it shows in their exorbitant prices and lousy service.
Now that is not very good for an International Airport is it?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Two times I have timed how long it takes me from the time I step off the plane in PP, till I am standing out on the road outside the airport. Already having a visa and not collecting baggage, . One time it was 12 minuets and one time 16 minuets.

I compare that to Australia where every time I am searched [ but no cavity search ] and it usually takes one hour to one and a half hours.

Cambodia, along with Malaysia has my vote.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I find the front of the airport to be rather annoying, large crowds standing with no regard for the fact people need to get through. Made much worse with kids in tow.

It's small and lacking good food/snack options at the airport, feels cramped.

On the plus is the lines move rather quickly and are never too long, and that is a big plus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic