Sam Rainsy blocked boarding plane in Paris

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Sam Rainsy blocked boarding plane in Paris

Post by King Keil »

Just google it. It's on Twitter
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Hasn't the dude fucked off yet.

Everyone has moved on and are looking for new leaders.

His chance came and went and the Khmer don't like cowards.

Old Kem Sokha took it on the chin and got back into the fray.

The ex-president of Uruguay - a much loved leader was a political prisoner for 14 years, not some champers guzzling, ski trip whinging wimp.

Elected in 2009, Mujica spent the 1960s and 1970s as part of the Uruguayan guerrilla Tupamaros, a leftist armed group inspired by the Cuban revolution.

He was shot six times and spent 14 years in jail. Most of his detention was spent in harsh conditions and isolation, until he was freed in 1985 when Uruguay returned to democracy.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Just saw a YouTube Video how he arrived in the big durian.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Mishmash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:10 pm Hasn't the dude fucked off yet.

Everyone has moved on and are looking for new leaders.

His chance came and went and the Khmer don't like cowards.

Old Kem Sokha took it on the chin and got back into the fray.

The ex-president of Uruguay - a much loved leader was a political prisoner for 14 years, not some champers guzzling, ski trip whinging wimp.

Elected in 2009, Mujica spent the 1960s and 1970s as part of the Uruguayan guerrilla Tupamaros, a leftist armed group inspired by the Cuban revolution.

He was shot six times and spent 14 years in jail. Most of his detention was spent in harsh conditions and isolation, until he was freed in 1985 when Uruguay returned to democracy.
While I also have my doubts about the latest strategies of the Rainman, it should not be forgotten what he did and endured in the nineties. He was one of the very few who stood up against the CPP and their extreme corruption and brutality. He not only got kicked out of parliament for that, got bombed during a demonstration but also got the support of many Khmers that lasts until this day, despite his latest showing of weaknesses. I don't think that many of the posters who judge him now have one percent of the braveness he showed under threat for his life during that time.

As a little reminder of what happened under HS's watch in the 90ies...

"A number [of FUNCINPEC affiliates] had their tongues ripped out while alive, under interrogation, or their eyes gouged out, or their penises chopped off and stuffed in their mouths, before being executed by leaders of the current government..."

(from https://natethayer.typepad.com/blog/cambodia-1996/, the whole blog is quite an interesting read.)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bong.kuit wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:06 pm While I also have my doubts about the latest strategies of the Rainman, it should not be forgotten what he did and endured in the nineties. He was one of the very few who stood up against the CPP and their extreme corruption and brutality. He not only got kicked out of parliament for that, got bombed during a demonstration but also got the support of many Khmers that lasts until this day, despite his latest showing of weaknesses. I don't think that many of the posters who judge him now have one percent of the braveness he showed under threat for his life during that time.
I can admire him standing up to the strongman in the 90s, but I think you are missing the background. The Rainman only got involved in politics when the Coalition Government of Democratic Kampuchea was formed in 1982. There are many counter allegations that he was fired from his later ministerial position because of his own deep pockets. So he has spent the meantime blaming every wrong in Cambodia on Vietnam. In the early 90s he gave rabble-rousing speeches to his followers which resulted in them lynching ethnic Vietnamese on the streets of the capital. He was involved in deals to get the remaining Khmer Rouge in Pailin to join his side in early 1997. His platform has always been extremely racist for local audiences, and all about human rights when speaking abroad. Don't forget that Kem Sokha of the CNRP tried to deny S21's existence a few years ago, it was all a Vietnamese trick apparently.
I think the government here needs plenty of reform, but to float this incendiary demagogue as an alternative seems very uninformed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:21 pm
I can admire him standing up to the strongman in the 90s, but I think you are missing the background. The Rainman only got involved in politics when the Coalition Government of Democratic Kampuchea was formed in 1982. There are many counter allegations that he was fired from his later ministerial position because of his own deep pockets. So he has spent the meantime blaming every wrong in Cambodia on Vietnam. In the early 90s he gave rabble-rousing speeches to his followers which resulted in them lynching ethnic Vietnamese on the streets of the capital. He was involved in deals to get the remaining Khmer Rouge in Pailin to join his side in early 1997. His platform has always been extremely racist for local audiences, and all about human rights when speaking abroad. Don't forget that Kem Sokha of the CNRP tried to deny S21's existence a few years ago, it was all a Vietnamese trick apparently.
I think the government here needs plenty of reform, but to float this incendiary demagogue as an alternative seems very uninformed.
I don't see where I said he is an alternative, he is not, for different reasons. I tried to make the point, and you kinda agreed, that he was extremely brave in the 90ies to stand up to HS under pretty threatening circumstances. His racism and nationalism is also not a secret, neither that Sokha S-21 bullshit. It seems though, that it is often forgotten how evil the CPP and their leaders were (and to a lesser degree are). Cambodia in general has not been blessed with its leaders since a VERY long time.

I would be interested in getting some background info on Rainsy's political career in the 80ies, as well as the allegations of corruption. Do you have a link or a book to recommend?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They managed to pull the country out of constant war. They couldn't achieve this without a certain amount of cruelty, they were facing a very difficult enemy which had people like Sam Rainsy legitimizing it internationally.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Cambodia has received nothing but trouble from Rainman.

In his political career he has achieved zero.

Rabble rousing is not the way forward.

Stirring up trouble with Cambodia's eternal neighbors is a recipe for disaster.

I often wonder what would happen if Ironman suddenly passed away.

If Rainman was around during the power vacuum what would happen?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

So, in all honesty, regardless how you feel about the Rainman, what are people's predictions about how this is all going to play out?

I have to say I'm a little concerned and so are many of my Khmer friends. None of them want trouble, and none of them support him but they can all feel trouble brewing.

And after watching the Al-Jazeera interview, I can see why.

What are people's predictions about what this will all look like 3 months from now?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

xandreu wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 pm What are people's predictions about what this will all look like 3 months from now?
Rainmain will eventually return to Cambodia only to be nothing more than a pawn in the big man's geopolitical affairs, encountering house arrest and release, brief periods of incarceration and release, depending on how badly HE needs to appease the international community.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic