$100US notes

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: $100US notes

Post by Duncan »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:06 am Use riels to pay for your 50 cents beers, pay for your dinner with a 100.

Mention the last number(s) of the serial when you hand it over so there can be no confusion about which note came from you.

Spread all your $100 notes out and take a pic with your phone camera. Yea,,, It took a 17 year old kid to teach me that trick.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Speaking of which... And which links to the 'ATM' scam frequently mentioned.

I use CUBC to send money abroad to factories for my purchases.

My partner draws cash from ABA via the teller, comes directly to CUBC and we deposit the dough.

On every occasion some of the notes have been questioned.

They then go in the back room for further examination and reluctantly get accepted.

Last week however, they refused a $100 - period!!!

They would not confirm anything in writing which we requested.

In the end we gave CUBC another $100.

The note in question was accepted by a money changer, but I'm still left feeling that it was an extremely high-quality fake.

Lesson learned we will check every single note every time.

When paying restaurant or beer-garden bills, we always photo the note before handing over, so we don't get the old 'bring back a fake and blame you' scam..
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

You guys are really safety cautious, very good.
Before taking pictures of a note or calling out the serial number I would just leave the country. For me this is embarrassing.
I just go to Aeon Mall or a good restaurant that I trust and hand over the bill.
Zero issues there.
When going to a beer garden or places like that I pay with twenties etc.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

King Keil wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:27 pm You guys are really safety cautious, very good.
Before taking pictures of a note or calling out the serial number I would just leave the country. For me this is embarrassing.
I just go to Aeon Mall or a good restaurant that I trust and hand over the bill.
Zero issues there.
Sometimes you’re in a place you don’t know and all you have is a hundred. If you say it in a joking way it’s not seen as an insult to mention the last two numbers, or to mention there’s no word ‘copy’ there.
Personally I have never been scammed with a fake 100 but after reading about the scams I started taking some precautions in places I don’t know or trust.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

King Keil wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:27 pm You guys are really safety cautious, very good.
Zero issues there.
If a reputable bank is calling out the note from another reputable bank then it pays to be cautious doesn't it?

I agree reputable places but then companies do make mistakes with staff - even the best of the best!

In several places the staff themselves ask me to take note of the serial number - in case it's me scamming them!!!

They are all reputable joints too.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

every Khmer market has money exchange .
break your bill for nothing..
my wife breaks $100 for me and brings me back $100.
I go to money exchange near the pub street and break a $100 for $1..
Don't pay to break big bills..
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

j57 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:24 pm every Khmer market has money exchange .
What is the incentive for a money exchanger to break the 100 dollar bill when it is the most counterfeited one? They could get burnt taking this risk, especially for free.

Smaller bills have higher liquidity than larger ones, I have this feeling every time I need to pay with a 100 usd bill. Money in the form of debit/credit cards have even lower liquidity, for comparison.

Your wife can do it because she is Khmer, a local, the money exchanger knows her. If any random dude, especially a foreigner, tried to do that for free, they sure would get a strange look and politely be told to **ck off.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

hunter8 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:17 pm
j57 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:24 pm every Khmer market has money exchange .
What is the incentive for a money exchanger to break the 100 dollar bill when it is the most counterfeited one? They could get burnt taking this risk, especially for free.

Smaller bills have higher liquidity than larger ones, I have this feeling every time I need to pay with a 100 usd bill. Money in the form of debit/credit cards have even lower liquidity, for comparison.

Your wife can do it because she is Khmer, a local, the money exchanger knows her. If any random dude, especially a foreigner, tried to do that for free, they sure would get a strange look and politely be told to **ck off.
What are you talking about? I change hundreds every month and get whatever the rate is that day. Usually 100= 405,000-409,000. This is changing one $100 note at a time, not a bulk change. I've done this in big cities and small villages, never a problem. If I asked my missus to change $100 and she came back with 400k I'd assume she spent the rest on coffee.
up to you...
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Clemen wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:57 pm What are you talking about? I change hundreds every month and get whatever the rate is that day. Usually 100= 405,000-409,000. This is changing one $100 note at a time, not a bulk change. I've done this in big cities and small villages, never a problem. If I asked my missus to change $100 and she came back with 400k I'd assume she spent the rest on coffee.
Change 100 usd to smaller dollar bills. Not to riels.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have changed $100 notes in banks many times to $10, $20 and $50 notes, and never paid for it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic