Reputation Ratios

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Reputation Ratios

Post by explorer »

John Bingham

A huge proportion of your posts are telling other people they are wrong, probably more than anyone else on this forum. Sometimes you misconstrue what they said. Sometimes the information you give is wrong. When all that fails, you accuse them of saying bad things about Cambodians.

Forget about finding fault with others.

Focus on making a positive contribution.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I can make a positive contribution without belittling locals. You seem to suffer from a neo-colonial attitude. This is probably why people don't like you, nobody likes condescending or patronising people. The local people can tell you are being dishonest with them and secretly despise them, they are not as stupid as you think. It's only yourself and a couple of others who do it, most posters have more balanced and mature views.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 am I can make a positive contribution without belittling locals. You seem to suffer from a neo-colonial attitude. This is probably why people don't like you, nobody likes condescending or patronising people. The local people can tell you are being dishonest with them and secretly despise them, they are not as stupid as you think. It's only yourself and a couple of others who do it, most posters have more balanced and mature views.
You are still obsessed with winning.

Why don't you just start being honest?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 am I can make a positive contribution without belittling locals. You seem to suffer from a neo-colonial attitude. This is probably why people don't like you, nobody likes condescending or patronising people. The local people can tell you are being dishonest with them and secretly despise them, they are not as stupid as you think. It's only yourself and a couple of others who do it, most posters have more balanced and mature views.
You are still obsessed with winning.

Why don't you just start being honest?
There is nothing dishonest about what JB has said, in fact it is a fairly accurate description. People don't like the way you constantly put down the locals, coming across all superior to them and then when challenged continue on some anti-khmer diatribe ad hominem, without answering any questions people pose. You come across as a know it all yet seem to know nothing. I have to wonder whether you are lacking in self awareness, critical thinking and emotional intelligence or just extremely arrogant and playing a character.

You are a combination of several of the worst traits of NKOTB's naivety with Aspergers about local life,Trapper, with his know-nothing hatred of all things local and being ripped off and a complete lack of humor. It is like you have created a character that comes up with the perfectly annoying poster character, not bad enough to ban but enough to irritate most people and then cry when challenged on your views and inability to enter into any rational discourse. This has been pulled up by several long term posters who I think offer a lot of value - JB, Hanno, Kung Fu Hillbilly, Fax, Brody, Mishmash etc etc. If ithat happened to me then I would question where I was coming from. Certainly, when I have been challenged by them in the past I have had to reflect how I came across.

I don't expect you to take notice of this, you never do, but perhaps if you did consider how you come across there might be a valued contributor in you yet.

back to the topic I seem to run at a 75% positive ratings ratio to Posts to your 33% if that means anything.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am There is nothing dishonest about what JB has said, in fact it is a fairly accurate description. People don't like the way you constantly put down the locals, coming across all superior to them and then when challenged continue on some anti-khmer diatribe ad hominem, without answering any questions people pose. You come across as a know it all yet seem to know nothing. I have to wonder whether you are lacking in self awareness, critical thinking and emotional intelligence or just extremely arrogant and playing a character.

You are a combination of several of the worst traits of NKOTB's naivety with Aspergers about local life,Trapper, with his know-nothing hatred of all things local and being ripped off and a complete lack of humor. It is like you have created a character that comes up with the perfectly annoying poster character, not bad enough to ban but enough to irritate most people and then cry when challenged on your views and inability to enter into any rational discourse. This has been pulled up by several long term posters who I think offer a lot of value - JB, Hanno, Kung Fu Hillbilly, Fax, Brody, Mishmash etc etc. If ithat happened to me then I would question where I was coming from. Certainly, when I have been challenged by them in the past I have had to reflect how I came across.

I don't expect you to take notice of this, you never do, but perhaps if you did consider how you come across there might be a valued contributor in you yet.

back to the topic I seem to run at a 75% positive ratings ratio to Posts to your 33% if that means anything.
Because JB constantly misconstrues what people say, you believe him, so it must be true.

Why don't you just respectfully disagree with anything specific you disagree with?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes - everyone else is wrong. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 pm Yes - everyone else is wrong.
Typical response.

Everyone

Did I say everyone?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:01 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am There is nothing dishonest about what JB has said, in fact it is a fairly accurate description. People don't like the way you constantly put down the locals, coming across all superior to them and then when challenged continue on some anti-khmer diatribe ad hominem, without answering any questions people pose. You come across as a know it all yet seem to know nothing. I have to wonder whether you are lacking in self awareness, critical thinking and emotional intelligence or just extremely arrogant and playing a character.

Because JB constantly misconstrues what people say, you believe him, so it must be true.

Why don't you just respectfully disagree with anything specific you disagree with?
no explorer you are challenged by many and you fail to take notice of it, nobody misconstrues your anti-khmer slant on everything we see it you are challenged. So are we all misconstruing what you say or are you unable to fully voice what you mean and it just comes across as anti-khmer? maybe you do have underlying Aspergers, but your failure to recognize that people are consistently calling you out for this as a problem that seems to seep into your every answer, finding a glass 7/8's empty view on Cambodia, describing a place many have lived for years, JB for 20 years, that we don't recognize and when challenged dismiss people as not knowing anything about the country is at best bizarre and at worst extremely arrogant. I suggest sir, you take a little time to reflect on this. I tolerated it for a long time and as did many but you appear to have turned your behavior this up to 11 and people are now challenging it.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 pm no explorer you are challenged by many and you fail to take notice of it, nobody misconstrues your anti-khmer slant on everything we see it you are challenged. So are we all misconstruing what you say or are you unable to fully voice what you mean and it just comes across as anti-khmer? maybe you do have underlying Aspergers, but your failure to recognize that people are consistently calling you out for this as a problem that seems to seep into your every answer, finding a glass 7/8's empty view on Cambodia, describing a place many have lived for years, JB for 20 years, that we don't recognize and when challenged dismiss people as not knowing anything about the country is at best bizarre and at worst extremely arrogant. I suggest sir, you take a little time to reflect on this. I tolerated it for a long time and as did many but you appear to have turned your behavior this up to 11 and people are now challenging it.
Instead of making generalizations, next time I post something you believe is wrong, express your opinion about that issue.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:17 pm
angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 pm no explorer you are challenged by many and you fail to take notice of it, nobody misconstrues your anti-khmer slant on everything we see it you are challenged. So are we all misconstruing what you say or are you unable to fully voice what you mean and it just comes across as anti-khmer? maybe you do have underlying Aspergers, but your failure to recognize that people are consistently calling you out for this as a problem that seems to seep into your every answer, finding a glass 7/8's empty view on Cambodia, describing a place many have lived for years, JB for 20 years, that we don't recognize and when challenged dismiss people as not knowing anything about the country is at best bizarre and at worst extremely arrogant. I suggest sir, you take a little time to reflect on this. I tolerated it for a long time and as did many but you appear to have turned your behavior this up to 11 and people are now challenging it.
Instead of making generalizations, next time I post something you believe is wrong, express your opinion about that issue.
Have done many times sir, most recently on the pronunciation of ten in Khmer, you dismissed it despite many posters stating the exact same pronunciation and that it was 'dob' not 'dop' and despite all this and people demonstrating khmers say 'dob' you dismissed it as, and i paraphrase, "khmers obviously dont know how to speak their own language"

that is you in a nutshell', refusal to accept you may be wrong, anti-khmer and arrogance. Why challenge when at best you will give the same response or at worst stonewall and continue ad hominem. Why should I enter into discourse with someone who will not bend despite the evidence presented? It is pointless. Best leave you to continue your rants in your own echo chamber.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic