What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am Mods -

Can there be a section created just for those members who wish to insult, abuse each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Make it like darknet, invitation only. Invite all those unique members to a special place where they can duke it out, be as mean to each other as they want, etc. they can grind their axes and leave the rest of us out of it.

That way CEO can be more welcoming to others and grow.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Post by explorer »

Can there be a section created just for those members who wish to insult, abuse each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Make it like darknet, invitation only. Invite all those unique members to a special place where they can duke it out, be as mean to each other as they want, etc. they can grind their axes and leave the rest of us out of it.

I think we have some people who feel inferior in real life, and try to compensate for it by acting important on this forum. They think that putting others down makes them superior, when in reality, it just displays how stupid they are.

This brain in the gutter mentality drives good people away, so the forum is trapped in a state of brain in the gutter conversations.

If we could get away from this, more decent people would join, and the information shared would be more beneficial to readers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What can be done about those who wish to insult each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Post by John Bingham »

How about people who constantly belittle the local people and slander them? What do you feel their underlying psychological problems are?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:58 am How about people who constantly belittle the local people and slander them? What do you feel their underlying psychological problems are?
Don't you think this forum would be a better place if there were less attacks and insults?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, less attacks on Khmer people and culture, more banning of bigots.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 am Yes, less attacks on Khmer people and culture, more banning of bigots.
When you are dishonest to win the argument, you are not really winning the argument.

The whole point of this topic, is to stop this brain in the gutter mentality.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 am

I think we have some people who feel inferior in real life, and try to compensate for it by acting important on this forum. They think that putting others down makes them superior, when in reality, it just displays how stupid they are.

This brain in the gutter mentality drives good people away, so the forum is trapped in a state of brain in the gutter conversations.

If we could get away from this, more decent people would join, and the information shared would be more beneficial to readers.
I am impressed, the first line of your plea for help from people who insult others contains two insults. Well done, rarely does the wolf in sheeps clothing sneak up on the flock howling at the moon. I applaud your intellect and high moral standards.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 am Yes, less attacks on Khmer people and culture, more banning of bigots.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I went through that problem of disliking it here and blaming others for my problems.

It was a very distinct phase linked to lack of progress, not getting what I thought life owed me and general mistrust of people.

The nearest psychological term I can think of is 'paranoia' or some other 'fear' based mind-set, but I'm not too up on diagnosis.

Luckily, my Khmer friends were supportive and they themselves had felt that way about Cambodia, people in general and their own frustrations.

For example, my wife... Her father was blown up by some soldiers, during the troubles after 1979. She lost her 'best friend' at school - just went missing one day - never seen again. Her uncle stole all the family land granted by the government. The maid stole her family's house in Phnom Penh (because she could read and write) after the return to Phnom Penh. And finally, her new best friend stole all her gold one day. This is enough for her to not trust her own people ever again and I mean ever. She doesn't allow anyone to come our house.

In the end, we just decided to face to our real problems and do the best we can.

It isn't a lovey-dovey world, much as we would like it to be.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am
When you are dishonest to win the argument, you are not really winning the argument.

The whole point of this topic, is to stop this brain in the gutter mentality.
Explorer - I do read your posts and take them seriously.

They have often caused me to reflect on my own character and changed my viewpoints.

If all people were the same and followed the herd we would not have progress and we would still be in the trees having a very hard existence.

It was the people who dared to think differently that caused the greatest advances in relieving human suffering to a certain extent.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic