Reputation Ratios

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Reputation Ratios

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 am
So you avoid talking to people you don't know. You don't speak Khmer, so you can't talk to Cambodians unless they speak English. Yet you seem to think you know all about what is going on.
I don't know where you're getting that from. I avoid talking to derelict visitors like the ones described in the "The People You Most Want To Avoid In SE Asia (and sometimes everywhere else too)". That doesn't mean I don't meet new people all the time. What makes you think I can't speak Khmer? A joke post I made about a week ago that was clearly sarcasm? Can't you tell the difference between when someone is being explicit and being sarcastic?
Maybe you have been in Cambodia so long that it seems normal to you. Maybe you have forgotten what it is like back home.
Or maybe I was back home in August?
NKOTB wrote:That way CEO can be more welcoming to others and grow.
Sure, let's welcome people who have nothing good to say about the country. Let's welcome those who think Cambodians are all cheats. Let's welcome those who think all tuk-tuk drivers are in league with thieves. Let's welcome those who think Cambodia is shit. Granted there are only a handful but I don't see why they should be encouraged. It may not matter to you as you don't live here and just use the site to talk about your wife's achievements, but some of us have more of a vested interest here and are not keen on the blatant bigotry against the locals.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am Mods -

Can there be a section created just for those members who wish to insult, abuse each other, and have an endless ‘battle royale’?

Make it like darknet, invitation only. Invite all those unique members to a special place where they can duke it out, be as mean to each other as they want, etc. they can grind their axes and leave the rest of us out of it.

That way CEO can be more welcoming to others and grow.
I started a new topic with this. I agree, something should be done.

post377322.html
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am What makes you think I can't speak Khmer?
Things you have said in the past told us you speak a little Khmer, but not enough to have in depth conversations with Cambodian people.

Is that right?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't overstate my ability. Are you really that deluded that you think you are the only foreigner who could ever speak Khmer?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:33 am Sure, let's welcome people who have nothing good to say about the country. Let's welcome those who think Cambodians are all cheats. Let's welcome those who think all tuk-tuk drivers are in league with thieves. Let's welcome those who think Cambodia is shit. Granted there are only a handful but I don't see why they should be encouraged. It may not matter to you as you don't live here and just use the site to talk about your wife's achievements, but some of us have more of a vested interest here and are not keen on the blatant bigotry against the locals.
I believe it is important to warn newcomers of the risks they will face here. For example, if they are not careful, they may get their bags snatched, they may get robbed, etc.

You attack people who discuss such issues, and make false accusations about them. When in actual fact, they are just telling the truth.

Don't confuse them with people who are unnecessarily offensive when they don't need to be.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I have never discouraged anyone from warning others of dangers. However, telling everyone that all Cambodians are untrustworthy, all tuk tuk drivers are thieves etc is not helpful, it's hysterical and patently untrue. Why do you even bother speaking with Khmers when you have this dreadful prejudice against them? It seems very two-faced.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:45 am I don't overstate my ability. Are you really that deluded that you think you are the only foreigner who could ever speak Khmer?
This is typical of your responses. I said:
explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:42 am Things you have said in the past told us you speak a little Khmer, but not enough to have in depth conversations with Cambodian people.

Is that right?
You avoided the question, and accused me by saying: Are you really that deluded that you think you are the only foreigner who could ever speak Khmer?

That is not what I said at all.

You avoided giving a clear answer to the question I asked. But really, by avoiding the question, it becomes clear you cant speak Khmer, or you would have said you can.

You are not a bad person because you don't speak Khmer. But maybe people who do speak Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people have a better idea of what is going on.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:56 am I have never discouraged anyone from warning others of dangers. However, telling everyone that all Cambodians are untrustworthy, all tuk tuk drivers are thieves etc is not helpful, it's hysterical and patently untrue. Why do you even bother speaking with Khmers when you have this dreadful prejudice against them? It seems very two-faced.
Again, this is you misconstruing what I have said to win the argument.

I have not said those things.

Stop being obsessed with winning the argument, and start being honest.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You don't seem to be able to comprehend English so I'll leave it to someone else to explain.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:45 am I don't overstate my ability. Are you really that deluded that you think you are the only foreigner who could ever speak Khmer?
This is typical of your responses. I said:
explorer wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:42 am Things you have said in the past told us you speak a little Khmer, but not enough to have in depth conversations with Cambodian people.

Is that right?
You avoided the question, and accused me by saying: Are you really that deluded that you think you are the only foreigner who could ever speak Khmer?

That is not what I said at all.

You avoided giving a clear answer to the question I asked. But really, by avoiding the question, it becomes clear you cant speak Khmer, or you would have said you can.

You are not a bad person because you don't speak Khmer. But maybe people who do speak Khmer, and spend time with Cambodian people have a better idea of what is going on.
Some people answer questions, others do not like to. Some people pretend to be hard of hearing while others actually are. Some impart breathtaking insights such as "stay away from dog fights", they feel their intelligence is unmatched. Others do not feel the same way. Some people are repetitive and boring, some deny what they write when it is in black and white written on the screen in front of them. Some think the police are criminals, others see the value in having police. I met a man who spoke Khmer, this made him the smartest man in his very small circle of friends. He was a bit like Forrest Gump, slow-witted, happy in his world but not famous like Forest Gump. He was not a bad person because he spoke Khmer because one's language ability has nothing to do with good or bad character. I can say this with certainty because the Pope is a good person and he doesn t speak Khmer and Pol Pot did. That didn t make Pol Pot better. But I wouldn t offend Pol Pot because then maybe he wouldn t post.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic