Nightlife in Kep

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Nightlife in Kep

Post by Freightdog »

Leave Kep alone!
We frequently pop down there, eat crab a lot and bloody well enjoy it, and the kids have a whale of a time. By evening, more crab eaten (where do they find them all?)* and we are generally somewhere between too tired and too chilled to even want to have a night life.
Sadly, it does seem to have become very busy.

*flood gates open for a deluge of derision
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 pm Leave Kep alone!
We frequently pop down there, eat crab a lot and bloody well enjoy it, and the kids have a whale of a time. By evening, more crab eaten (where do they find them all?)* and we are generally somewhere between too tired and too chilled to even want to have a night life.

Nah, I tend to side with you FD. I love(d) the quietness and tranquility of Kep. If it is going down the road of hostess bars etc., then I, for one, will be disappointed.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 pm i think a decent pasta joint would have been more profitable or maybe a crab shack.
Funny you should mention this frank, I have just returned from Kep and Kampot.
Down at the Crab Market I prefer the restaurant "Magic Crab" good food and reasonable prices.
Crab with Kampot pepper
Prawn Curry
Fish Amok

When we left the market and was heading out of Kep in the darkness we got caught in a downpour, the bike stopped dead, fortunately only 30 meters or so was a repair shop, they arranged to do the repair the following morning and took us too a guest house "Visal Sak Guesthouse" nice place and good food, only 1.4 km from the Crab Market, good price at $8 for fan room.

frank the decent pasta joint you may consider is called the "Take away" on the other side of the Lotus pond at Kampot, serving excellent home made Italian food. They also do a good selection of cut meats.
Lasagne
Tiramisu
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Yerg wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 am

Nah, I tend to side with you FD. I love(d) the quietness and tranquility of Kep. If it is going down the road of hostess bars etc., then I, for one, will be disappointed.
Don't like to be "chicken little" but I fear the writing is on the wall for Kep. Last time I was there several Chinese with a Cambodian interpreter went and sat right next to my stuff (bike etc) while I was swimming. Sounds bitchy but seems something very Chinese about that, with hundreds of metres to choose from I think most people, would give someone a bit of space. They were friendly enough though and offered me an expensive cigarette. What was interesting to me was that the guy who seemed to be the "top dog" was sitting looking at a floor plan, doing calculations. I guess Kep will become the spot for the Chinese who want something a bit more "rustic" than S-ville. But I think their version of rustic might be a bit different to mine.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bittermelon wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:08 am
Yerg wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:26 am

Don't like to be "chicken little" but I fear the writing is on the wall for Kep. Last time I was there several Chinese with a Cambodian interpreter went and sat right next to my stuff (bike etc) while I was swimming. Sounds bitchy but seems something very Chinese about that, with hundreds of metres to choose from I think most people, would give someone a bit of space. They were friendly enough though and offered me an expensive cigarette. What was interesting to me was that the guy who seemed to be the "top dog" was sitting looking at a floor plan, doing calculations. I guess Kep will become the spot for the Chinese who want something a bit more "rustic" than S-ville. But I think their version of rustic might be a bit different to mine.
I once thought that Kep would be left the beach resort for the Khmer elite. But I am with you guys, I think you maybe right, it seems nothing is safe or untouchable if the money is put in the right hands.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic