British JARED DOWNER Violently Attacks Tuk Tuk Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British JARED DOWNER Violently Attacks Tuk Tuk Driver

Post by Mishmash »

Yep - the Guy in Charge of this case Chea Kim San is a 1 star so it's not going to go away for breadcrumbs.

3k the family to drop charges and settle out of court (minimum)

6k the General and Judge and the court staff for the paperwork. (normal fees)

1k the rest during processing.

Avoiding deportation will be extra..
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

I wonder how much the tuktuk 'overcharged'
it could have been a deliberate run-around (same scam all around the world)
or slurred speech from the passenger
either way it was probably only a $ or 2, now it's $10k++

monstra mihi bona!
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:21 pm I wonder how much the tuktuk 'overcharged'
Tuk Tuk says he was paid $10 - nowhere in SR is $10. I once had a flat bicycle tire nobody could fix about 22km from town. I offered a tuk tuk $10 for me and the bike back to my guesthouse which was down in Wat Damnak, he was more than happy to accept that, I felt it a fair price. I doubt this guy was going to be going 20km. I don't defend or condone the violence but this greedy tuk tuk driver should have been delighted with his $10 con and not pushed it further. Another reason just to use grab and passapp
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:21 pm I wonder how much the tuktuk 'overcharged'
I've been drunk and gone the wrong way with the trusty tuk-tuks, had the tuk-tuk can't read a map 'short-cuts' runarounds. Had the old 'forgot to price' before setting off with the tuk-tuks. Stopped off for more beer and food with the tuk-tuks. Even had the arrive home with wife not there and can't find where she stashed the money please come tomorrow tuk-tuks.

Naaaah - my second lesson in Cambodia (after the long haired dictionary) was dun mess with the tuk-tuk mafia guild - period - keep them sweet with tips.

Sure $10 is stiff and 'extra' delay should have been free - but pointless arguing with the tuk-tuk - is a losing situation for a foreigner.

Beating him with a wine bottle over 10 or 20 bucks is only going to end one way.

$10 to $10k++ and no beer in the jail and no ladies pouring it :beer3:

Mish is cracking one for him right now!
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:32 pm
victim says he charged 10 dollar for ride. Next paragraph wanted extra for being lost/confused. Not only is the initial 10 dollars a triple charge minimum, but driver wants even more for confusion directions? Not saying driver deserves a beating but... If this foreigner paying 10 dollars for a ride at 2 am and probably obviously drunk the driver thinks he's found "a live one".... Brit could easily raised his voice after the 2am tour through siem reap when he might know he paying too much initially just being generous now feels ripped off and pissed...all the horror stories of police antics, ect, and now the failed drug test is the gospel? I'm not saying he's innocent but I'd hesitate to send him to the gas chambers just yet public opinion wise.... This guy gotta history of meth and violence in his own country? If so says a lot.... Pretty big guy to feel he had to take the first punch assuming average sized Kilmer....unless he surrounded ect.... But maybe he blacked out drunk and guilty as charged. Little bit risqué 2am under the influence out and about... Condolences to mom, Hang in there if you can probably fly here quickly and hopefully son has some local Kilmer aquitances to help you navigate a little for a fee .... Sad to see its so high profile now but he has no chance without paying question how much quicker the better every day means something now price wise... Passapp not a bad option Fer sure

Tuk Tuk says he was paid $10 - nowhere in SR is $10. I once had a flat bicycle tire nobody could fix about 22km from town. I offered a tuk tuk $10 for me and the bike back to my guesthouse which was down in Wat Damnak, he was more than happy to accept that, I felt it a fair price. I doubt this guy was going to be going 20km. I don't defend or condone the violence but this greedy tuk tuk driver should have been delighted with his $10 con and not pushed it further. Another reason just to use grab and passapp
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Edit to 2pm accused foreigner beating up tuctuc. Changes things a little
Millythegreen
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Millythegreen »

Was there any update on this?
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

Since there isn't that means that his mom probably followed the advice posted
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

All I'll say is: You rarely ever see Russian or Japanese tourists behaving like animals like this...
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:33 pm All I'll say is: You rarely ever see Russian or Japanese tourists behaving like animals like this...
You obviously missed the Russians during the years they took a liking to Sihanoukville and outlying islands.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic