Rate your partner's ability/inability to travel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mekongme
Tourist
Cambodia

Rate your partner's ability/inability to travel

Post by mekongme »

This holiday I had the joy of travelling with my partner to Siem Reap.
Caught the plane up which I only found mildly frustrating. Such as ordering food when they call last call for boarding as we were late to leave the house because she had to get her nails done.
Return trip due to over booking, we took the big bus home. OMG. Not sure what was the most frustrating part of the journey.
Over booked bus.
No AC
Her constant fidgeting
Constantly eating the smelliest fermented product money could buy.
Trying to constantly cuddle me whilst profusely sweating.
Asking is it much further after showing her on Google maps exact timeframes.
Complaining her phone battery was flat as she forgot to charge it, whilst trying to borrow mine
Being travel sick in a bag and tying it up in front of my seat.

So her ability to travel would be about 7/10
Frustration level 9/10 to me
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rate your partner's ability/inability to travel

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I have no idea whether Mrs Cargo is typical of khmer women but I have to concur that she has a low level of tolerance when it comes to travel in terms of both comfort inconveniences and the time involved.

OTOH she's one of the hardest workers I've come across at her work. Go figure.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I am lucky I guess, she is enthusiastic and adventurous, we have been to 7 countries and my only complaint would be she doesn t know how to pack but that may be because she likes to shop and it is intentional. For road trips in the car, we drive further in a day than I would choose but she likes to sing and keeps me amused. She likes to sleep later than I do when we get where we are going but again I enjoy the "free" time and usually bugger off early and come back for breakfast at 9. I have no real complaints at all.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

mine loves to travel
BUT hates it once we arrive as i have a tendency to want go out and walk around alot..:-)
Mostly we travel by our car on multiple country trips and never complains when i get lost or stuck.
Loves trying different foods and exploring the markets, but all and all is happiest once we arrive back home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

My partner is easy going when we travel together if I respect the 3 rules:
Only planes or taxis.
Only 5 stars hotels.
Must be fed every 2 hours.

Third rule is cardinal and doesn’t matter if it’s day or night. To avoid sleeping with a gremlin I have to supply kilos of exotic fruits in our hotel room such as cherries, strawberries, peaches, mandarines or any fruits that would cost as much than imported wagyu beef in Phnom Penh.

If fruits runs out in the night, I’m good to call an Uber at 3am so we can experiment a deli or a pizzeria open 24/24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:38 pm if I respect the 3 rules:
. . .
she would have to be hotter than the sun for me to put up with all that
mekongme wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 pm Her constant fidgeting
Constantly eating the smelliest fermented product money could buy.
Trying to constantly cuddle me whilst profusely sweating.
. . .
and I would have to own Google for her to accept such irritated paternalism
they do say travel reveals the cracks in a relationship

monstra mihi bona!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

Travel? It's all I can do going to Tesco with her. Never a direct route, never a plan, easily distracted by shiny things, music and if it on sale or if you get a free cup or plate with it no amount of reasoning will prevent the purchase. We travel separately best and better if in opposite directions.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

My wife is ok to follow me anywhere i choose we go.
She doesn't bother as long as we can eat.
She goes along well with people.

She liked her Khmer friends in PP then, she found new French and Indonesian friends around us in France.

I can't complain.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Going shopping with a woman... Nooooo... Her - shops. Me - beer garden.. The longer she takes to make her mind up, the less stress I get. :beer2:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic