How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 am
Old8404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am My wife is having great fun telling all her friends joke I told her...

Blind man walking past the fish market

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
We have a blind poster ( allegedly), perhaps best to put the blind jokes on the darknet until he is confirmed to be trolling or not. I would hate that he be offended and stopped regaling us with his insights. Perhaps edit it to the blindfolded guy went to the fish market
Old joke. He's probably heard it a hundred times already.
just trying to be sensitive, walking a mile in his shoes so to speak. ( And hoping the don t have laces but velcro instead cuz i couldn t tie laces with my eyes closed)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am The whole apartment stinks. Is there a solution to this? We don't have an outdoor kitchen.

Do they HAVE to use fish sauce when they cook? Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
I had a girlfriend when I first got here who stank out my apartment with that crap. I legged it out, in shock and disgust. When I cam back I told her she was never to bring that into the apartment again. The relationship didn't last much longer. I have never looked back. True story.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Old8404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am Blind man walking past the fish market

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
We have a blind poster ( allegedly), perhaps best to put the blind jokes on the darknet until he is confirmed to be trolling or not. I would hate that he be offended and stopped regaling us with his insights. Perhaps edit it to the blindfolded guy went to the fish market
Most blind people have a sense of humour like anyone else. Would it be offensive to anyone else? Ladies may find it offensive.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 am Reasonably tell her has no positive outcomes.

Several negatives spring to mind.

a) She will think you are definitely crazy for not loving fish sauce
b) Your wife's food that she serves up will mysteriously become cold, or unpalatable, or burned
c) You will be eating outside if you are lucky
d) You will be sleeping outside if you are unlucky
e) You will be alone

However, there ARE simple solutions that work well!!

To rid your apartment of fish sauce and replace them with a gentle cinnamon aroma, boil a few sticks in a pot of water for 5 minutes, and leave.

Use white vinegar - it's powerful enough to wipe out the strongest of smells in the kitchen, wipe down greasy surfaces and then simmer a cup of vinegar in a pan for around 15 minutes.

Baking Soda has the same effect and the easiest of all - just leave a bowl of it in the kitchen.
You'll need more than those herbal remedies Mish... I recommend the following...

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 am When you get married you get the whole package, not just the parts you like. I see nothing positive coming from asking her to cut out the fish sauce and fear she will be at the very least hurt and more likely vindictive. However, it is high in sodium and if you were to explain to her it is not good for your heart health you may be able to convince her to cut back. Fermented fish is very popular in the region I live, it is the foulest smell I can imagine, I feel for you but any comment I have ever made was swiftly shut down. I bought pork loin for a bar bq, the family brought pigs intestines and ears. The pork loin was feed to the dogs halfway through the meal. I asked why? And was told the bad cuts of meat, we give to the dogs. You can take the girl out of the country but you can t take the country out of the girl. Good luck
I completely believe that....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 am
Old8404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am Blind man walking past the fish market

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
Most blind people have a sense of humour like anyone else. Would it be offensive to anyone else? Ladies may find it offensive.
Yes, it's a sexist joke, but I did laugh the first time I heard it.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Coming to live in patriarchy Cambodia and trying to be pc in the western unnatural snow-flaky ways? I don’t understand that. Yes, sensitivity to some extent is fine, but 50 years ago nobody in the west would be triggered by the afore mentioned jokes. Isn’t this also a part of Cambodia’s charm?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am The whole apartment stinks. Is there a solution to this?
A thin film applied across the moustache zone will soothe your olfactory receptors.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 am
Mishmash wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 am Reasonably tell her has no positive outcomes.

b) Your wife's food that she serves up will mysteriously become cold, or unpalatable, or burned
e) You will be alone

To rid your apartment of fish sauce and replace them with a gentle cinnamon aroma, boil a few sticks in a pot of water for 5 minutes, and leave.

Use white vinegar - it's powerful enough to wipe out the strongest of smells in the kitchen, wipe down greasy surfaces and then simmer a cup of vinegar in a pan for around 15 minutes.

Baking Soda has the same effect and the easiest of all - just leave a bowl of it in the kitchen.
You'll need more than those herbal remedies Mish... I recommend the following...

More like this,

Helps stopping the stink from getting on ya clothes otherwise you'll end up smelling like Billingsgate fish market.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

DaveG wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 am

e) You will be alone

More like this,

Helps stopping the stink from getting on ya clothes otherwise you'll end up smelling like Billingsgate fish market.

I miss that place along with Smithfields.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic