How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Post by Jcml19 »

Some hate the smell of cheese or microwaved fish... U just have to get use to it.. life is all a compromise...

Ideally i want to want a girl in every country and the ladies rotate but im broke so i just have one... Compromise :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

And lest we forget Adams famous words as Eve went for her first swim.

“we’ll never get the smell out of the fish”
Old8404
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Old8404 »

My wife is having great fun telling all her friends joke I told her...

Blind man walking past the fish market

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 am However, it is high in sodium and if you were to explain to her it is not good for your heart health you may be able to convince her to cut back.
Of course, you might suddenly find more fish sauce added, thus clarifying that she may be trying to either-
-finish you off
-drive you off

And then there’s the other viewpoint.
She’s been on a Khmer chat forum, asking other Khmer wives how to mask the smells of boiling cinnamon, half smoked stogies and any strange lemon smells lingering about.

What’s wrong with fish sauce? Other than it’s another 5-10%* of the total sodium input along with a ladle of salt and a ladle of aging-Moto stuff that goes into every dish.

*official figures, honest.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am The whole apartment stinks. Is there a solution to this? We don't have an outdoor kitchen.

Do they HAVE to use fish sauce when they cook? Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
Do you have any problems with prahok? :plus1:
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

You're screwed....learn to breath through your mouth!
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Old8404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am My wife is having great fun telling all her friends joke I told her...

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
We have a blind poster ( allegedly), perhaps best to put the blind jokes on the darknet until he is confirmed to be trolling or not. I would hate that he be offended and stopped regaling us with his insights. Perhaps edit it to the blindfolded guy went to the fish market
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

5 little words to remember "Let's go out to eat"
Still here, in country...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 am
Old8404 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am My wife is having great fun telling all her friends joke I told her...

Sniff sniff

“Good morning ladies”
We have a blind poster ( allegedly), perhaps best to put the blind jokes on the darknet until he is confirmed to be trolling or not. I would hate that he be offended and stopped regaling us with his insights. Perhaps edit it to the blindfolded guy went to the fish market
Old joke. He's probably heard it a hundred times already.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 am When you get married you get the whole package, not just the parts you like. I see nothing positive coming from asking her to cut out the fish sauce and fear she will be at the very least hurt and more likely vindictive.
Correct. Think about her dealing with your beer induced farts at night... You can however ask her to cut out the fish sauce. In return, you will have to cut out something that grinds her gears but that you enjoy.
However, it is high in sodium and if you were to explain to her it is not good for your heart health you may be able to convince her to cut back.

Though not underestimating the critical thinking skills of the local population, I doubt she'll be able to wrap her mind around that concept. Look at the plastic burning on every street corner as an example. The best thing to do would be for OP to suck it up and be grateful that she's making food while he's just lounging, watching TV.
I bought pork loin for a bar bq, the family brought pigs intestines and ears. The pork loin was feed to the dogs halfway through the meal. I asked why? And was told the bad cuts of meat, we give to the dogs. You can take the girl out of the country but you can t take the country out of the girl. Good luck
I've witnessed the girl's family throwing away perfectly fine chicken meat and keeping the bones, which resulted in some inedible/ murky chicken bone soup that smelled, looked, and tasted like it was scooped out of the shit canal in ttp. Took her to what is referred to as "fine dining" in PP, and she asked me why we would pay such high prices for some disgusting ass food.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic