How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Post by Sweet Lemon »

The whole apartment stinks. Is there a solution to this? We don't have an outdoor kitchen.

Do they HAVE to use fish sauce when they cook? Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: How do you deal with the fish sauce smell when your wife cooks?

Post by Username Taken »

Smells fine to me.

As for you, get out of the kitchen.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Reasonably tell her has no positive outcomes.

Several negatives spring to mind.

a) She will think you are definitely crazy for not loving fish sauce
b) Your wife's food that she serves up will mysteriously become cold, or unpalatable, or burned
c) You will be eating outside if you are lucky
d) You will be sleeping outside if you are unlucky
e) You will be alone

However, there ARE simple solutions that work well!!

To rid your apartment of fish sauce and replace them with a gentle cinnamon aroma, boil a few sticks in a pot of water for 5 minutes, and leave.

Use white vinegar - it's powerful enough to wipe out the strongest of smells in the kitchen, wipe down greasy surfaces and then simmer a cup of vinegar in a pan for around 15 minutes.

Baking Soda has the same effect and the easiest of all - just leave a bowl of it in the kitchen.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Don't you have a balcony to cook outside ?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
I wouldn’t recommend it if she is pregnant. The sudden removal of fish sauce may cause chemical imbalance damaging the baby.

Suggest that she gradually eats less and eventually quits entirely. That’s how they get people off the meths and the cracks I think.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

fax wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:24 am
Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
I wouldn’t recommend it if she is pregnant. The sudden removal of fish sauce may cause chemical imbalance damaging the baby.

Suggest that she gradually eats less and eventually quits entirely. That’s how they get people off the meths and the cracks I think.
Why would one suggest that their better half stops using an integral ingredient in Cambodian cooking? The Missus probably doesn't like the smell of the OP's bacon or beer breath either.....
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

When you get married you get the whole package, not just the parts you like. I see nothing positive coming from asking her to cut out the fish sauce and fear she will be at the very least hurt and more likely vindictive. However, it is high in sodium and if you were to explain to her it is not good for your heart health you may be able to convince her to cut back. Fermented fish is very popular in the region I live, it is the foulest smell I can imagine, I feel for you but any comment I have ever made was swiftly shut down. I bought pork loin for a bar bq, the family brought pigs intestines and ears. The pork loin was feed to the dogs halfway through the meal. I asked why? And was told the bad cuts of meat, we give to the dogs. You can take the girl out of the country but you can t take the country out of the girl. Good luck
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

You could recommend her dish to this special place, maybe she gets an award in the fragrance category ?

[media] [/media]

Special mention to the living cheese. Nastier than a durian, smellwise.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 am The whole apartment stinks. Is there a solution to this? We don't have an outdoor kitchen.

Do they HAVE to use fish sauce when they cook? Can I reasonably tell her "no more fish sauce?"
Do you have the kind of relationship where you cant just talk to her and discuss it? Then see how she responds.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
djstuntmunch
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by djstuntmunch »

I tell my misses to put her underwear on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic