British JARED DOWNER Violently Attacks Tuk Tuk Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: British JARED DOWNER Violently Attacks Tuk Tuk Driver

Post by Mishmash »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:33 am I feel pity for the mother, nobody wants their child to come to trouble, especially when abroad. However I'm wondering what this "set up" could be. There are a lot of asshole tuk-tuk drivers out there, I never take strange ones. I just don't see how beating some driver half to death is warranted, what's that about?
I agree with everything you say JB

It's a terrible thing for any mother.

There are some tuk-tuks who are assholes according to the archives and anecdotes

Set-ups - only ever seen urban myths in Cambodia and dubious real-life ones from Thailand involving sketchy people.

The Meth connection unfortunately is somewhat damning, lost a whole load of potential sympathizers right there and then.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

He's made the Chinese News Media now.

Things are not looking good for the man.

https://m.panasia.news/detail?id=b61396 ... 860482ccb9
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

The Chinese media thing is AFAICS some kind of rewrite of what we already know on here.

Now, how would a decent, kind, good hearted, all round gentle guy get into an on- and offline brawl like this?

One answer: the decent, kind, good hearted, all round gentle guy had a bit too much of:
a) alcohol
b) other drugs (like meth)
c) a combination of the above

My bet (10:1) is on c)

Unfortunately, not a lot of money to be won. In fact: zero. None would take my bet.
BUMMER!!!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

This isn't in defense of the accused, but false positive results with these urine kits can be caused by manifold otc meds.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 am This isn't in defense of the accused, but false positive results with these urine kits can be caused by manifold otc meds.
True :thumb:

According to the published studies a false positive of around 14% (for methamphetamine specifically) could be expected.

In more developed countries a positive screening test would be followed by the more expensive and time consuming Gas Chromatography or Mass Spectrometry of the sample.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Khminglish

Siem Reap Provincial Court yesterday charged a drunk British man with assault on a tuk-tuk driver. Three during a dispute over travel in Siem Reap on Saturday.

Provincial Immigration Commissioner Chea Kim San identified the suspect as 30-year-old Downer Jared Martine. As a tourist.

The victim, identified as Eut Samnang, 27, lives in Siem Reap's Srei commune.

Mr. Down said Mr. Downer was charged with intentional violence The felony faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

He noted that around 2 a.m. on Saturday, a drunken Downer rented his tuk-tuk. The victim paid $ 10 to get him out of a Pop Street nightclub to visit a friend who was staying at an inn Town Hall, District Hall.

Mr. Kimsan said he was lucky because he was not good at speaking English Downer goes down to the Svay Dangkum neighborhood instead.

He said Mr Downer was angry with the victim who had taken him to the wrong place, but demanded He pays extra for travel.

He noted that the two sides had started a dispute on the street. Victims who drive tuk tuks go wrong and demand extra money for travel. ” He also punched the victim on the head, shoulders, and shoulders, causing serious injuries. ”

He added that during the struggle, the victim shouted for help and the police were nearby Helped Downer's arrest.

Mr. Kimsan noted that after the arrest, the accused were taken to the provincial immigration police for questioning Before being sent to court, Downer is currently in jail awaiting trial.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I guess that is the correct timeline of events that the victim is giving. Drunk Guy, most likely on meth tries to solve the problem like he would do at home - with violence. But this is not europe where a fistfight is a minor offence.
Alcohol is making people aggressive when abused, causing so much harm.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I can accept the possibility of a false positive for drugs, it is possible, however, there is no false positive for assault. The young man f ed up and no amount of his mother's claims that he is a teddybear will change that.

1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance.

Hopefully, stages 1 and 2 are behind her now and every effort should be put into stage 3... Bargaining
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

King Keil wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 am I guess that is the correct timeline of events that the victim is giving. Drunk Guy, most likely on meth tries to solve the problem like he would do at home - with violence. But this is not europe where a fistfight is a minor offence.
Alcohol is making people aggressive when abused, causing so much harm.
Add to that the tuk tuk driver asking for more money when he's clearly at fault, the same tuk tuk driver smiling at an inebriated Downer (as a sign of discomfort rather than amusement) when Downer started raising hell, and you got yourself a recipe for disaster.

Sorry ma'am. Your son fucked up. He wasn't set up. No one was planning on ruining his life. He brought all this mess upon himself by being under the influence and also by (and that's an assumption) being culturally insensitive. Being white girl wasted and possibly high on drugs late at night, and arguing with a moronic tuk tuk driver that has the English skills of a Siamese cat usually leads to one outcome: a shit show. It is not the first this happens and definitely won't be the last.

I would suggest you prepare yourself to go to Cambodia. Make sure to have at least $10k in your pocket. If you want your son out of jail (and Cambodia), you will have to pay off some people and provide the tuk tuk driver with some kind of compensation. Your son will have to go to both the tuk tuk driver and the police (after figuring out how to apologize following the Khmer way) and be as apologetic as possible while offering the aforementioned compensations. Keep in mind that $10k may not suffice.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

10k sounds about right.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic