Amateur Cryptozoology in Cambodia.The kting voar.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Amateur Cryptozoology in Cambodia.The kting voar.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Stranger in Cambodia
July 10, 2018

That’s right: this cow eats snakes.

Apparently, the kting voar is an unconfirmed bovine living in Cambodia. “Kting” by itself means “gaur” , which is a very real, albeit endangered, bovine. “Voar” means vine. There wasn’t a lot of information on the kting voar online, but according to its Wikipedia entry, it has a mottled coat, twisted horns, and eats snakes. That’s right: this cow eats snakes. Weird.

Wat Tuol Trong is set roughly 12 kilometers behind my village, through a tree farm, a stretch of plantations, and to the left, over a ridge and in the middle of a small patch of forest. For a Buddhist pagoda, it is unusually quiet: with only one intermittently resident monk and a sprawling grounds, it is active for a single day in October.

I asked my host family about poaching in the village. Apparently, it’s fairly common. My host father went on to explain that many of the animals where shot for body parts to make ថ្នាំបុរាណ (thnam boran, literally “ancient medicine”), traditional Khmer medicine. He told me that one of the soldiers once shot an animal that had the face of a goat but the body of a horse, sucked the bullet wound, healed itself with its saliva, and ran away.

“They’re big, but they don’t let people see them. When they poop, they scatter it with their horns so no one can track them, and they avoid places they can leave footprints. There used to be many kting voar in Cambodia, but they’re all gone now. ”

He told me he knew a family near the school that had kting voar bones, and that he had seen them. Apparently, the bones were black. I asked if he could bring me to see them, and he said that it was a long time ago and the family had since lost the bones.

The mystery only deepened, and outside of a full-blown kting voar hunt, I had reached a dead end.

full https://strangerincambodia.wordpress.co ... -cambodia/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Amateur Cryptozoology in Cambodia.The kting voar.

Post by Username Taken »

@SternAAlbifrons posted a link to this image a couple of months ago.

Lots of info here on this wikipedia page. It's in Spanish. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonovibos_spiralis
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic