Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Multipox wrote: ↑Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 am
Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.

A completely undeserved slur on many good officers, and of course the tuk-tuks.

There are bad eggs anywhere and everywhere, but they are a minority and much despised by the rest.
actually it was

Post by explorer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am

All of them.

sorry, there shouldn t have been the space,
explorer was replying tp Multipox's question about tuktuk drivers being in cahoots with thieves. Same with the comments on the police
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Mishmash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm Multipox wrote: ↑Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:22 am
All of them.

Most of them are also paying off the police. The police want money. They dont want to stop crime.
A completely undeserved slur on many good officers, and of course the tuk-tuks.

There are bad eggs anywhere and everywhere, but they are a minority and much despised by the rest.
I have been misquoted on this many times. If you repeat a lie often enough, people may believe it. Why don't you quote the entire discussion?

The heading: Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:44 pm You are warned. Bag-snatchers are targeting the route between downtown Phnom Penh and the airport.
explorer wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 pm
Multipox wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 pm Would any of the tuktuk drivers be in cahoots with thieves?
All of them.

This may be reduced if people post the registration number of the tuk tuk when they have been robbed. Even better a photo of the driver.
I don't agree with that. The passapp tuktuks are all registered. If a passapp driver is involved in more than one crime, that will show up. Most tuktuk drivers are honest and they will tell you to be careful with your luggage and when using your phone while in the tuktuk.
Police have been on the case of the airport snatchers recently. Note that the amount of bag-snatching on the road to the airport has decreased.
@ explorer. All tuktuk drivers are not thieves. They are just trying to make some money like everyone else.
I should have been more specific.

I should have said, all of those where bag snatching or phone snatching is involved, particularly between the airport and Phnom Penh.
Not all tuk tuk drivers are involved in crime. But where bag snatching between the airport and Phnom Penh is involved, the bag snatchers and tuk tuk drivers work together.

Intelligent people know what I said. But the small brains go on quoting false information again and again.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:58 pm

I should have been more specific.

I should have said, all of those where bag snatching or phone snatching is involved, particularly between the airport and Phnom Penh.

Not all tuk tuk drivers are involved in crime. But where bag snatching between the airport and Phnom Penh is involved, the bag snatchers and tuk tuk drivers work together.

Intelligent people know what I said. But the small brains go on quoting false information again and again.
I don't see the tuk tuks being arrested on the said route. I do see the bag-snatchers being arrested.

Most tuk-tuks have a hard time of it too and are generally very protective of their customers.

However, it is possible and maybe even likely that some are hand-in-hand.

Are the police involved - again in some cases it is possible and likely.

Are ALL of them involved - no way.

There are too many success stories and people handed back their belongings and deservedly so.

Again, on the said route, where the snatchers get arrested and 'confess', they would be encouraged to dob in their accomplices and the police have 'various' ways to do that.

I haven't seen it happen yet.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:58 pm Intelligent people know what I said. But the small brains go on quoting false information again and again.
So you're basically saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is stupid? Keep convincing yourself of that, what a great philosophy you have.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Bag Snatching from Tuktuk from Phnom Penh Airport
Post by explorer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am
All of them.

This may be reduced if people post the registration number of the tuk tuk when they have been robbed. Even better a photo of the driver.

17 hours later you recanted your statement with the proviso that "all of those where bag snatching or phone snatching is involved, particularly between the airport and Phnom Penh."

No retraction that the police are crooked. Small minds / small brains my friend? I certainly don t want a pissing match with you but the post is there for all to see. There is no false information, there is a statement that was made and after 17 hours of careful consideration and big brain / big mind thought, it was ammended.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:19 am I remember a long winded tale about a blind man and his dog called Monty. Since then I have been trying to develop a 'sniff-test'. It's only a prototype at this stage but this fails it.

So, OP, post some photos of any of your courts documents (delivered under armed guard) and further and better particulars of your dive centre, i.e. the name of it. Let's see if you have anything to back up your story.

If you are real you have been given some very sage advice by John Bingham. Take it.

If you are a fake, then stop wasting our time.
Yeah, these "give me some advice about my unusual situation" posts keep coming. First, SeaWolf and his "bunny boiler", then the blind guy and his girlfriend and now this guy. What next? Is someone just trying to generate traffic on this forum?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

how can we help !?
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

As far as I know there are six Dive Centers connected to Koh Rong, of which only a couple are as old as the OP states is, of which I think only one has a resort included. which is the Reef Dive Resort, is this your place OP?

The Reef has a rather odd page disparaging the owners of it going back to 2017, perhaps one is the OP https://www.facebook.com/ReefDiveResortCambodia/

saying among other things

"It is not recommended to stay here because it is managed by a few conmen nor is it advised to invest/buy this business.
Reef Resort is managed by a group of conmen and scammers. They have a history of ripping people off, not paying their debts, and taking investors money and misallocating funds for their private use. They will tell you big tales of what they own and are doing. But if you dig a little deeper, they are selling you there scam. They want your money to finance their projects but will not take any responsibility in any of it while then using money for their personal use."
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

jubo2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:41 pm how can we help !?
Perhaps a fiction writing contest? A Walter Mitty award? I certainly enjoy fiction movies, I just hate it though when they are advertised as documentaries.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 pm As far as I know there are six Dive Centers connected to Koh Rong, of which only a couple are as old as the OP states is, of which I think only one has a resort included. which is the Reef Dive Resort, is this your place OP?

The Reef has a rather odd page disparaging the owners of it going back to 2017, perhaps one is the OP https://www.facebook.com/ReefDiveResortCambodia/

saying among other things

"It is not recommended to stay here because it is managed by a few conmen nor is it advised to invest/buy this business.
Reef Resort is managed by a group of conmen and scammers. They have a history of ripping people off, not paying their debts, and taking investors money and misallocating funds for their private use. They will tell you big tales of what they own and are doing. But if you dig a little deeper, they are selling you there scam. They want your money to finance their projects but will not take any responsibility in any of it while then using money for their personal use."
There is this also

https://davedobson.wixsite.com/mysite

https://ibb.co/h5WqFQ
Locked Previous topicNext topic