Sam Rainsy blocked boarding plane in Paris

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sam Rainsy blocked boarding plane in Paris

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to this article, SR is due to give a speech in Malaysia on 12 November. If this is correct, it seems likely that he will not arrive, or attempt to arrive in Cambodia before this date.

Exiled Cambodian Opposition Leader Sam Rainsy Reaches Malaysia
2019-11-09
AFP
Cambodia’s opposition leader Sam Rainsy flew into Malaysia on Saturday, saying his campaign to challenge Prime Minister HE was “on the right track” even though he made it only part way in his return from exile.

"Keep up the hope. We're on the right track," Rainsy said on arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport after an overnight flight from Paris Friday.

"Democracy will prevail. Democracy has prevailed in Malaysia. Democracy will prevail in Cambodia," said the acting president of the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP).

Rainsy, 70, did not discuss plans to reach Cambodia from Malaysia. His earlier attempt to get there via Thailand was thwarted Thursday when he was refused permission to board a Thai Airways plane in Paris.

He told RFA’s Khmer Service that November 9 is “not the final day for repatriation to Cambodia” but a new step in his struggle to save the CNRP and democracy in Cambodia.

“This is the beginning of the struggle and fight for democracy and the revival of the CNRP”.

CNRP deputy president Mu Sochua told RFA “our plan will not change.”

“I want to appeal to all people, please continue to join with us, because we will not end this on November 9,” she said.

Rainsy said it was “a political success” for him to be allowed to land in Malaysia, after HE had pressed fellow Southeast Asian countries deny entry to CNRP members. He will give a speech to Malaysian parliament on November 12, he said.

"This is encouraging for me," he said.

Sochua echoed Rainsy’s praise of Malaysia.

“We have seen that Malaysia is very concerned for the rights and freedom for all of us,” she told RFA.

“I would like to state anew that we can come here, because they allowed us to come,” Sochua said. Malaysia allowed her to enter the country Thursday after detaining her for about 19 hours while questioning about her intentions.

“I was detained because of a black list HE, requested of Malaysia as well as other countries in the Asian region, but they detained us for a short time then released us after they understood that we are not guilty of what HE accuses us,” she told RFA.
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 12625.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 am
. He will give a speech to Malaysian parliament on November 12, he said.

"This is encouraging for me," he said.
Wrong Country. Wrong Parliament. Wrong Date.

By God sarrrr. You are a rotten snivelling coward along with Mouth Sochua you goddam pimps of the Khmer people.

Mods Please excuse old Mish swearing...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sounds like smoke and mirrors theatrics to me.

Are we expected to believe that suddenly, out of the blue, the Malaysian government just decided to invite Rainsy to address their parliament?

I would say that the addressing of the Malaysian parliament had been arranged months ago and Rainsy decided to use it as a pretense to return to Cambodia.
He lets his supporters think that he's returning 'home' to save the country. He gets barred by Thailand from entering, or so we are led to believe. Keep in mind the economy class ticket that we knew he would never use. It would be interesting to know what class ticket he flew on his flight to KL.

And then there's the sudden back flip by the Cambodian government saying that he is no longer banned from entering the country.

Totally staged!
sousadeyy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by sousadeyy »

Rainman went on Al jazeera last night, called for an uprising. Said he is definitely coming back. I would prefer skiing in France to prey sar, personally.

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I guess Ironman will be quaking in his boots.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Big'n wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 pm
Queef wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm
Clemen wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Queef wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:45 pm Is preventing fairy Sam from entering the country going to impact the withdrawal of the EBA and/or GSP? Would it be considered as undemocratic/ violation of basic human rights? Do the EU and USA even care about this fuckery?
That's what the Beebs take on it was
"Mr Ou said the actual goal might be to provoke the Cambodian government "to react in a way that will prevent any compromise between Cambodia and the European Union".
Well, I'm no political scientist/ business analyst, but that nonsense will only result in Cambodia losing to countries like Bangladesh. I'm in no way condoning the exploitation of human beings, but last time I checked, it was cheaper (and the quality of the goods produced was far better) to set up garment factories in Bangladesh.

Rwanda has a Volkswagen plant now. Rwanda also manufactures its own smartphones and has banned plastic bags. Ethiopia is developing quite rapidly and human capital is on the rise. Why can't that happen here?
"Why can't that happen here?"

That's a rhetorical question, right?
Yes and no. After spending some time working in Cambodia with both expats and Cambodians, I can guarantee you that Cambodia has about everything it needs to perform really well. Yet, Cambodia keeps on shooting itself in the foot and pointing fingers at others.

Back to Rain "pussy ass" sy, his intention was never to come back to Cambodia. Similarly to your 20 something year old niece on Instagram, he's just clout chasing. Was he flying business? Why was he wearing a suit to fly back to Cambodia? Why not his party's colors? Doesn't he have a PR team?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Guess Indonesia doesn't want make problem with he as well
Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday.

The "acting president" of the Cambodia National Rescue Party's announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur.

Rainsy arrived in Kuala Lumpur airport on Saturday afternoon after boarding a flight from Paris, where he has been living for more than four years.

On Wednesday afternoon he was barred from boarding a flight at Kuala Lumpur airport to the Indonesian capital Jakarta, where he had planned to spend several days, AFP reported.

"Malaysia Airlines denied the boarding of [Rainsy] under the instruction of the Indonesian authorities," the airline said in a statement to AFP.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ht-jakarta
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

He is allowed to fly to Jakarta tomorrow morning. The only country who didn't allow entry is Thailand and HE buddy prayut.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

King Keil wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:59 am He is allowed to fly to Jakarta tomorrow morning. The only country who didn't allow entry is Thailand and HE buddy prayut.
my link states he was NOT allowed to board:

Yet you say he can?

LINK???? :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic