It’s getting worse in the provinces

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: It’s getting worse in the provinces

Post by John Bingham »

I'm becoming a bit concerned about all these reports from the provinces the OP is getting from his estranged bride. One day it's that it's apparently okay for him to have another lover as he lives so far away, and it was implied that this would be reciprocal. Then there was the false pregnancy test "joke", and now it seems like they have suddenly discovered crystal meth in the boonies. Am I the only person who sees these all as rather ominous? When the cat's away the mice can play. I fear for this naive chap.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am :nono:
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 am Cambodia makes 60% of its own meth, so drugs are an all pervading thing. It's about wealth gaps, really. If you have large-scale disenfranchisement and a significant gap in the distribution of wealth you will always have violence and instability. cf Brazil, South Africa, Angola, Chile, Argentina etc etc. Unless there are polices for the more equal distribution of wealth then life will get cheaper, not more respected.
Where are you getting that 60% figure from? I can only remember one meth lab ever being found here, and as far as I know nearly all of it comes from China/ Myanmar.
As for the OP, as others have said, drugs in rural areas are nothing new.
It was in an article about four or five years ago. I could search my history and maybe find when, but I can't really be arsed.
Unverifiable then so basically just hearsay and nonsense.
There was the very in-depth article about the meth trade in reuters - https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... syndicate/
the majority is made in Myanmar.

I would find the figure for home production t 60% high and i cannot find anything from UNODC or NACD suggesting it is although it is highlighted here as a major trafficking and processing place but not priduction https://vodenglish.news/drug-processing ... cials-say/

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/down-and ... h-addicts/
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

taabarang wrote:Yeah New Kid, UT raises some valid points, not the least of which is your failure to name the province. The bucolic splendor of rural Cambodia is frequently subject to exageration. Recently in Tbong Khum we have had a
similar outbreak; I really don't want to repeat your story.unintentially.
How about Siem Reap province?

Thanks for everyone’s concern about my well-being.

Missus likes to contrast what’s normally expected of other Khmer girls do (especially with a foreigner partner) with what she does.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 am Missus likes to contrast what’s normally expected of other Khmer girls do (especially with a foreigner partner) with what she does.
Sure, the others are all bad. I understand. :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 am
taabarang wrote:Yeah New Kid, UT raises some valid points, not the least of which is your failure to name the province. The bucolic splendor of rural Cambodia is frequently subject to exageration. Recently in Tbong Khum we have had a

Missus likes to contrast what’s normally expected of other Khmer girls do (especially with a foreigner partner) with what she does.
I hate to break it to you but I certainly don't give a flying about your well being because you come across as a right prick who looks down on everyone else. Haven't you managed to ship your goods to America yet ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:46 am

I hate to break it to you but I certainly don't give a flying about your well being because you come across as a right prick who looks down on everyone else. Haven't you managed to ship your goods to America yet ?
I don't feel NKOTB is a prick at all. More hopelessly naive, with a complete lack of tact.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Satiated Parrot wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:26 am

I don't feel NKOTB is a prick at all. More hopelessly naive, with a complete lack of tact.
Arrogance is about intent: its when ability (or perceived ability) is used to look down on others.
Tactless synonyms include discourteous, uncivil and impolite, I have never seen him be any of these.
But we can agree on hopelessly naive.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If I was a mod I'd bann you for a week . There's no need to start name calling here . There are other forums that will welcome you and your views.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic