Westerner may face 7 years in prison for yanking open aircraft door.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Westerner may face 7 years in prison for yanking open aircraft door.

Post by DaveG »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:25 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm
yong wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm This could be stupid however unforgivable as it endangers many lives.
How opening an emergency exit while taxiing endangers many lives is beyond me.

Stupid, yes.
Dangerous, hardly.
What if he had done it two minutes later with the plane about to lift off?
I'm no aviation expert but I'd assume it's near-on impossible to open an aircraft door while the plane is in full motion (either in flight or taking off at speed) due to the extreme differences in pressure between the inside and outside of the aircraft?

How drunk must you have to be to do something like that? Drunk enough for the ground crew to realise he perhaps wasn't fit to fly?
Below 8000 it could be done, I wouldn't recommend trying or joking about doing it when on board a flight, they tend to have a serious sense of humour failure when it comes to thing like this.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

He would have been much better off if he had practised opening a window first.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

yong wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm This could be stupid however unforgivable as it endangers many lives.

Stupid, yes.
Dangerous, hardly.
He is guilty of what he did, he is not guilty of what he hypothetically could have done.

I doubt he gets locked up 7 years.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Had a drunk guy try to do this on a Thai Airways flight from Bangkok to London ... at altitude. Was no fun I can tell you, didn’t sleep a wink for the remaining 8 hours as he was physically restrained in his seat but still trying to free himself. Arrested as soon as the plane came to a stop in Heathrow. Utterly bonkers.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm .... at altitude.
I don't think it's even possible to open an emergency exit door when at altitude. The pressure differential plus that fact that the doors open and swing inward would preclude the success any drunken inflight shenanigans.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Brody wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm
Spigzy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm .... at altitude.
I don't think it's even possible to open an emergency exit door when at altitude. The pressure differential plus that fact that the doors open and swing inward would preclude the success any drunken inflight shenanigans.
I think also there is a safety mechanism that only the cockpit crew can enable the release of the emergency exits, etc. but no expert, so a pretty shitty flight all in! :)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Stupid, yes.
Dangerous, hardly.
I'm no aviation expert but I'd assume it's near-on impossible to open an aircraft door while the plane is in full motion (either in flight or taking off at speed) due to the extreme differences in pressure between the inside and outside of the aircraft?

How drunk must you have to be to do something like that? Drunk enough for the ground crew to realise he perhaps wasn't fit to fly?

Planes don't get pressurized at sea level pressure and then keep that throughout the flight. They don't really get pressurized until they're getting towards 8,000 feet, then the pressure never goes above about 8psi at the max.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/exits/
WHAT IF SOMEBODY OPENS A DOOR DURING FLIGHT?
It seems that a week can’t go by without hearing the latest story about a passenger who went cuckoo and tried to yank open an emergency exit, only to be tackled and restrained by those around him, who thought they were on the verge of being ejected into the troposphere.

While the news never fails to report these events, it seldom mentions the most important fact: you cannot –- repeat, cannot — open the doors or emergency hatches of an airplane in flight. You can’t open them for the simple reason that cabin pressure won’t allow it. Think of an aircraft door as a drain plug, fixed in place by the interior pressure. Almost all aircraft exits open inward. Some retract upward into the ceiling; others swing outward; but they open inward first, and not even the most musclebound human will overcome the force holding them shut. At a typical cruising altitude, up to eight pounds of pressure are pushing against every square inch of interior fuselage. That’s over eleven hundred pounds against each square foot of door. Even at low altitudes, where cabin pressure levels are much less, a meager 2 p.s.i. differential is still more than anyone can displace — even after six cups of coffee and the aggravation that comes with sitting behind a shrieking baby. The doors are further held secure by a series of electrical and/or mechanical latches.

So, while I wouldn’t recommend it, unless you enjoy being pummeled and placed in a choke-hold by panicked passengers, a person could, conceivably, sit there all day tugging on a door handle to his or her heart’s content. The door is not going to open (though you might get a red light flashing in the cockpit, causing me to spill my Coke Zero). You would need a hydraulic jack, and the TSA doesn’t allow those.

On the 19-passenger turboprop I used to fly, the main cabin door had an inflatable seal around its inner sill. During flight the seal would inflate, helping to lock in cabin pressure while blocking out the racket from the engines. Every now and then the seal would suffer a leak or puncture and begin to deflate, sometimes rapidly. The resultant loss of pressurization was easily addressed and ultimately harmless, but the sudden noise — a great, hundred-decibel sucking sound together with the throb of two 1,100 horsepower engines only a few feet away — would startle the hell out of everybody on the plane, including me.

On the ground the situation changes — as one would hope, with the possibility of an evacuation in mind. During taxi, you will get the door to open. You will also activate the door’s emergency escape slide. As an aircraft approaches the gate, you will sometimes hear the cabin crew calling out “doors to manual” or “disarm doors.” This has to do with overriding the automatic deployment function of the slides. Those slides can unfurl with enough force to kill a person, and you don’t want them billowing onto the jet bridge or into a catering truck.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

As my hero Forrest Gump once said.

"Stupid is, as stupid does"

I think this sums up this guy and the door.
What, Me worry?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Stupid, yes.
Dangerous, hardly.
He is guilty of what he did, he is not guilty of what he hypothetically could have done.

I doubt he gets locked up 7 years.
Tell that to everyone nicked on conspiracy charges lol
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic