It’s getting worse in the provinces

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: It’s getting worse in the provinces

Post by Duncan »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am In Bumfuck Thailand, it is the same. What is a 17-year-old to do? Go to bed at 8 pm like everyone else? White whiskey and meth are the only two escapes. Braindead with no foreseeable future the rural poor teenager has few good options to choose from. Get high, get your girlfriend pregnant and pray to Buddha that someday you can run away to the big city and get a shitty construction job.

As to things being different in the 70's, yes, war and genocide definitely put a crimp on thug life.

Your so right there, war has always been used as a method to get rid of all those young teenagers with too much testosterone in their system and not enough to do except complain about their government.. It also cuts out a bit of competition for the females and it's easier for the older generation males that design the wars to score a bit on the side.

Yep, we need another war.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:08 am
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am In Bumfuck Thailand, it is the same. What is a 17-year-old to do? Go to bed at 8 pm like everyone else? White whiskey and meth are the only two escapes. Braindead with no foreseeable future the rural poor teenager has few good options to choose from. Get high, get your girlfriend pregnant and pray to Buddha that someday you can run away to the big city and get a shitty construction job.

As to things being different in the 70's, yes, war and genocide definitely put a crimp on thug life.

Your so right there, war has always been used as a method to get rid of all those young teenagers with too much testosterone in their system and not enough to do except complain about their government.. It also cuts out a bit of competition for the females and it's easier for the older generation males that design the wars to score a bit on the side.

Yep, we need another war.
Give War a Chance!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've had many people tell me that drugs are an increasingly bad problem in their hometowns, especially those in Kandal. I don't think the meth problem in SEA is a big secret anymore.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

It is a crime that pot is not legal here. The country kids could grow their own stash, be mellow instead the choice is steal and stay up for 3 days.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm It is a crime that pot is not legal here. The country kids could grow their own stash, be mellow instead the choice is steal and stay up for 3 days.
I don't think they have any interest in grandpa drugs.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm It is a crime that pot is not legal here. The country kids could grow their own stash, be mellow instead the choice is steal and stay up for 3 days.
wow, my "ok Boomer" moment
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm
wow, my "ok Boomer" moment
Far from JB's comment being a "boomer" comment, he is stating the fact that mary jane is viewed here as what granny puts in grandpas soup. That is why it is legal to have happy pizza places as it is used as a traditional cooking ingredient here and so is legal technically to cook with only. Ergo, you have younger generations in the provinces especially who view it as something the old generation use and are not interested in it.

Now in Phnom Penh for example some of the younger ones who mix with western crowds will smoke and view it differently, with its links to certain music genre's and the new more western strains hitting the market. FOr those stuck in the province they will always associate the ditch weed they get there as that which the older generation use and therefore want no part in it. That is presumably why meth is becoming more popular, along with the effects that go with it, staving off hunger, sense of well-being, happiness, confidence and energetic as the dopamine levels are raised. All which probably appeal more to a young kid struggling in the province as a form of escapism
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am :nono:
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 am Cambodia makes 60% of its own meth, so drugs are an all pervading thing. It's about wealth gaps, really. If you have large-scale disenfranchisement and a significant gap in the distribution of wealth you will always have violence and instability. cf Brazil, South Africa, Angola, Chile, Argentina etc etc. Unless there are polices for the more equal distribution of wealth then life will get cheaper, not more respected.
Where are you getting that 60% figure from? I can only remember one meth lab ever being found here, and as far as I know nearly all of it comes from China/ Myanmar.
As for the OP, as others have said, drugs in rural areas are nothing new.
It was in an article about four or five years ago. I could search my history and maybe find when, but I can't really be arsed.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 am Missus just told me that rival gangs had a knife fight at the public school and that a famous singer was caught in between, got sliced up, and is now dead. Some of the scum were from the village. Drugs have permeated even the backwater countryside.

CEO news.. can you find this story translate and post?
Does the missus live in Svay Rieng? Was this the incident http://www.arey-news.com/archives/339165
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cptrelentless wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am :nono:
cptrelentless wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 am Cambodia makes 60% of its own meth, so drugs are an all pervading thing. It's about wealth gaps, really. If you have large-scale disenfranchisement and a significant gap in the distribution of wealth you will always have violence and instability. cf Brazil, South Africa, Angola, Chile, Argentina etc etc. Unless there are polices for the more equal distribution of wealth then life will get cheaper, not more respected.
Where are you getting that 60% figure from? I can only remember one meth lab ever being found here, and as far as I know nearly all of it comes from China/ Myanmar.
As for the OP, as others have said, drugs in rural areas are nothing new.
It was in an article about four or five years ago. I could search my history and maybe find when, but I can't really be arsed.
Unverifiable then so basically just hearsay and nonsense.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic