Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sherbal
Tourist
Great Britain

Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

Post by Sherbal »

Hi all
After 12 years of living and working in Cambodia that time has come to an end. Why ? well not an easy one liner but I will give it my best effort. I arrived in Sihanoukeville in August 2008 to take part in the first Cambodia instructor development course for scuba diving which I duely completed and fell in love with the country especially Koh Rong Samleon Mpei Bei or village 23.
I worked for various dive companies and conservation operations on a freelance basis until starting my own dive centre in 2012 until present day. In October 2016 I was given notice from my landlord that my current lease wasnt going to be renewed due to them moving away and selling the land to Chinese/Taiwanese group so I needed to find alternative premises.
Lucky enough the place next door which was alot bigger and a resort not just a dive centre had become available and I had the chance to take over the lease, unfortunately I didnt have enough money to take it on without bringing in a partner/investor which I did.
This is where the problems started, the guy I took on as a partner in the resort who was supposed to run the bar and kitchen and accomodation was actually more interested in supplying all sorts of illegal substances to whoever wanted them, I made it very clear this was unacceptable and any further illegal activity and he would have to leave.
I was then contacted by the chief of police for the Sanghat in the village who wanted to see me, I ws having a break in Riem at he time so drove back to Sihanoukeville and met with him, he showed me an incriminating photograph of this person in front of a mirror with a large pile of white powder, scales, plastic bags and a joint in his hand whilst wearing one of my dive centre vests.
When asked to explain this I was somewhat at a loss and said I couldnt explain it at all, he asked me not to mention it as he was going to the island to arrest him.
Obviously I went straight back to the island and warned him and told him to leave which he eventually did, he tehn after a few weeks asked for his investment back which I agreed to repay over time as I couldnt just pay him back as the money had gone to take over the lease otherwise I wouldnt have needed an investor in the first place. He got aggressive and threatening in the end I told him to sling it and dont ask me again.
A year or so went by and I get an invitation to attend court by documents delivered by armed police to my resort, I contacted a lawyer who said I should go whih I did and there were allegations of assault and obtaining money by deception which was total fabrication, in the end I was told by the lawyer that it would cost $10,000 to make it go away $3000 for lawyer $7000 for the court which I paid under duress and rceived documents to say it was over.
A year later the case has been reopened and my lawyer again went to the court and if I didnt pay more money then I was looking at a longtime in jail I didnt have any money so took additional advise and left the country whilst trying to sort this mess out.
I still dont know what I have been charged with.
I have had no documents from the court.
I have had no response from the anti-corruption unit in Phnom Penh
Every other lawyer I speak to wants between $1500-$3000 before they do anything.
I am stuck with this idiot now going around my resort telling everyone he is the new owner and has everything is his ????
So I have stopped paying the rent and bills and the lease is now forfeit under non payment clause so now he is saying he owns all my diving equipment and kitchen equipment which I paid for seperatley it can only be described as the worst case of blatant corruption i have ver seen as I was informedhe had payed the judge alot of money to make this happen.
Anyone have any ideas I am all ears ?????????????
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Getting Scammed after 12 years living in Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I guess you didn't make any friends with the police when you did exactly the opposite of what they told you to do and informed your friend of their intention to arrest him, thus allowing a known drug dealer to escape conviction. Not sure why you would gave done that but j think this is the decision that made it all go wrong for you?

As it seems you cannot return to the country as you would be arrested and you dont have the money to avoid that or to make this go away then I am not sure there is anything that you can do except lament your decision to grant him his freedom and be grateful that at least you escaped with your freedom which you very nearly lost.

Only money would fix this now, and it make not fix it forever as you have already seen
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Yes, I would second the comments above. Seems the local police trusted you and you basically double crossed them.

That basically made you fair game.

You did the right thing by leaving the country and I'd suggest its time to find fresh waters to explore.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Edited. Doesn't matter.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Should of given the 10 g to the guy you deceived
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I can't really understand the part about your court cases.

You paid 10k to make a false allegation go away?

Who was the court case brought by? Who did you allegedly assault? Who did you allegedly obtain money by deception from?

Do you have evidence in your favor - as your opponents apparently do - at least 10k's worth of it by your account.

And calling it 'your' resort is not strictly speaking true. Your investor had a stake in the claim so it should be 'our' resort, until you bought him out.

Finally, I guess the investor has a right to reclaim his part on your assets if you risked his money by not paying the rent etc.

I'm not taking sides. It's an interesting story. Please elaborate
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Your mistake was having a business arrangement with someone involved in drugs.

He probably told the police they can extort money from you.

Are you still there, or have you already left the country?

Do you have any items you can get money for. Wait until some time when your business partner is not around, grab any valuable items, and go. Sell anything you can. Then fairly quickly, take a one way trip out of the country.

You may be arrested and charged with being a drug dealer. You may spend many years in jail. Neither your business partner or the police care about you or the truth, they just want money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Sherbal wrote: .../... Obviously I went straight back to the island and warned him and told him to leave .../...
Unlawful and immoral decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:57 pm
Sherbal wrote: .../... Obviously I went straight back to the island and warned him and told him to leave .../...

Maybe it's what they call karma.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Personally I doubt this part of the story. Why would the police inform him about the planned arrest of someone?

But, if it's true, telling his 'partner' was pretty stupid.
Locked Previous topicNext topic