How good is your Khmer language?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.

Grade your Khmer proficiency

Poll ended at Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

I can say and recognize a dozen most common words, numbers.
36%
I can string very basic sentences together (A1 level).
14%
Can hold a short awkward conversation missing many details (A2).
14%
Unsophisticated people ask me “how many years are you in Cambodia?” (B1).
14%
I am more or less fluent in Khmer, understand much content on TV and radio, can read newspapers. Still have to look up new words every 5 minutes (B2).
21%
I understand everything around me and broadcast on media with a few odd words (C1).
No votes

Total votes: 28
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

How good is your Khmer language?

Post by hunter8 »

Running a short quiz here. Please estimate your knowledge of Khmer. I omitted level C2 which implies an ability to read any kind of literature (fiction, scientific) at a near native level of a local with higher education. If you are C2, please feel free to post about it.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How good is your Khmer language?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Where's the "I don't speak or understand a word" option?
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm Where's the "I don't speak or understand a word" option?
No have :pardon:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

hunter8 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:08 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:05 pm Where's the "I don't speak or understand a word" option?
I only ask because it's been my experience to meet many expats who live in their adopted country without ever having uttered so much as a local suosdei.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 pm
I only ask because it's been my experience to meet many expats who live in their adopted country without ever uttering so much as a local suosdei.
They can default to the very first option or skip voting. This poll is a little discriminatory to favor those with at least a slight interest in the Khmer language. But everyone’s opinion is welcome of course.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:14 pm
I only ask because it's been my experience to meet many expats who live in their adopted country without ever having uttered so much as a local suosdei.
What does "suosdei" mean?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It's a bit difficult to rate one's own language proficiency. I voted B2 because of the description, but I'd say I'm between B1 and B2 in spoken Khmer and more realistically, B1 overall. I'm basically fluent in most normal conversations (in say, about 90%+ settings), but it can take more effort to understand the news, for example. My vocabulary will be disproportionately strong in some areas because of particular hobbies, but weak in others. Same goes for some foreign friends who also speak. For instance, one guy I know knows most fish names in Khmer because he loves fishing, whereas I know just a few... However, my reading and writing would be at almost zero (basic reading, but I've forgotten most of my writing). The effort-reward ratio for writing is quite low imo.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:35 pm It's a bit difficult to rate one's own language proficiency. I voted B2 because of the description, but I'd say I'm between B1 and B2 in spoken Khmer and more realistically, B1 overall. I'm basically fluent in most normal conversations (in say, about 90%+ settings), but it can take more effort to understand the news, for example. My vocabulary will be disproportionately strong in some areas because of particular hobbies, but weak in others. Same goes for some foreign friends who also speak. For instance, one guy I know knows most fish names in Khmer because he loves fishing, whereas I know just a few... However, my reading and writing would be at almost zero (basic reading, but I've forgotten most of my writing). The effort-reward ratio for writing is quite low imo.
Yes, it would take to sit a proper test to give an accurate grade. We can approximate here. As for writing, in this age typing a message on a phone or computer equals writing. Could be a not so important skill for many people.

Personally I am illiterate in Khmer, so far I’ve been using latin transcription in my studies. But I understand that to reach my desired level (B2) I must make myself learn the alphabet and start reading.

Please, everyone, share more of your experiences.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

2009 Me: Ok, first thing first, priority is to learn the language.
2012 Me: Ok, now I’m settled with a partner, I’ll be fluent in a couple of months.
2013 Me: Babies learns so fast! Let’s have a baby and I’ll just follow the learning pace and totally fluent in 36 months.
2015 Me: Give me another baby, the first one is dumb.
2016 Me: Im running an hotel, a restaurant and a bakery. 85 employees are working for me, for sure I’m going to learn fast now.
2019 Me: Still can’t say or understand a short sentence. I know pets who understand Khmer better than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I can talk to Cambodian people about almost anything, and understand what they are saying. However, there are still a lot of words I don't know, particularly words used less often, or words relating to something I am not familiar with. So I am still learning.

I can have a telephone conversation in Khmer. I mention that because on a phone you can't use hand movements and things like that.

If I am with someone who doesn't speak English and they say a word I don't understand, I can ask them what it means, and when they explain the meaning using Khmer, I can usually understand. There are some words I may still need to refer to someone who speaks English, or use a dictionary.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic