Fat salaries keep foreigners in Vietnam despite dirty air

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Fat salaries keep foreigners in Vietnam despite dirty air

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

by Daisy Nguyen
November 8, 2019

While Vietnam’s worsening pollution worries foreigners living here, economics and the fact they have put down roots mean most are not contemplating leaving.

She thought about leaving Vietnam several times to escape the dirty air, but quickly abandoned the idea each time. There are not a lot of other places, not even her native U.S, where Claire can get such a well-paid job.

With a monthly income of $2,500, she has a good life in Hanoi because “everything in Vietnam is inexpensive.”“My background is psychology, and I could not find a job in my country. But here, things are easier.”

With the cost of living for foreigners ranging from $700 to $1,400 per month, the country is among the most affordable places for them to settle down, according to a report by global cost of living database compiler Numbeo. The number of foreigners living in the country rose from a mere 12,600 in 2004 to 83,500 in 2015.

Earlier last month several diplomatic missions in Vietnam warned their citizens about severe air pollution in Hanoi and HCMC, advising them to check the AQI and protect themselves when traveling to the two cities.

“High levels of air pollution, up to and including hazardous levels, occur in Vietnam, particularly in the biggest cities, and may aggravate heart, lung or respiratory conditions,” the British embassy in Hanoi cautioned. It also advised citizens to check the AQI on the Internet.

full https://vietnaminsider.vn/fat-salaries- ... dirty-air/
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Fat salaries keep foreigners in Vietnam despite dirty air

Post by Nicolas »

I wasn’t expected to read $2,500 as an example of fat salary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 pm I wasn’t expected to read $2,500 as an example of fat salary

I could not live in Ha Noi on $2,500 but then I guess it is a lot if compared to many of the English teachers.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:59 am Image

by Daisy Nguyen
November 8, 2019

While Vietnam’s worsening pollution worries foreigners living here, economics and the fact they have put down roots mean most are not contemplating leaving.

She thought about leaving Vietnam several times to escape the dirty air, but quickly abandoned the idea each time. There are not a lot of other places, not even her native U.S, where Claire can get such a well-paid job.

With a monthly income of $2,500, she has a good life in Hanoi because “everything in Vietnam is inexpensive.”“My background is psychology, and I could not find a job in my country. But here, things are easier.”

With the cost of living for foreigners ranging from $700 to $1,400 per month, the country is among the most affordable places for them to settle down, according to a report by global cost of living database compiler Numbeo. The number of foreigners living in the country rose from a mere 12,600 in 2004 to 83,500 in 2015.

Earlier last month several diplomatic missions in Vietnam warned their citizens about severe air pollution in Hanoi and HCMC, advising them to check the AQI and protect themselves when traveling to the two cities.

“High levels of air pollution, up to and including hazardous levels, occur in Vietnam, particularly in the biggest cities, and may aggravate heart, lung or respiratory conditions,” the British embassy in Hanoi cautioned. It also advised citizens to check the AQI on the Internet.

full https://vietnaminsider.vn/fat-salaries- ... dirty-air/
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I think most of us do OK here in Cambodia as well and we may not have the pollution of Vietnam but we got crappy infrastructure and many other issued including the destruction of beautiful parts of the country , but of course we also put down roots here so we take it as it still gives us a nice life for the most part
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

hanno wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 pm I wasn’t expected to read $2,500 as an example of fat salary

I could not live in Ha Noi on $2,500 but then I guess it is a lot if compared to many of the English teachers.
Please tell us more sir. Many people on here deserve a break too. If you can help to 2,500 or more you will be guaranteed many followers and maybe you yourself shift to the next level.

Obviously you can weed out the no-hopers, but I am fairly sure a few CEO posters are genuine. Myself included. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic