The People You Most Want To Avoid In SE Asia (and sometimes everywhere else too)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: The People You Most Want To Avoid In SE Asia (and sometimes everywhere else too)

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Homo sapiens

(written and spoken by SA Albifrons on behalf of every other species on the planet)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The People You Most Want To Avoid In SE Asia (and sometimes everywhere else too)

Post by John Bingham »

I barely ever encounter characters like that anymore. I rarely go to bars so that helps. When I do it's usually to meet old friends from out of town or here, so I wouldn't be getting into conversations with random dudes if I can help it. The friends and people I know here are nothing like any of those stereotypes, not saying they are angels but they are in the main part successful and have had long careers spanning many places(I'm not including myself in that group, I'm a basketcase but not doing too badly!). I don't care how long someone has been here, I'm more interested in a bigger picture. Cambodia is only one part of the wider world, and much as I like it I wouldn't expect everyone to like it as much as I do and stay here for so long.

Thanks for posting those vignettes though, I thought they were hilarious. Best thread in ages!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The narcissist, the 'I get it for for free' boaster and Smoking Joe Conrad's father.
Smoking Joe Conrad
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Smoking Joe Conrad »

Expats who detest each other:

The been there done that guy and the newbie vortex hate each other as the newbie vortex keeps popping up at been there done that guys ‘hidden gem’ restaurants and bars for old timers only with some prick who has only been in country for a couple of months, thus ruining the place forever.

But what been there done that has forgotten is that it was the newbie vortex who had introduced him to the hidden gem spot in the first fucking place, yes been there done that was once a newbie too although he would never admit it, and it’s this very fact of forgetting and therefore not giving the newbie vortex credit where credit is due that is the source of so much animosity from the newbie vortex towards the been there done that guy.

So the two of them are trapped in some push me pull you black hole of expat pettiness
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

did your wife leave again?

monstra mihi bona!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Smoking Joe Conrad wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:33 pm The ‘you don’t want to meet the old me’ prat - this middle aged prick is a clean living fellow who barely drinks, works out, eats healthy, looks in good shape for his age and has a pretty local missus and a young family. Despite his wholesomeness, responsible attitude and friendly demeanour he will often allude to, but never directly talk about, an incredibly dark past. This enigmatic bullshit artist with his fake humble attitude (for he is an arrogant fucker) wears pretty thin after knowing the cunt for a year and you want the twat to either open up or shut the fuck up about his past.This king goon plonker is someone like me and I have just done all of the above in this very post.
I'm sure we must have met... :stir:
CommandoRed
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by CommandoRed »

The Ladyboy. Close thread.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

The Have-it-all.

Entrepreneur, big car, sexy wife, lots of money, fancy life, land and connections, earned by good work, good attitude, perseverance and a bit of luck.

Because the real test is : can you take it that this guy realised your dreams in the same environment, but he's not actually you ? Can you keep your cool, not throw yourself at him, and go on with your less shiny life without saying shit on him ?

For many frustrated people, sometimes even the best can hurt and is best avoided.

* Mic drop*
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Well said, Ghost.
But i will go further than that, and others have alluded to this also,
Finger pointing at anyone - up or down on the social scale - is usually a sign of frustration/ disappointment/ unhappiness at your own life.

And yes indeed, challenging that is the true test.
(one of them)
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Anyone with an AK47.
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic