Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expat's Online has a huge community of long term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or anywhere else in the Kingdom. Don't be shy, ask CEO's members anything!
User avatar
John Bingham
Expatriate
Posts: 6425
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 pm
Reputation: 2311
Yemen

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by John Bingham » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:46 pm

explorer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm
I would like to encourage people to learn Khmer. Your experience in the country may be so much better.
Thanks for the tip, it will be my 20th anniversary of first arriving here next month, and I never once thought that speaking that spaghetti-looking language would be any use. I just shout in colloquial English louder and louder until they get the point, while scratching my spondulicks in a wife-beater and dribbling all over the place. Your posts have been a revelation to me, thanks again. :hattip:
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 am
Reputation: 236
United States of America

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by angkorjohn2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am

[Admin Edit: Uncalled for, come on.]
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 1780
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 566
Cambodia

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by Kammekor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 am

explorer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm
As people read this forum who don't speak Khmer, I will explain this. Here is the issue.
fax wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:37 pm
timmydownawell wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm
dop dola
I think you mean dab.
explorer wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:05 pm
The Khmer word for ten sounds like 'dop.'
You say ten dollars. They say dop dola.
Phnom Poon wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 pm
dab dolla?
wtf?
There are some people who contribute to this forum who don't speak Khmer, but just find information on the internet. If they get it wrong, they don't know, because they don't speak the language. People who speak the language well, know how it is pronounced.

Think about the letter 'y' in English. If you look on the internet you may find out it is pronounced as in 'yes,' 'you' or 'yellow,' and that is correct.

But what about the word 'happy' or 'funny.' It is pronounced completely different.

Some letters can be pronounced differently in different situations, in English and Khmer.

What about the Khmer letter 'ប.'

When it is at the beginning of a word, it is normally pronounced like the letter 'b' in English.

But when it is at the end of a word, it is normally pronounced like the letter 'p' in English.

fax found out from the internet that it was pronounced like the 'b' in English. But missed the part where it is normally pronounced like the 'p' in English when at the end of a word.

He even missed it in the information he was providing. Notice at the right, it can be pronounced like 'b' or 'p.'

Image

I would like to encourage people to learn Khmer. Your experience in the country may be so much better.
Just keep digging. You are the one bringing up pronunciation, so you're just discussing this with yourself. The issue Fax brought up was the conversion from Khmer to Latin script. Not pronunciation. :facepalm:
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Reputation: 3
Nepal

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by daeum_tnaot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Emmm... so still not sure if I can pay the overstay at a land border or not...

From my perspective on the language controversy, the Khmer letter in question actually varies from a 'p' to a 'b' depending on the word, and as one person mentioned, it can also be between the two like a 'bp' sound. It seems that I remember that other letters in Khmer also have this same tendency. It's strange, but I think it results from the writing of words being quite old, whereas the pronunciation evolves over time, in some cases leaving the original written version behind.

And then of course there are regional variations as well as individual variations.
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 594
Australia

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by explorer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm

daeum_tnaot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
From my perspective on the language controversy, the Khmer letter in question actually varies from a 'p' to a 'b' depending on the word, and as one person mentioned, it can also be between the two like a 'bp' sound. It seems that I remember that other letters in Khmer also have this same tendency. It's strange, but I think it results from the writing of words being quite old, whereas the pronunciation evolves over time, in some cases leaving the original written version behind.
Much of this occurs because we think of it from the perspective of English. They don't determine their pronunciation with reverence to English. English letters can be said in different ways, and Khmer letters can be said in different ways.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 712
New Zealand

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 pm

daeum_tnaot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Emmm... so still not sure if I can pay the overstay at a land border or not...
Yes, if your overstay is less than 30 days then you can pay the overstay fine of $10 per day at any international border.

Overstays of 30+ days must be settled at the DoI in Pochentong and an Exit Visa obtained.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 491
Cambodia

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by Mishmash » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:46 pm
explorer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm
I would like to encourage people to learn Khmer. Your experience in the country may be so much better.
Thanks for the tip, it will be my 20th anniversary of first arriving here next month, and I never once thought that speaking that spaghetti-looking language would be any use. I just shout in colloquial English louder and louder until they get the point, while scratching my spondulicks in a wife-beater and dribbling all over the place. Your posts have been a revelation to me, thanks again. :hattip:
Happy Anniversary JB :thumb:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 491
Cambodia

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by Mishmash » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Emmm... so still not sure if I can pay the overstay at a land border or not...
Yes, if your overstay is less than 30 days then you can pay the overstay fine of $10 per day at any international border.

Overstays of 30+ days must be settled at the DoI in Pochentong and an Exit Visa obtained.
Always useful to know just in case keeping "the single most important document" up-to-date ever slips my mind :thumb:
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Reputation: 3
Nepal

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by daeum_tnaot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:30 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
Emmm... so still not sure if I can pay the overstay at a land border or not...
Yes, if your overstay is less than 30 days then you can pay the overstay fine of $10 per day at any international border.

Overstays of 30+ days must be settled at the DoI in Pochentong and an Exit Visa obtained.
Thanks for confirming!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Reputation: 3
Nepal

Re: Is the $5 per day overstay rule still in place?

Post by daeum_tnaot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 pm

explorer wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:36 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm
From my perspective on the language controversy, the Khmer letter in question actually varies from a 'p' to a 'b' depending on the word, and as one person mentioned, it can also be between the two like a 'bp' sound. It seems that I remember that other letters in Khmer also have this same tendency. It's strange, but I think it results from the writing of words being quite old, whereas the pronunciation evolves over time, in some cases leaving the original written version behind.
Much of this occurs because we think of it from the perspective of English. They don't determine their pronunciation with reverence to English. English letters can be said in different ways, and Khmer letters can be said in different ways.
Not totally in agreement. Yes it is true that some letters in English have more than one pronunciation. But I think it is fairly standardized (with some variations depending on dialect, for example the silent 'h' sound).

Having studied a few other languages, Khmer seems to be unusual to me in the extent to which there is ambiguity about sounds of certain letters, that fluctuate between two sounds, or somewhere dead in the middle. Another example is the 'd', 't', and 'dt' sound. Again, I am speculating but I suspect that this is because of archaic spellings.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Felgerkarb, Freightdog and 141 guests