Trying to Close Cambodia's Dog Meat Slaughterhouses

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
adders28
Expatriate

Re: Trying to Close Cambodia's Dog Meat Slaughterhouses

Post by adders28 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:43 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am Personally I have a bad feeling about telling the Cambodians they shouldn't eat dog. What's next? Muslims protesting at Western slaughterhouses? Would that be acceptable to the dog lovers around?
Like telling the Japanese to not eat whale meat.
Even though it is not eaten in the same volumes now, Japan does not think that other countries can tell them what they can and can't eat.

Whaling nations have all said that the practice is part of their culture and should be able to continue in a sustainable way.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/48823580
They think of eating lamb as we do eating dog, ive not met one cambodian that wanted any of my lamb shank ( lucky for me)
as for people here saying they dont eat meat at all for buddhist reasons, i call that BS, only met a few wont eat beef but pork, chicken etc are fair game.....
out in the provinces chicken seems main diet
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hanno wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:38 pm
Kinetic wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 pm Imagine indian organisation coming in occident and trying to close beef slaughterhouses. :dm:
Took long enough, I was waiting for the first inane comment like that.
Why is Kinetic's post inane?

How is an Indian organisation trying to close down a beef slaughterhouse in Cambodia different from Four Paws, a global animal welfare organization trying to close down a dog slaughterhouse (not that I reckon they exist on a large scale but that's beside the point) in Cambodia?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Instead of closing them down just educate and provide resources to kill the dogs nicely like all the other slaughter houses :facepalm:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

atst wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:28 pm Instead of closing them down just educate and provide resources to kill the dogs nicely like all the other slaughter houses
At all the other slaughter houses animals are not killed nicely. Maybe you could have said:

Educate and provide resources to kill all animals in a way that causes minimum suffering for the animals.

But do you think they will care?

They might put on a good display while they are being watched. But when they are not being watched, what is to stop them from going back to the old ways.

It will be like teaching them to drive safely.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Same same all over the world
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Personally I vote for banning all comments on dog meat threads, the same arguments get voiced every single time
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic