Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
User avatar
Freightdog
Expatriate
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am
Reputation: 182
Ireland

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Freightdog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Defending stargazy (gazer?) pie.... can one stoop to defend the indefensible?

That said, if my memory serves, it’s not fish head pie. It’s a fish pie with two whole fish arranged crossed through the middle of the dish and breaking the surface of the crust. Much like a desperate fish might do in a polluted waterway, of which there are many.

It’s not my cup of tea, though. The idea of it, at least. Rather like fish head soup, I’d prefer if the tricky bits were removed.

Fish served undecapitated is something of a norm in many places. As long as I can get at and remove the bones in a civilised manner, I’m content.
In a previous residence, the locals (hesitate to say natives, as it might imply savages*) would chew and suck on fish until they had a mouthful of bones to spit out. Whatever happened to fish knives?**



*upsetting the pc brigade is getting to easy
**if they ever had them, the staff would have pinched them
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
User avatar
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 am
Reputation: 100
France

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm

A movie about an eating seminar beetween friends, going into eating orgy.
La Grande Bouffe (70's). A great scandal when presented to the Cannes festival.

Nevermind, i'm not here anyway.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 2680
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 1192
Cambodia

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by clutchcargo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm

I love the way you eluded to defend it : in France, this pie would need a lawyer.

Some of our delicacies :

LES TRIPES :

Image

A mix of internal organs (you don't want the details). Make sure you don't have to practice volley-ball afterwise. Clear your schedule for the afternoon. Best with wine.

L'ANDOUILLETTE :

Image

Yes it DOES look like an old man's dick. And it taste like ass (clean ass, but how to be sure ?). However, i'm fine having it in my mouth. Best with wine.

COUILLES DE MOUTON ( sheep's balls. Yes.):

Image
Image
Image

Eeeew. But when you don't know what it actually is, it's delicious. You might get this prank when invited, so, beware. Best with wine.

CERVELLE D'AGNEAU (lamb's brain) :

Image

What can we say ? We just have to eat ANYTHING. I guess we would need a lawyer in other countries to justify that, but when it tastes good....Best with wine. And cognac to rinse well. And then die.

CASU MARZU a.k.a the living cheese :

Image

This smelly little living thing has more protein than expected. You might be using the worm as fishing baits, throw the cheese as a smellbomb in a war, repell US tourist with a 5 meter radius in touristic sites, it's really a useful one.
Best with wine, then rinse with cognac, then brush your teeth with an iron brush, you still won't be able to catch anybody for a kiss tonight. And you reputation will be gone (out of France of course. Maybe even a bit inside to be fair.)

DO NOT EAT ALL OF THESE IN ONE DAY. Your farts might be considered as weapon of mass destruction, and the US would have to wake up Colin and Condo to launch another airstrike. But if you do, best with wine, and a good doctor closeby.
Thanks for that.......not!

I'm not sure I'll recover from seeing those delicacies..or at least I'll need quite a few wines to fog the memory of those (especially that 'living' cheese!).

Actually the biggest take-out (no pun intended) is that none of that 'disgusting' food is any good you say without wine and then a cognac chaser.. :dragonchase:
User avatar
Duncan
Sir Duncan
Posts: 6664
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm
Reputation: 1537
Location: Wonder Why Central

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Duncan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:26 pm

Thank God we have KFC and McDonalds to eat.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
User avatar
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 am
Reputation: 100
France

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Ghostwriter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm

clutchcargo wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:16 pm


Actually the biggest take-out (no pun intended) is that none of that 'disgusting' food is any good you say without wine and then a cognac chaser.. :dragonchase:
Well i have to make 2 points clear :

- it's horrible food (say some people), BUT it's made with fine quality ingredients, so it's actually not crap food.
- it's always better with wine and cognac. Because it kills the worms, because it reduces the fat, but mostly because good + good = doubleplusgood.
That's why our tables are long food equations, to be tested.
Nevermind, i'm not here anyway.
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1085
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by hanno » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am

Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm
because it reduces the fat,
Huh?????
User avatar
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 am
Reputation: 100
France

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by Ghostwriter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:54 am

hanno wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am
Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm
because it reduces the fat,
Huh?????
Well the alcool helps dissolve the fat. Replacing wine with a Coke wouldn't help. That's partly why there is more fat asses in soda-heavy-drinking countries.
Nevermind, i'm not here anyway.
User avatar
hanno
Expatriate
Posts: 4692
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 12:37 pm
Reputation: 1085
Location: Siem Reap
Contact:
Germany

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by hanno » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 am

Ghostwriter wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:54 am
hanno wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 am
Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm
because it reduces the fat,
Huh?????
Well the alcool helps dissolve the fat. Replacing wine with a Coke wouldn't help. That's partly why there is more fat asses in soda-heavy-drinking countries.
I hope that you are not a doctor or dietician. Alcohol does not dissolve fat; on the contrary, it adds lots of empty calories to a meal. The reasons for French being less obese on average than other nationalities are quite different: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how ... tay-slim#1
User avatar
sigmoid
Expatriate
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reputation: 119
Vietnam

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by sigmoid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, grits (boiled cornmeal/coarse maize flour) are not meant to be eaten alone. Instead, they should be served with collard greens, hamhocks and/or fried chicken gizzards or livers, and biscuits, which in the US is just a type of bread, and gravy made from leftover grease from fried chicken.

Ham biscuits are great if you have proper salted ham.
chiltern
Expatriate
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 pm
Reputation: 8
Great Britain

Re: Disgusting food wars: US vs UK vs ?

Post by chiltern » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:33 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm
Ghostwriter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm
Freightdog wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:01 pm
clutchcargo wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 pm

Stargazy pie
Image
Here’s a great way to ruin a pie, let’s just stick a few fish heads in the pastry for an extra decorative touch.
I love the way you eluded to defend it.

In France, this pie would need a lawyer.
I lived in the UK for a long time and never saw or heard of this fish head pie.
Stargazy Pie is a Cornish delicacy made with pilchards which have been cleaned and boned but left with their heads on
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: phuketrichard and 65 guests